Water Methanol

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Anyone installed a water methanol kit to their cars? i'm thinking of buying the water methanol kit for my cupra tdi, they say gains of 70BHP but thats bull:censored: prob be around 20-25BHP max. any ideas, is it worth the upgrade even with FMIC?
cheers guys

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
thats devonutopia. He is running it in his furby and I think I'm right in saying he's pushing something like 260ps (130ps standard) but obviously he's got other mods too.

try PM'ing him or looking on briskoda

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
what is it can someone explain?

With the help of Wikipedia...

WIKIPEDIA said:
In internal combustion engines, water injection, also known as anti-detonant injection, is a method for cooling the combustion chambers of engines by adding water to the cylinder or incoming fuel-air mixture, allowing for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of engine knocking (detonation). This effectively increases the octane rating of the fuel, meaning that performance gains can be obtained when used in conjunction with a supercharger or turbocharger, altered spark ignition timing, and other modifications.

Anyone installed a water methanol kit to their cars? i'm thinking of buying the water methanol kit for my cupra tdi, they say gains of 70BHP but thats bull:censored: prob be around 20-25BHP max. any ideas, is it worth the upgrade even with FMIC?
cheers guys

DPJ & Probee are both running Water Meth, albeit on Leon's, but any questions may be worth asking them as both know what they are going on about. Sure there are others running it these fellas are the 1st to spring to mind. :)

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
You'll be lucky to see anything more than 20bhp on a DERV. Devonutopia is also running a hybrid turbo and nitrous. T.Spark saw a slight gain from fitting it, but nothing massive. More to reduce smoke levels.
Personally, at the stage you are at, I'd save the money and put it into a hybrid turbo fund ;)

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Isn't the guy, devonutipzxy (guy with the crazy fast fabia) running methanol on his tdi?

thats devonutopia. He is running it in his furby and I think I'm right in saying he's pushing something like 260ps (130ps standard) but obviously he's got other mods too.

try PM'ing him or looking on briskoda

cheers guys, checked out his furby on the tdi forum, will be asking questions soon

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
With the help of Wikipedia...

DPJ & Probee are both running Water Meth, albeit on Leon's, but any questions may be worth asking them as both know what they are going on about. Sure there are others running it these fellas are the 1st to spring to mind. :)

cheers mate, i have been doing my homework on this, still more research to do. will chat to these boys soon to clarify a few things

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
You'll be lucky to see anything more than 20bhp on a DERV. Devonutopia is also running a hybrid turbo and nitrous. T.Spark saw a slight gain from fitting it, but nothing massive. More to reduce smoke levels.
Personally, at the stage you are at, I'd save the money and put it into a hybrid turbo fund ;)

i have a hybrid turbo...gains depend on what other mods have been done. some ppl have seen gains of 50BHP on here, wheras others have seen 20BHP, so really depends on car, will work just as good on a DERV acording to some facts and figures :shrug:

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
There are a few of the mk1 leon and mk3 ibiza 20VT guys running it.

Largest gain I have seen is prob Dave's (DPJ) Leon, Running 300bhp without WMI and managed 362bhp with it :)

Only know of sparky running it on a mk4 ibiza.

Its something I would like to get at some point.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Ah didnt realise you already had a hybrid mate. What sort of power you making at the moment then?

Few others running it on mk4's too ;) Got a kit sat in my garage at home waiting to go on, and i know Mikey-h with the yellow hybrid PD130 is also running it.

May 22, 2009
South Wales
spitfire performance do kits, was tempted before but not sure if it would damage the engine!
how do u get refills?
wat sort of costs are we looking at for the kit?

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
There are a few of the mk1 leon and mk3 ibiza 20VT guys running it.

Largest gain I have seen is prob Dave's (DPJ) Leon, Running 300bhp without WMI and managed 362bhp with it :)

ye i was reading through his thread and seen the difference. think it makes a bigger difference on petrols tho. still doing some more research and then ill come up with questions.

Ah didnt realise you already had a hybrid mate. What sort of power you making at the moment then?

Few others running it on mk4's too ;) Got a kit sat in my garage at home waiting to go on, and i know Mikey-h with the yellow hybrid PD130 is also running it.

hybrid power...i couldn't tell u mate. its just been fitted along with alot of other mods. the car is not back on the road yet because when i was bleeding the brakes the nipple snapped and when using a tool to remove it the cast iron on the ap racing caliper cracked :( getting a new set (maybe today) and then remap will go on. then RR and then ill be able to say how much power lol. should manage around 240-255ish bhp and 390-400 lb.ft torque with a good map.

spitfire performance do kits, was tempted before but not sure if it would damage the engine!
how do u get refills?
wat sort of costs are we looking at for the kit?

i think snow performance have the best kit, if i get it it will be this one. you get a tank for it and mix methanol with water. you buy the methanol. im getting mine for £300 off a mate who brought me it back from america, think they cost £500 from jabba

Last edited:
May 22, 2009
South Wales
is it? wicked! not for now tho, just got the hybrid done on the car, went to get remap, changed the oil before to get it running nice and the thread came out with the sump bolt!!!

not the best of days today!

you think the methenol would give much gains, is it worth getting?

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
is it? wicked! not for now tho, just got the hybrid done on the car, went to get remap, changed the oil before to get it running nice and the thread came out with the sump bolt!!!

not the best of days today!

you think the methenol would give much gains, is it worth getting?

I've learned whenever you do a job or mod on the car keep few hundred aside incase something goes wrong.I think it would be worth getting,and would give gains,how much gains department on car and other mods.

another quick question, would you need to get the car mapped again with this added?

Nope,

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Ahhhh this could be a pretty intersting purchase,
so theoretically based on a min 20bhp gain that could take my tdi to 259bhp, more worryingly i think this would have a bad effect on my clutch as its pretty close to the lb/ft limit as it is.

how does it work? like is a controller req? does it run on the same principal as nos in the form of only being injected at full throttle?

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
The maximum you are going to see with a PD150 hybrid and meth, is 260bhp and 400ft/lbs.

Im know for a fact that Mikey saw very little if any gain from having methanol injection and T.Spark has only really seen an improvement in smoke levels, and a slightly better pull top end.

You dont need to get the car mapped again, but to get the most out of it, it will need the map tweaking.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members