Wheel Bolt Caps

Chris P

Feb 16, 2010
East Midlands
Had my Leon FR cleaned at the local petrol station last week. Everything was good except for the caps to the wheel bolts.
The effect of either the jet washer or whatever cleaning stuff they use has destroyed the silver colour and taken it mostly back to black plastic.
I'm guessing these are just painted in the first place, but has anybody else had this?
If so have you jusst re-sprayed them?
I suppose you can buy them from the stealers at some ridiculous price?
Seems a bit poor really that this should happen, or is this a warning sign not to use the local car cleaning boys with their cleaning products?

I think it's quite common when the wheel is metal and the covers are plastic to get a difference. Usually they are just sprayed the same way when really the materials should be prepared differently.

Not sure the price of the new ones from the deeler, as dave from sere motors (member on here) how much they are . After you've bought primer and matched the colour you might have been better off getting a new set... shouldn't really deteriorate from washing chemicals

Kev Hall2

Oct 7, 2009
Bristol
Seems a bit poor really that this should happen, or is this a warning sign not to use the local car cleaning boys with their cleaning products?[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find that some of the crews that clean cars use very strong stuff, hence why they get it so clean, so quick. Yes the cars clean but I'm guessing it will strip anything you might put on to protect the paint or provide a nice finish.

Chris P

Feb 16, 2010
East Midlands
Your probably right. I think I'll be giving them a miss from now on, you don't know what harm it's doing.
Only had the car done with the Auto Glym Life Shine stuff about a month before, hopefully thats provided some protection to the paintwork.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
never never never go to the hand car wash places that are now popping up on every corner!

They use real strong acid based cleaning product on the wheels that is on there for far too long.

It stripped the laquer off my arches on a previous car and cost me a fortune.

Just a bucket and a **** load of autoglym stuff for me!