• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
I also had this issue and there was tension on the sideskirt, due to the jacking point on the car being crushed over the years. By trimming the sideskirt, I was able to relieve the tension and the cover clipped in again no issue

Before:
photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne


After
photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne
same as mine, jacking point was crushed on both sides, the lip ended up just coming away in my hands so i got the lip fully replaced on both sides and then the skirt sat perfect
 

Attachments

  • b5286679-5e53-4126-b094-fab16cfa18f5.jpg
    b5286679-5e53-4126-b094-fab16cfa18f5.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 34
  • bff7686c-9645-48f4-9072-a96d569ad520.jpg
    bff7686c-9645-48f4-9072-a96d569ad520.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 37
I can believe it mate, there is no methodical approach, just replace, replace & hope for the best.
I now have my car home & big thanks to the tow truck driver, he got him home effortlessly & efficiently, even said what a lovely car it was & he had one back in the day 👍. Unfortunately I am cheesed off with the garage, talk about disrespectful. The centre wheel cap was still on the passenger seat, this was like it in August & now it's missing it's front jack point cover & the rear hangs down, no longer clipping. I have complained, asking for it back or replaced, but I doubt Ill hear back. They film the cars on arrival for proof, so I made that clear it is their damage & I have a photo too.View attachment 55436View attachment 55435View attachment 55437
piss take and them covers are not cheap now but the one not clipping might still be ok as i have had the same issue, all i did was spray silicon on the tabs then they click in fine as they can be stiff to get in and they should have lanyards on them, mine broke so used garden wire, they must still have the cap and cover in the garage as you want that wheel cover back also as you cant get them new,
 
  • Like
Reactions: BadBoy03
same as mine, jacking point was crushed on both sides, the lip ended up just coming away in my hands so i got the lip fully replaced on both sides and then the skirt sat perfect
that happened to me luck no rust as there was unseal still there but i had to straighten the sill lips then added the old type underseal now the skirt don't look bellowed , told the garage as wasn't happy and do so if they take the wheels off, the gimp who did it is not there now
 
that happened to me luck no rust as there was unseal still there but i had to straighten the sill lips then added the old type underseal now the skirt don't look bellowed , told the garage as wasn't happy and do so if they take the wheels off, the gimp who did it is not there now
yeah whenever it needs to go to a garage i tell them not to use the sills now, always use the chassis legs and rear beam, whenever i jack it up myself i drive it my plastic ramps first them use the chassis legs. when i got the sill lips fixed i wire brushed all surface rust and used vactan rust treatment on the whole underneath then when that dried i used dinitrol underseal and touch wood its been good since, 3 mot's with no advisories so far since then.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BadBoy03
yeah whenever it needs to go to a garage i tell them not to use the sills now, always use the chassis legs and rear beam, whenever i jack it up myself i drive it my plastic ramps first them use the chassis legs. when i got the sill lips fixed i wire brushed all surface rust and used vactan rust treatment on the whole underneath then when that dried i used dinitrol underseal and touch wood its been good since, 3 mot's with no advisories so far since then.
it is a lift point but they don't use the correct lift puck as they have a V in the middle , you can buy them for your jack at home made of hard rubber and you will have no problem i did have the old style ramps but the hit the bumpers on newer cars and there is hydraulic ramps but dam expensive but verygood , heard good things about dinitrol but i just use the waxoil underseal as it still stops the problem as some of the rust treatment can easy wash off and need doing every year
 
the plastic ramps are good, they have a more gradual incline so easier to get the car up, might be a problem with front splitters though. i do have some of the v shaped rubbers for my axle stands, will need to get a couple for my jacks.

the dinitrol is like waxoyl as in its a black oily substance that you use a spray gun with but it goes harder over time so its not always that sticky mess when you touch it, ive always used vactan for rust as its made for the marine industry and if its good for boats in constant contact with water then it should be good with cars, its also a primer so can be painted over when dry, ive used it on various cars over the last 12 years now and i can recommend it (although i think its changed name now to aquasteel)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nam-uk
the plastic ramps are good, they have a more gradual incline so easier to get the car up, might be a problem with front splitters though. i do have some of the v shaped rubbers for my axle stands, will need to get a couple for my jacks.

the dinitrol is like waxoyl as in its a black oily substance that you use a spray gun with but it goes harder over time so its not always that sticky mess when you touch it, ive always used vactan for rust as its made for the marine industry and if its good for boats in constant contact with water then it should be good with cars, its also a primer so can be painted over when dry, ive used it on various cars over the last 12 years now and i can recommend it (although i think its changed name now to aquasteel)
used it years waxoil underseal well i had a tin for years and waxoil so not run out yet and it just works .. that vactan sounds good as i use a rust converter for other jobs then paint on outdoor jobs .. you got a link for that ?
 

and Aquasteel is basically the same product.

