what have you done to your car today ?

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Yeah I know, was quick when it got the power down but struggled with the 0-60 would have been nice to see what it could do, but so much cash past a stage 2 to get that power.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Going to be undoing my ARB droplink bolts on the wishbone tomorrow, and after managing to snap one the last time I did that, was wondering if there was a best time to undo or loosen them? Last time, the nearside one snapped when I'd already got the offside one undone, so am wondering if undoing one puts more load on the other, making them more likely to snap?

I can either undo one, work on that side, then put it back together and undo the other, or if there's a better way of doing things, that'd be really helpful. It's already cost me one new wishbone, so I'd rather not have to buy another one.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Going to be undoing my ARB droplink bolts on the wishbone tomorrow, and after managing to snap one the last time I did that, was wondering if there was a best time to undo or loosen them? Last time, the nearside one snapped when I'd already got the offside one undone, so am wondering if undoing one puts more load on the other, making them more likely to snap?

I can either undo one, work on that side, then put it back together and undo the other, or if there's a better way of doing things, that'd be really helpful. It's already cost me one new wishbone, so I'd rather not have to buy another one.
I would invest in plenty of WD40 and soak it as best you can. Keep topping it up as you undo.

If it starts to squeak then stop, wind it back in and then try again from the beginning.

If it still squeaks then it may be time to apply heat.

Oh, as for which to do, I'd do both as it'sbest to have both wheels off the ground. If one is stuck then you can go back, if one breaks you have options

Reactions: iammooks

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I bought a new LUK clutch and flywheel. Old clutch is the original and is on 109k miles. It’s not slipping but I’m thinking about a future remap. I’m getting clutch fitted next week. Assuming all goes well i might start splashing some serious cash on an inter cooler and maybe even new fuel pump.
Questions if I do get the car mapped...
how important is it to replace upper boost pipes and turbo elbow with silicone ones? Or is this just engine bay bling?
And do I really need to go for a catch can? I renewed most of the PCV system a couple of years ago.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I replaced my hoses for silicone items.
I changed turbo elbow, the one to the inlet manifold and the one from the charge pipe all at the same time (id already fitted an airtek front mount intercooler and the pipes that come with the kit).
Seemed to make the throttle response more responsive/snappier.
The standard hose from the charge pipe felt soft and baggy.
Ive never liked the look of silicone hoses but i believe they make a slight difference.

Rich

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
As for catch tanks,im not sure.
I got one for mine recently. Not sure why but sort of gld i did.
My pcv pipework was blocked solid when i removed it all.
But maybe could/should have replaced it with all new pcv pipes etc and forgotten about it.

I leave the house early for work when its either foggy or raining out. Doing about 125 miles a week.
Now, every 2 weeks without fail i have to empty the thing out of water. PITA!
But then it begs the question. If my car is producing that much water in a fortnight, where would it be going if i didn't have a catch can?
Out the exhaust? Contaminating the oil?

Maybe a necessary evil lol.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
As for catch tanks,im not sure.
I got one for mine recently. Not sure why but sort of gld i did.
My pcv pipework was blocked solid when i removed it all.
But maybe could/should have replaced it with all new pcv pipes etc and forgotten about it.

I leave the house early for work when its either foggy or raining out. Doing about 125 miles a week.
Now, every 2 weeks without fail i have to empty the thing out of water. PITA!
But then it begs the question. If my car is producing that much water in a fortnight, where would it be going if i didn't have a catch can?
Out the exhaust? Contaminating the oil?

Maybe a necessary evil lol.
The moisture simply isnt there with the PCV set up installed, using the catch can set up creates the moisture. cant remember why but saw a massive in thread on vwvortex about it. People say if its a daily or sits outside in the winter then not to bother

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Mmmm, created a monster there then.

The moisture must still be there as its in the air the engine breathes in.
Must just blow it out of the exhaust again with the standard set up.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
f697a8f3322e4231b934eed554ef4264.jpg

Am I missing a horn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I bought a new LUK clutch and flywheel. Old clutch is the original and is on 109k miles. It’s not slipping but I’m thinking about a future remap. I’m getting clutch fitted next week. Assuming all goes well i might start splashing some serious cash on an inter cooler and maybe even new fuel pump.
Questions if I do get the car mapped...
how important is it to replace upper boost pipes and turbo elbow with silicone ones? Or is this just engine bay bling?
And do I really need to go for a catch can? I renewed most of the PCV system a couple of years ago.

Personally I would map before fuel pump. But at a mapper with pumps available. Then if yours is underperforming you can swap one out and carry on the mapping session.
Save you a bundle if it’s still up to the job.
FMIC definitely a good idea. Stops heat soak becoming a thing.
Over size TIP from Badger5 helps with gains too.
Lastly. Mapping is great.
Any gains are usually felt.
Even 25 gee gees makes a difference and more torque is always welcome.
My car runs without catch can and I have zero problems.
Silicone pipes aren’t necessary tbh unless you have a tear.
If you do change them over, buy Murray clamps to hold it all together properly.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: g60stu

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Cue the Benny Hill music

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I'll have to drop you a message.

Might have to wait until later though, as I'm worried I've just snapped my front wishbone bolt. The offside came out really clean, so thought the nearside would be easy, given the wishbone was changed recently. Sprayed with lube beforehand and let it soak in, but got the socket on there and after a bit of an effort there was a loud bang.

To be honest I haven't gone back to see if it's broken, just shoved my tools in the car and came inside. The bolt isn't free or loose, so it could just be that it was letting go, but I really don't want to have to deal with a sheered off bolt stuck in my subframe.

Any thoughts?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
d6bbfe882e310b96ee6d9b947fcc9a5c.jpg

IT'S NOT SNAPPED...!

Oh man... There aren't words for how relieved I am. I thought I was going to need a new subframe.

I'm going to have to have words with the garage - he likes his noisy gun much too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.