What is this fallen out from under the car?

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
Driving home today and heard a massive bang and pulled over and this had fallen out of the bottom of my car...

23052008068.jpg

23052008066.jpg

23052008067.jpg

Any ideas to what this is?

Thanks

brad1

i took my undertray, pain is the ass when i go to service it so instead of removing i have just left off and will put back on when i go to sell the car in a few years ;) but in your case you hardly have anything of it lol, it is to protect the sump mainly if im right lol

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
i thought it was something to do with the sump. Might just rip it off and leave it for now. Thanks for advice people

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
i would get another one fast!! its for handling reasons!! air is pushed in to the front of the car when driving,over the bonnet and under the front spoiler (think of wind tunnel) under the car to make air flow smoothley around the chassis! with out it you my experience whistling noise,and flutter from under neath the car!! (@ speed) (as well as it being there to protect your your sump and components! hope this helps!!!

andycupra

status subject to change
under trays are around the £100 mark. maybe just under.

They are there for two reasons, air flow etc, but the main one is that it provides some protection to the engine but not in the way most people think as it provides little protection to the sump in terms of impacts.
Its more to prevent water, stones etc from damaging electrics, pipes, belts etc.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
see if you can find one at a breakers - probably the cheapest option; and its not like it matters than it is second hand, no one is going to see it.

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
cheers for the advice. slim20vt, now you come to mention it, there was a whistling noise at high speeds. I wish there were some seat leons at our breakers yard! will have a look online, cheers lads

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
i would get another one fast!! its for handling reasons!! air is pushed in to the front of the car when driving,over the bonnet and under the front spoiler (think of wind tunnel) under the car to make air flow smoothley around the chassis! with out it you my experience whistling noise,and flutter from under neath the car!! (@ speed) (as well as it being there to protect your your sump and components! hope this helps!!!

Lol, I've not had one on mine for over a year, get no whistling noise, handling isn't changed, and i don't do any off roading so my sump doesn't take a poundng!

I wouldn't worry about it too much!

iainhome

InstantKarma
Jan 27, 2008
Hamilton, Scotland
yeah same here, mines came off a while back, just ripped rest of it off and left it as dealer quoted £150 to fit new one, he told me normal seat leons don't have them, only the cupras, so it can't be too dangerous without, only stops large stones, etc from hitting the sump

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I haven't got one on my 110 se but it looks like I should have. I didnt realise it was missing when I bought it or I wuold have asked for one - £150 no thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The petrol cars have a small undertray, the diesels have a larger one that goes back under the sump and has sound insulation. The Cupra R has one that is even larger, with air ducts and intakes in it. The Cupra one is probably too important to the airflow to do without, the diesel one helps with sound deadening.

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
Was only reading this thread the other day...

Picked up a new car this weekend, a Volvo 440 that my uncle has given me (13 year old car, 7500 miles on the clock, and its immaculate - I've taken it so I can reduce the mileage I've been putting on the Leon). Anyway I think the undertray flew out from underneath it on the M25 this morning! I heard a big bang, looked in the rear-view and saw some black bits flying around so assumed I'd had a blow out. When I slowed down though a big, flat, black piece flew out the back (luckily it was very early so there was no one behind me!) and when I pulled over to have a look I could see nothing wrong... so I can only assume it was the undertray. I'll go with the later posts here and hope its nothing too significant.

Didn't half $@*% myself though, I'd already seen a Corsa on its roof and a 308 with both ends smashed courtesy of the crash barriers and the torrential rain this morning... :blink:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.