 
  • Like
Reactions: Nam-uk
My win for the day... Steering rack bush is located properly now.

59215a06bc0ef0f9a41907fc93883786.jpg


fecef5b63cba638c0c68b109200f25aa.jpg


Held the pipes out of the way with some bungee, then wrapped some webbing around the bush, a good hard pull from the wheel well and it popped into place. Now all I need are the bolts I ordered a week ago to arrive and that's done.

14ff9ccbc337e3adfa3eea44feae4456.jpg


Got the thermostat changed without taking out the alternator too. Had to take the boost pipe out though to make the space.

Thought it was a good day, but then I lost the bottom bolt in the engine bay. I've looked for hours and no sign, but there's nothing it could have fallen into there that would cause any catastrophic problems, so I've just given up and ordered new ones.

Leon life...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
a good long magnet is a godsend for that type of thing, when i did my thermostat i had to go fishing for about an hour to find the bolt, eventually got it from the bottom on a small ledge just above the sump, just had to randomly poke it around until it hooked something, ended up pulling out a random 8mm nut too, god knows were that came from but it was rusty so had been there a while.
 
  • Like
Reactions: iammooks
a good long magnet is a godsend for that type of thing, when i did my thermostat i had to go fishing for about an hour to find the bolt, eventually got it from the bottom on a small ledge just above the sump, just had to randomly poke it around until it hooked something, ended up pulling out a random 8mm nut too, god knows were that came from but it was rusty so had been there a while.

I just can't work it out. I dug about with my magnet on a stick, got my endoscope in there too, even tried the old trick of ordering new bolts, because you always find it when you've paid out for new ones. Nothing. It doesn't make sense.

Randomly enough, I did find the head of the bolt I had to hacksaw off from the back of the engine on the ground in the middle of the car, but still no sign of the thermostat one.

I'll try that ledge in front of the sump tomorrow. Only other place it really could be (in the engine bay at least) is that it could have fallen into one of the fans, but they spin fine at least.

Two weeks off the road now - most of it waiting for bolts and parts to arrive. I'll get on with putting the intake back together in the meantime and hope work doesn't notice I've not done anything for the past couple of days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I just can't work it out. I dug about with my magnet on a stick, got my endoscope in there too, even tried the old trick of ordering new bolts, because you always find it when you've paid out for new ones. Nothing. It doesn't make sense.

Randomly enough, I did find the head of the bolt I had to hacksaw off from the back of the engine on the ground in the middle of the car, but still no sign of the thermostat one.

I'll try that ledge in front of the sump tomorrow. Only other place it really could be (in the engine bay at least) is that it could have fallen into one of the fans, but they spin fine at least.

Two weeks off the road now - most of it waiting for bolts and parts to arrive. I'll get on with putting the intake back together in the meantime and hope work doesn't notice I've not done anything for the past couple of days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been there done that but I have a tremedous fear that the ghosted bolt will ruin the engine. So I never stop looking until I found it. If it isn't on the floor I always think is tucked away on a pulley or a belt or inside some crate waiting to shoot out and do some damage. Last time I spent 1 hour looking and found it 10 meters away from the car (after a good swearing on the damn thing).
 
a good long magnet is a godsend for that type of thing, when i did my thermostat i had to go fishing for about an hour to find the bolt, eventually got it from the bottom on a small ledge just above the sump, just had to randomly poke it around until it hooked something, ended up pulling out a random 8mm nut too, god knows were that came from but it was rusty so had been there a while.
your not wrong lol ive even got one of the cheap extendable ones with a light on the end
 
  • Like
Reactions: ExiledWeegie
Got the old Ibiza through the German MOT yesterday after sorting the rear brakes. Wheel cylinders both with a seized piston. Now it's got all new brake parts plus a new bearing. Basket of a job to get the horizontal adjustment bar connected on to the spring. Lost some skin on my fingers but done it in the end. I've spent nearly as much in a year replacing parts on this car as it cost me to buy!