What brand tires ?

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
err.. £180 per tyre? Either he was ripped off or is lying. I got 2 new fronts about a month ago. Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 - 195/55/16 (or is it 45) and they were £80 each.

As for budgetting £50 for a tyre - well... maybe you found a deal I havent but you would only get bog standard budget tyres for that and if you watch any motorsport, you know good tyres make a difference.

Quick off topic question - and i dont meant to be rude - but why are people doing up 1.4 Ibiza's to look like Cupras? Why not just buy a Cupra - they're not a lot of money any more.

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
...and if you just want cheap tyres that will do - maybe get some Avons? they always seem cheap and they were ok on my old alfa gtv

BOBAK i dont think that modifying a 1.4 with new wheels and a couple of painted bits here and there is going to make it cost more to insure do u,

its not about making it look like a cupra, its just about making it look smart

also it was actually my friend who bought the tyres fr £180 each so i now he is not lying,

r u a tyre expert r u? because i think you will find u can spend alot more than that on tyres m8,

plus im not going to watch motorsports and think, "i need to have the same tyres as them on my slow as **** 1.4", am i:think:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
£100 a tyre is probably overkill on a 1.4 though.

When I was looking for tyres I was willing to spend £75, but the Kumho's seemed like decent tyres, and were £94 fitted. And so far they grip pretty well, so that's what I'm basing my £50 theory on.

I wouldn't say they're crap tyres, I know they're not a great make, but I'm not a speed demon, nor am I taking my 1.4 round tracks, so they're great for me.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Quick off topic question - and i dont meant to be rude - but why are people doing up 1.4 Ibiza's to look like Cupras? Why not just buy a Cupra - they're not a lot of money any more.

I have a few Cupra parts on mine, it doesn't look like a Cupra though. I kept the standard bumper and modded it.

The only 1.4 that looked like a Cupra, was Riko's old one.

As has been said, the main reason people don't have Cupra's is insurance.

Having said that I could afford to insure a Cupra but I still wouldn't buy one. I don't think I'd ever by the same car twice, even if there was a difference in engine size.

Razor

Inked Up Nation
Oct 12, 2008
Outside Belfast
www.bebo.com
BOBAK i dont think that modifying a 1.4 with new wheels and a couple of painted bits here and there is going to make it cost more to insure do u,

its not about making it look like a cupra, its just about making it look smart

also it was actually my friend who bought the tyres fr £180 each so i now he is not lying,

r u a tyre expert r u? because i think you will find u can spend alot more than that on tyres m8,

plus im not going to watch motorsports and think, "i need to have the same tyres as them on my slow as **** 1.4", am i:think:

Dont think he has a clue to be honest lol
Just leave him be hahaaa

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
fair enough markmeus. the car looks very smart :) im on my second silver ibiza cupra (had a ban in the middle).

in reponse to dubroots... well, no im not an expert, but i am also not stupid. look around, get some quotes, talk to some tyre places and you'll find that £50 will get you an economy tyre (that my mum might use) and about £70-100ish will get you a decent tyre. Which one is up to you. £180 for one tyre on a 16@ 195 wheel is ridiculous and i'm sure everyone will agree. My friend has an M3 - 255/35/19 and those are about £200+ per tyre, but thats a whole different story.

When I mentioned motorsports - that is the testbed of technology and tyres and everything, and my point was tyres are very important as they are what keeps you on the road, so worth getting the right tyres for your purpose, whether it be a trackday, driving to work or whatever you might be doing.

As for the insurance, yeah - I think having modifications probably would make it more expensive to insure that a standard cupra. I have a bog standard Ibiza Cupra mk3 and I have enquired and modifications shoot the insurance through the roof, but maybe that's just my scenario.

Personally, I'm with Razor (thanks Razor) and I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about, so I recommend you go buy those £180 tyres and mod up that 1.4.
Have fun.

Last edited:

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
you lot need to look on camskill, you can buy decent tyres for under 50 quid each as i have recently done so, and they are 195/45/16 toyo proxy t1r's, so they aint too shabby :) they handle mint and if you can go to a local tyre fitter and offer them a sly couple of quid to fit them in their dinner break then your sorted :)

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Has anybody had any trouble with garages fitting a slight stretch, in that they won't do it for safety's sake etc? I'm wanting 195's but I should be running 205?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.