where is the thermostat?

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
I have the famous 17704 - engine coolant error - check temp sensor/thermostat.

It used to be intermittent, now its permanent! I changed the temp sensor once already and still no good. So could it be the thermostat? What problems would I have if my thermsotat wasn't working properly?

Finally, as i'm gonna replace it anyway as its cheap, where is the thermostat located, how do I get to it? I have searched but never found it!

Cheers

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Someone must know - Where is the thermostat? Is it on the radiator somewhere, is it on the engine, is it by the expansion tank?

PLEASE some1 help - i've got a new one waiting to go on here!

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
just spoke to my other half cos had to change mine at easter.
it is located on the gearbox side of the engine (opposite side to cambelt), it is located in the rubber coolant hose apparently. has a clip on it, undo that and withdraw......held in like a plug.

make sure you drain system before pulling out or you will have a drain effect through it as the reservoir is higher than the hole you leave when you pull the sensor out.
hope this helps.

i assume the sender unit is the thermostat cos thats what makes the in car gauge work i think

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
bigjode wrote

I have the famous 17704 - engine coolant error - check temp sensor/thermostat.

It used to be intermittent, now its permanent! I changed the temp sensor once already and still no good. So could it be the thermostat? What problems would I have if my thermsotat wasn't working properly?

Slow warm-up if the thermostat was jammed open, overheating if it was jammed shut.

Finally, as i'm gonna replace it anyway as its cheap, where is the thermostat located, how do I get to it? I have searched but never found it!

The thermostat is located in the cylinder block, next to the water pump, held in by the metal sleeve that takes the hose from the bottom of the radiator.

I think this fault code would also be set if your water pump was giving up, for instance if it has plastic blades and they are starting to break up. Poor coolant circulation would be the symptom (any VAG-com experts please advise if I am talking rubbish :rolleyes: ). If the thermostat doesn't fix it, you may need to check the pump next :(

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Thanks for the replys!

The water pump was replaced very recently (around January), so I don't think its that.
The car doesn't overheat or anything, its just that damn error code!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
bigjode, did u sort this in the end? Was it the thermostat?

Looks like i've got similar problems now - water pumps been changed very recently too, so hoping thats not the issue. Recon its the thermostat - hoping you can confirm that.

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Never did resolve this, the fault code went away for the last 5 months and has only just reappeared. I returned the Thermostat in the end aswell. Just fitted a nother new Temp sensor but now the fault reappears even quicker (every 2 days!).

Gonna check coolant level I think.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise