What suspension for sprints?

Gunnie

Sep 9, 2009
Merseyside
Well ive just got my race licence :)

Im planning on doing a few sprints next year, i havent done much to my car yet,ive put Whiteline anti roll bars front and rear and had new disc and pads fitted, its going to P-Torque soon for a stage 1 map( not sure to go for the stage 2), not sure what type of suspension to go for as my first race is April so have a few months to get things sorted.

Any idea's to help me decide what suspension and going to need more power......

My car is a 03 1.8T Leon Cupra................

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Excellent - 'Three Sisters' track is at Wigan - very technical

There have been a lot of changes to the regulations for class 1 for 2010 so make sure you have read the latest regs available here

http://www.speedchampionship.com/

You have Rob Wakelin in your class in a Scooby Impreza, and he has just won the Championship overall, and set some circuit class records to boot.......VERY quick car and driver

1c is usually full of scoobys and evos these days, but the odd Porsche also

There have also been some changes to equipment needed - helmets need top be Snell 2005 really now, you need fireproof gloves, and as of the end of next year you need an FIA-certified suit (proban suits are being banned)

Good to hear that another SCN member is going to be out there in 2010

Gunnie

Sep 9, 2009
Merseyside
Excellent - 'Three Sisters' track is at Wigan - very technical

There have been a lot of changes to the regulations for class 1 for 2010 so make sure you have read the latest regs available here

http://www.speedchampionship.com/

You have Rob Wakelin in your class in a Scooby Impreza, and he has just won the Championship overall, and set some circuit class records to boot.......VERY quick car and driver

1c is usually full of scoobys and evos these days, but the odd Porsche also

There have also been some changes to equipment needed - helmets need top be Snell 2005 really now, you need fireproof gloves, and as of the end of next year you need an FIA-certified suit (proban suits are being banned)

Good to hear that another SCN member is going to be out there in 2010

Rob:

I now there will be a lot of quick Scoobys and Evos in my class but im only doing it for the buzz i now im not going to win anything plus I have a mate in the modified class with one quick Scooby.................

What class you in??

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
3b - modified production 1400-2000cc - with a mk2 Ibiza 16V GTI (totally stripped out, plastic windows, runs on slicks)

Didn't enter the championship this year as have moved house and didn't get out until June - went to the Aintree sprint in Sept and won the class for the first time - well chuffed

Are currently debating whether to enter for 2010 as the clothing and helmet regs changes mean I have to spend at least £500, if not more, on new kit when there was nothing wrong with what I had this year - not happy. Probably will though ;)

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
suspension wise - latest regs for class 1 are:

Suspension;The suspension type and mountings must remain the same as that fitted by the vehicle manufacturer. The shock absorbers may be of any make and may be uprated from standard. Adjustable spring platform struts are permitted. The mounting method and position must remain as specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Springs are free but must retain their original location. Bushes may be changed for similar polymer materials, but rose-joints or similar metal joints are prohibited unless fitted as the vehicle manufacturer’s specified option. The fitting of spherical type joints is not permitted, except as the top mounting of a suspension strut.

So you are allowed to fit struts with a spherical bearing top mount, but no other rose joints in the suspension.

Suspension is largely driven by what you can afford - whats your budget?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Best thing you can start wit is to change out the front end set up for the LCR one, this gives you a better starting place.
Very interested in seeing how you get on wit this.
I'm getting my LCR ready for a more serious track day season next year.
hope all goes well for you

Gunnie

Sep 9, 2009
Merseyside
My mates in the modified production class;)

My plans are: January down at P- Torque for remap them Jetex exhaust system fitted then look at the suspension and just see how it feels then............

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
He was in roadgoing production last year with a scooby (1c) - is he staying in that class in 2010 then?

Got to be careful with interior mods for class 1 as your not allowed to do any :)

Gunnie

Sep 9, 2009
Merseyside
He was in roadgoing production last year with a scooby (1c) - is he staying in that class in 2010 then?

Got to be careful with interior mods for class 1 as your not allowed to do any :)

Rob i have no plans for the interior;)

Ians in 3c class next year.......................

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.