What's this for in the bottom of the airbox?

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
What's this for in the bottom of the airbox? This blank type of thing. Is it so Seat can use the same airbox in different models?
10042009319.jpg

The bit in the top left hand corner of the airbox.

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
get a panel filter, not a cone or induction kit they take in too much heat. use the sealed airbox with a good panel filter and remove the airfeed ducting already there and replace it with around a 90mm neoprene cold air feed to the front fog light grill area to ram that cold air in.

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
£36 from Badger5 on here [panel filter] :)

I smoothed bottom of my box and fitted 80mm induction hose.....I would have thought 90mm would be to big....

i think anything much over 80 is a battery relocate. I believe you can buy from VW the cold air feed for the R32 which is larger in diameter if you want to keep the 'oem' look

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
get a panel filter, not a cone or induction kit they take in too much heat. use the sealed airbox with a good panel filter and remove the airfeed ducting already there and replace it with around a 90mm neoprene cold air feed to the front fog light grill area to ram that cold air in.

Hmmm, speaking to the guys at Awesome the other day, I was asking about filters. I currently run a JR cone filter as part of the Jabbasport induction kit. They said, anything but a green filter. Apparently there have been a few stories of the green metal gauze rusting, wrecking MAFs and worse.

I'm running my filter un-oiled at the moment to preserve my new MAF. Pulling 190g/s on a tuned LC, it seems to be doing ok. If I was going down that route again, I'd probably go for a smoothed and drilled airbox and a panel filter of some description, probably a BMC one.

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
blimey... thats a spanner in the works. seems that everyone has a story against some filter but up unitl now, nobody has faulted green. worrying. BMC seem good value

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
i think anything much over 80 is a battery relocate. I believe you can buy from VW the cold air feed for the R32 which is larger in diameter if you want to keep the 'oem' look

Also hard to get anything over 80 in the box. My 80mm is right up against the bottom of the box and very close to the actual filter itself when in the box.....anything bigger would be silly in my opinion and would have to be squashed to an oval shape to fit in.

just reading a couple of these posts theres far too many conflicting opinions on here and not enough solid fact about induction kits and panel filters and which is better, ultimately i think (but what do i know) that if you have a good feed to an induction kit, especially with a heatshield that if you do get heat soak it would be that negligable you won't notice any any difference. Again though thats my opinion so guess im feeding the fire lol

On the other hand, yes 80mm is the biggest feed without battery relocation and without cramming the feed in so that it becomes restrictive and then pointless anyway.

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
just reading a couple of these posts theres far too many conflicting opinions on here and not enough solid fact about induction kits and panel filters and which is better, ultimately i think (but what do i know) that if you have a good feed to an induction kit, especially with a heatshield that if you do get heat soak it would be that negligable you won't notice any any difference. Again though thats my opinion so guess im feeding the fire lol

On the other hand, yes 80mm is the biggest feed without battery relocation and without cramming the feed in so that it becomes restrictive and then pointless anyway.

Air filter Heat soak has no effect on your performance. By the time that air has been forced through the turbo compressor, it'll be a whole lot hotter, trust me. 20 degrees of difference in actual air intake temperature before the turbo will make no difference whatsoever. Even though I have one myself, I'd go as far as to say that air filter heat shields are nothing more than engine bay bling, they fulfill no useful purpose apart from looking nice.

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
can fit 104mm on lc for a cold air feed without battery removal you dont get as much hot air in your cones as you'd think as your always moving

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.