what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Every year, Brighton gets covered in a layer of pollen and it sucks because there's no escaping it. So today I washed the car, in the full knowledge I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be covered in dust.

Made me realise that my bonnet spray job needs work. It looks better than covered in pollen and gull poo, but I think it deserves a respray.

How much are people paying these days for a job like that? The council hasn't made put a ULEZ in yet or made it prohibitively expensive to buy a parking permit for a Euro 3 diesel, so I've got it for at least another year and having seen how shiny your cars are, feel like I'm standing out for the wrong reasons, and the car hasn't cost me much this year so deserves something nice for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yellow fr

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Got the L plates ready for my son who turns 17 tomorrow! He's got his own car, but he's eager to drive my boy. 😁 Won't be long before we've got a few more Leon's on the drive hehe.

Reactions: Sparkie

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Every year, Brighton gets covered in a layer of pollen and it sucks because there's no escaping it. So today I washed the car, in the full knowledge I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be covered in dust.

Made me realise that my bonnet spray job needs work. It looks better than covered in pollen and gull poo, but I think it deserves a respray.

How much are people paying these days for a job like that? The council hasn't made put a ULEZ in yet or made it prohibitively expensive to buy a parking permit for a Euro 3 diesel, so I've got it for at least another year and having seen how shiny your cars are, feel like I'm standing out for the wrong reasons, and the car hasn't cost me much this year so deserves something nice for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay bar, polish and wax. The pollen grains won't adhere as easily then.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I've had very good results with Armorall Shield Wax and i have used allot of good wax's, before Appling for best results use a good polish like autoglym super resin polish, the car beads water for months even longer, Armorall works really well on plastics and rubbers also so no need for separate products i was shocked first time i used it over all the expensive gear I've used

Reactions: Alexis27

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Got the L plates ready for my son who turns 17 tomorrow! He's got his own car, but he's eager to drive my boy. Won't be long before we've got a few more Leon's on the drive hehe.

They grow sooo fast
Yeah promised my lad I’d keep the Lion for when he’s passed his test. My lad has become quite the sim racer, over last few years.
Going to have to dial it back when his test comes!!

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: BadBoy03

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
They grow sooo fast
Yeah promised my lad I’d keep the Lion for when he’s passed his test. My lad has become quite the sim racer, over last few years.

😁 Crazy innit. My son and I have been racing the Subaru Impreza & Evo lancer on Forza 4. Thought it best we go out for a 'Sunday drive' on there, before hitting the real tarmac. 😆

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
They grow sooo fast

Time certainly does fly by mate. I remember when your son took on your old Cupra. Lucky kids 😁

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Time certainly does fly by mate. I remember when your son took on your old Cupra. Lucky kids

Holy Moly! Good memory!
Yes years back!!
one of the bigger boys. Wow. He’s now at Tesla in Holland!
Little one is a teen now!

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Holy Moly! Good memory!
Yes years back!!
one of the bigger boys. Wow. He’s now at Tesla in Holland!
Little one is a teen now!

No way mate! That's nuts, well done 👍 I think my kids will be at home until 30's 😬 Good to hear all well.

Last edited:

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Today removed old rear suspension bushes.
Yup, they're utterly butterly bollixed.
Easy peasey.

Suggested method is............................
Raise rear onto axle stands.
Remove wheels.
Remove springs if you have spring compessors, one upside down to the other.
Leave dampers alone, as they will hang it all in place.
Release flexi brake pipe where it attaches to the beam on each side by pulling the metal spring clip out with a screwdriver.
Wiggle brake pipe to unseat the hose from the bracket.
The biggest pain in the arse are the brake pipes tying everything up.
NOW HERE IS THE TRICK!
If you had an old Datsun, the bracket that held the female end of a flexi brake hose to the bodywork, had a 5mm slot
cut into it.
This let you once you pulled the spring clip off, remove the brake pipe from the support bracket without undoing the hydraulic joint.
VW missed this trick, but if you get a dremel, and shove the brake pipe to give a little clearance, cut your own 5mm slot in the support bracket, the slot to be opposite the slot in the spring clip.
Now the pipe can be freed from the beam, but still connected to the calipers.
Put a jack under the beam.
Remove the bush bolts, 18mm.
Lower beam, checking the brake pipes stay free.
Stick a cold chisel or jemmy into the atomic trefoil in the center of the bush, put a big wrench on chisel and twist the center to death.
It should rip out.
This leaves room to fold the plastic outer of the bush into the vacated space with a big screwdriver & hammer.
Undo a large hack saw & reassemble with the blade inside the bush void.
Cut he folded plastic, and now shove the wreckage out.
5 minutes per side.
You did buy the proper bush puller to reinstall the new bushes, didn't you!
I'll shove on some photo's tomorrow.

Reactions: mty12345

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Ordered some new brake lines, as one has sprung a leak, just as I was feeling smug.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Sat waiting for the hoses that were supposed to turn up on Friday, to turn up today (Saturday)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members