What tyres do you have?

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Currently on Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's (ignore that as they are coming off this week).

Spent most of this afternoon cleaning the summer alloys inside and out.

Currently they have Conti sport contact 2's on. OK tyre. Good even wear and very good in the dry. Just the wet I find them a bit wayward when pushed. The F1's on the Honda are so much better in the wet.

There are a couple of members raving about the 3's on this thread which surprises me as both the original Sport Contacts (shod as per factory on my Leon) and the 2's have exactly the same characteristics. I wouldn't have expected too much difference between the 2's and 3's. But hey ho.

I am putting T1R's on the Pug next week on the summer alloys and will see how they perform before they go on the Leon if they hold up well. Maz has them on his PD Leon and I think he's finding them very satisfactory considering the 240bhp or so he's pushing out.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
i run michelin pilot sport, they seem very grippy, infact its hard to lose traction since have them fitted all round. bad point is the price £600 for 4 tyres

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Ive always gone with michelin pilot sport, expensive though, just fitted some new tyres on rear an decided to try out goodyear as these were getting good reviews, one thing that has improved on the front is having the wishbone bushes uprated to poly ones as now the tyres are worn completely even across tyre, before they wore on inside edge. It makes it easier to pay for expensive tyres if they wear evenly.

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
I generally run the cheapest tyres I can find, sometimes even put some air in too (though not often...). Done the 'best tyres money can buy' thing and come to the conclusion that paying £120 when you can pay £60, get the same wear out of them and just need to change your driving style (from 'frenetic' to 'seat of the pants hold on I think we're going to crash cause the road feels icy even though its sunny') to suit. That said, I'm doing much better these days, getting nearly 10k miles from the front when I used to get 6-7k. Must be getting older, fatter, slower.

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Ran Avon ZZ3s on my MR2 Turbos last one pushing around 260-270hp and they were great tyres, very grippy lasted over a year and that was with 2 trackdays and servera trips and multiple runs at Santa Pod.

Im not sympathetic on my tryes when out on track or on a spirtited drive, and on a mid engine rwd turbo car they did fill me with confidence, having used eagle F1s as well on the MR2 they were about the same just the AVONs lasted longer.

Going to try some BRIDGESTONE RE050A next as heard good things about them.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I had RE050A's on an S3 and they weren't as good as the F1's. Much preferred the F1's wet and dry.
The Avon ZZ3's on the Leon were good, and lasted 20k front, 40k rear. Replaced fronts with Pirelli Rosso which are crap as far as I'm concerned.
Had an Octy II VRS TFSi until about 6 weeks ago and ran Mich Sport Pilot Exalto and they were alright, but the Toyo Proxes T1-R that replaced them changed the car - fantastic. Just gripped and gripped. Now I'm looking for 4 tyres for the Leon and can't get Proxes till April 12th and I'm not sure it will wait as I'm getting very close to the limit. Tempted at the Yoko Parada S2's. Seem good value too but I really set out to get me some Proxes......... decisions, decisions!!

Last edited:

Witalik

ROTTERDAM FEYENOORD
Dec 28, 2008
Netherlands
i am driving Hankook ventus S1 evo 225-40-18

waaayyyy better than the goodyear eagle F1 that where on it before these

i did the rear wheels last week and it feels like i have a new suspension and all because of the improvement !!

+i get them cheap with a mate of mine :D

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Did a 200 mile trip yesterday with over 80-90 miles of it being twisty / empty A roads and very wet... I was pushing on hard and the car felt completely planted at all times. I was doing similar speeds to what I would do in the dry...

Hankook EVO V12's absolutely rock.

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
I love the look of the Parada's :D

DSC_0873.jpg

Grip like **** sticks to a blanket too :D

ian cupra r

Just got a bargain of the year - needed 3 tyres - been searching on here for best tyre and the web - best buy was from Ebay. Sorry but people need to spell the tyres correctly

Got 2 brand new Pirelle P Rosso Tyres for £60.00 each ( Spelt Pirelle with and F at the start) brand new with new tyres with the lable still on them and got a Dunlop Sport Maxx also for £60.00 - though he spelt dunlop as dunloop) so in total £180.00 deliveryed and £7.50 for each wheel to be fitted - considering each tyre is around £120.00 new - I'll do the maths

Was slightly dubious on buying from Ebay seller but has worked in my favour - Just need to think if I need to swap around as Pirelle on the front and dunlop on rear so unsure which will wear the best

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
I presume you have a matching Dunlop with similar wear to put on the other axle?

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
I had RE050A's on an S3 and they weren't as good as the F1's. Much preferred the F1's wet and dry.
The Avon ZZ3's on the Leon were good, and lasted 20k front, 40k rear. Replaced fronts with Pirelli Rosso which are crap as far as I'm concerned.
Had an Octy II VRS TFSi until about 6 weeks ago and ran Mich Sport Pilot Exalto and they were alright, but the Toyo Proxes T1-R that replaced them changed the car - fantastic. Just gripped and gripped. Now I'm looking for 4 tyres for the Leon and can't get Proxes till April 12th and I'm not sure it will wait as I'm getting very close to the limit. Tempted at the Yoko Parada S2's. Seem good value too but I really set out to get me some Proxes......... decisions, decisions!!

T1-Rs are on special at the moment with Camskill:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m61b0s134p1700

excellent for tyres used them loads.

its about £9 delievery on 4 tyres anywhere in the UK.