What car insurers are people with?

BocaBill

Mar 31, 2020
After striking out with a few more insurers this morning who again will not touch my post code, Brentacre came in quite good and then I asked Adrian Flux if they can compete...they did and got me a great deal a little cheaper!!

Kudos to AF!!! that's me sorted for another year!!

Reactions: Oliver Pawley

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
We were with LV last year but I have a issue with them so looked around and ended up with AXA and in fact cheaper
than the renewal and have paid £202 this year

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
I have tried many, too many, lot's of hours on the phone and came nowhere close to renewal price.

Used the webchat with my current provided and asked what they can do for me:

Took my dad off my insurance (who has held his license for 30+years with no accidents) which reduced it by £400 and they gave me a £200 discount for something which they didn't say.

Overall I'd say it's always worth phoning up and asking what they can do for you because they more than likely can.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Maypack

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I have tried many, too many, lot's of hours on the phone and came nowhere close to renewal price.

Used the webchat with my current provided and asked what they can do for me:

Took my dad off my insurance (who has held his license for 30+years with no accidents) which reduced it by £400 and they gave me a £200 discount for something which they didn't say.

Overall I'd say it's always worth phoning up and asking what they can do for you because they more than likely can.

Wow £600 off, what did you have to pay. My recent renewal for the Cupra was only £280

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Double wow, are you really accident prone or just pretty young
Very young, been driving for 2 years nearly

Payed 2.2k first year for my 1.4 leon fr with a black box
1600 for second without the box
Swapped to my 280 for the last months which was an extra £400
And now this quote

Accident free I should add

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

And now this quote

Looks like being old (but still a fast driver) has it's benefits, enjoy your motor.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

And now this quote

Just done my sons insurance - 19y/o - 1 years driving (no accidents) - black box on a 1.6 (non-turbo). £1600 with Direct Line and I thought that was good compared to the £2.5k last year.

BocaBill

Mar 31, 2020

And now this quote

Jesus, I remember paying those sorts of prices on my Fiesta RS Turbo and a 2ltr ecotec Calibra back in my 20's before blackbox's were even a thing, proper ring sting when your young.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Wifey is with Admiral, can't remember what it cost but hoping for the £25 refund that seemingly going around,every little helps, Honda is through Hastings at circa £170 and the Leon is more though she doesn't have as much ncb.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Im with Elephant because thats just who gave me a good quote years and years ago. I think i pay around 6-700 a year and im 30, no claims.

Although i'd be interested in a quote with mods declared out of curiosity

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Im with Elephant because thats just who gave me a good quote years and years ago. I think i pay around 6-700 a year and im 30, no claims.

Although i'd be interested in a quote with mods declared out of curiosity
Exactly who I'm with mate

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
After striking out with a few more insurers this morning who again will not touch my post code, Brentacre came in quite good and then I asked Adrian Flux if they can compete...they did and got me a great deal a little cheaper!!

Kudos to AF!!! that's me sorted for another year!!
Glad we could help out with your insurance.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: Syphon and BocaBill

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
Just use a comparison site. My 16 Golf R was £276 through a comparison site but at 49 and an old *******, it was bound to be reasonably cheap!

One of the few perks of being a "mature" driver. We also tend to get less grief from our friends with blue disco lights :D

Now, how much do people really want to pay for their insurance? And when I ask that I'm talking about the thing many don't stop to think about, what your insurance will actually cost you in the event of an accident. If your car is damaged you will have to pay the voluntary and compulsory excesses applicable on your policy, and it's pot luck whether you can recover these costs.

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?"

It's easy to go round thinking you're a careful driver and won't be involved in an accident, but it's possibly better to think you're a careful driver and probably will be involved in an accident at some point. It's also easy to look at that cheapest quote that's £60 cheaper than all the others, you know, the one with the £250 compulsory excess and a £350 voluntary excess. If you have fortune on your side you could save £60 on your insurance, but if the unexpected happens you'll have another £600 to pay which you may or may not get back, depending on the situation.

Adding excesses to lower a quote may seem tempting but it's a gamble. It's a gamble that frequently pays off but it's still making an assumption everyone else is going to drive sensibly as well as you, and that's something you can't guarantee 100%. Can you tell I'm an old git too? Sure I like to boot it as much as the next but I also like a clean licence and a car that's in one nicely-working piece.

My advice is always choose the lowest excess possible when using quote sites. The quotes will go up a bit but not by as much as you might expect. One year I was shopping for insurance on my old Mk2 GTI and (with a £100 comp. excess) the difference between a policy with a £250 voluntary excess and none was £1.34. I didn't crash the car that year but I was happy to pay an extra £1.34 knowing it would save me a potential £250 later on if something bad did actually happen. It might sound gloomy but if you plan for the worst you're prepared for it if it happens.

Last edited:

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
One of the few perks of being a "mature" driver. We also tend to get less grief from our friends with blue disco lights :D

Now, how much do people really want to pay for their insurance? And when I ask that I'm talking about the thing many don't stop to think about, what your insurance will actually cost you in the event of an accident. If your car is damaged you will have to pay the voluntary and compulsory excesses applicable on your policy, and it's pot luck whether you can recover these costs.

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?"

It's easy to go round thinking you're a careful driver and won't be involved in an accident, but it's possibly better to think you're a careful driver and probably will be involved in an accident at some point. It's also easy to look at that cheapest quote that's £60 cheaper than all the others, you know, the one with the £250 compulsory excess and a £350 voluntary excess. If you have fortune on your side you could save £60 on your insurance, but if the unexpected happens you'll have another £600 to pay which you may or may not get back, depending on the situation.

Adding excesses to lower a quote may seem tempting but it's a gamble. It's a gamble that frequently pays off but it's still making an assumption everyone else is going to drive sensibly as well as you, and that's something you can't guarantee 100%. Can you tell I'm an old git too? Sure I like to boot it as much as the next but I also like a clean licence and a car that's in one nicely-working piece.

My advice is always choose the lowest excess possible when using quote sites. The quotes will go up a bit but not by as much as you might expect. One year I was shopping for insurance on my old Mk2 GTI and (with a £100 comp. excess) the difference between a policy with a £250 voluntary excess and none was £1.34. I didn't crash the car that year but I was happy to pay an extra £1.34 knowing it would save me a potential £250 later on if something bad did actually happen. It might sound gloomy but if you plan for the worst you're prepared for it if it happens.

I’ve always opted for a slightly higher excess and have a lower premium. I haven’t had a fault accident in decades and I like to think if I have an accident, it’ll more likely be someone else’s fault as opposed to mine as I have a bit more experience than the average driver - if I have a no fault accident, I just claim the excess back from the other driver. It’s saved me more over the years than whatever my excess was in my last fault accident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rooster
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.