what have you done to your car today ?

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
The door seals on the drivers door have now been fixed (I hope).

Removed the door card to find this little lot:

The culprit was the dreaded seal from the groove the runs around the ancillaries carrier, which had rotted in places.

After the application of 8mmx8mm butyl tape and some generous pouring of water down the window pane to test, the problem seems to be fixed. Its now draining from the drain holes beneath the door, instead of into my car. I'm sure mother nature will put it to the ultimate test sometime this evening.

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
be careful of the one under the scuttle it is sealed with the same shite seal

I've plenty of butyl tape left if that needs treating too. There's no other leaks at the moment *touch wood* so hopefully thtis'll be it for now. Just got to dry the bleeding interior out now...

Standard speakers :) ?

Yep! :D They sound fine to me, so I see no reason to change them!

Garnaby

Sep 25, 2012
Blackpool
The door seals on the drivers door have now been fixed (I hope).

Removed the door card to find this little lot:

The culprit was the dreaded seal from the groove the runs around the ancillaries carrier, which had rotted in places.

After the application of 8mmx8mm butyl tape and some generous pouring of water down the window pane to test, the problem seems to be fixed. Its now draining from the drain holes beneath the door, instead of into my car. I'm sure mother nature will put it to the ultimate test sometime this evening.

I need to do this to mine ive just ordered some of the Butyl tape. Did you clean all the residue off once the old seal was removed?

Azza_

Sep 17, 2008
South Shields
just done the break light switch, didnt even realise it was faulty but after fitting my freebie cupra r spoiler i was checking the brake lights when a bus wpulled in behind me and NOTHING.

10quid later and abit swearing at the dash and we are back in bussiness!

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
I need to do this to mine ive just ordered some of the Butyl tape. Did you clean all the residue off once the old seal was removed?

Yeah, I made damn sure there was as little of the old stuff left as I could help. I spent 45 minutes cleaning a groove 6 inches long! White spirit helps a lot. Better to spend time prepping than have the new seal not bond properly and having to do it all over again! The 'good' old stuff should peel off and leave no residue like mine did. Only the rotten stuff stays behind. I used a cheap eBay forked trim tool and cut a notch into one of the forks to get into the gap to scrape as space is tight.

Hope this helps!

Sprogpole

Jul 20, 2012
Leicester
Failed MOT on two items.

New track rod end fitted, it was seriously stuck to the rod. I had to heat it up hotter than hell.
Tomorrow’s job is the nearside inner CV boot. I wonder how many teeth I’ll lose getting the axel nut off. Any tips on this?

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Aug 22, 2013
Gloucester
Really need to do my door seals and dry the interior but I'm more worried an oil leak. Back right side of my engine looks like its got oil or some black crap on it. My mechanic reckons its some thing to do with an oil seal in the head gasket which to fix he says I need a new head gasket, about £700 after labour. Oil can be seen on the road where I have driven leaving rainbows on the wet roads but the leak appears to be slow. This ties in nicely with my oil warning light on the dash board. Thoughts of how I might save £100s on repairs when I have already spend more than the car cost me in repairs but don't have enough for a newer car?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xDaNx

Made my own TB to map sensor pipe for nearly half the price of a full silicone one, pretty sure it's wider than those too.
After I took the old one off I measured it and it's only something like 51mm ID, surely that can't be good for performance?

Anyway, old vs new:
3e4y4ygy.jpg

ety5upas.jpg

Could do with a little tidy up but happy with how it turned out :)

For anyone interested, all I used was;
1x 90 degree bend 65mm
1x 90 degree reducer 60mm > 65mm
1x 100mm alloy joiner 65mm

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise