what is your mpg at 80mph

Oct 12, 2005
Hi guys and gals. I was wondering what your mpg was at 80mph give or take when cruising on a big private road. At the moment I am struggling to get more than 40mpg out of my o5 leon fr tdi.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I can get on average anything between the high 40s to the low 50s. Then again, I have over 70K miles on the clock, so the engine is nicely worn in.

How many miles do you have on the clock? Perhaps the windy conditions has not helped....

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Mines about 40-44 at the moment.

I read something somewhere about "winter derv" now been at the pumps which isn't as good as standard stuff. Can't remember where I read it though.

My last tank was the Ultra low sulphur stuff aswell which I don't think the car really likes.

Oct 12, 2005
Why do people get such different results at same speed. I know alot of factors come into play but I have never really averaged over 50mpg. I do get over 450 to a tank though. Is that good?

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
80mph on cruise control - I can usually get it over 50mpg going up and down the M5 to the Midlands. I usually prefer to come off the A47 though and the mpg plummets as I have a bit of fun between all the roundabouts. :D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Reasons for different mpg:

Road surface
Tyres
Slipstream affect
Throttle use (on/off/on/off/on/off or steady)

450 to a 55L tank on a TDi is 'bad' in my eyes

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
And on how heavy your foot is, how you go between gears, whether you're re-mapped or not etc etc .... so many influences i'd have thought.

I don't think mine has EVER been over 50mpg :)

Round town raking it - 350
Round town babying it - 450
Motorways raking it - 450
Motorways babying it - 550

When i look at the fuel consumption of the diesel, i don't compare it to other Tdi ... i compare it to my previous honda and it's 50% better in every scenario - end result i'm happy.

Last edited:

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
In a 110TDI with Millers Diesel Power Plus and Shell Extra I average around 54mpg going from worthing to essex via A24, M23, M25 and A12. Lots of roundabouts and uphill sections.

Fuel has a big factor in fuel economy as does the wind! When it was stormy t'other week I average 46mpg from worthing to the new forest going to the missus parents. Same journey with no wind (same amount of luggage and same tank of fuel) was 58mpg!

Millers has made a big difference to my economy for me.

stan_blade

I noticed a sudden drop in MPG with fuel I used from tescos three weeks ago, on that tank I did a lot of long motorway trips (i think i struggled to get 450miles out of the tank).
Since I have refilled at another fuel station, I have seen a dramatic increase in MPG, although i did recheck my tyre pressures as they were a little low.
My cupra has done 38k now.
Not looking forward to the 40k service cost :-(

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Instantaneous readout in my Passat PD130 at 80mph in 6th (2550rpm) is 55 - 60mpg.

On a m-way run of more than 20 miles, cruising at 80-ish, I will always get 52-55mpg on the computer for the trip (depending on wind etc) which is a real 50mpg.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I'm lucky if I get 300 miles out of a tank... But then again I bought a car to get me from A to B at a speed and comfort level that I wanted. Sod fuel economy... It's not a pissing contest and whoever has the highest figure isn't the winner. And most of all... nobody cares!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.