Which? Magazine Article - Head-on Crash/Seat Belt Problems

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Just been reading this month's Which Magazine.

The article claims that there could be a problem that puts front-seat passengers at risk in a head-on crash. Apparently the design of the seats in some of the VW group cars 'means that it's possible for back-seat passengers to accidentally release the front-seat slider with their feet. If this happened during a frontal crash, the seatbelt wouldn't work properly because it's attached to the seat rather than the car body.'

Models listed with this problem are Passat, Leon, Altea, Octavia and Toledo. The design has since been modified on some models, including the new Leon.

VW said 'We firmly believe this issue poses no risk to any drivers of affected vehicles.'

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
I saw this article this morning as well but it sounds to me like the usual WHICH over reaction to a set of circumstances that are so improbable that it's really not worth worrying.

Being unlucky enough to have the crash as described and a passenger behind you whose plates just happen to hit the right spot to fold the seat has got to be similar odds to winning the Lotto.

Just don't let any clumsy whatsit sit behind you if you're bothered.

Hi Bunter :wave: see you at BTCC this year?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
sounds similar to a problem I just made up

If a passenger lent forward & openned the drivers door just as the car was about to roll, the driver could 'fall' out

cars that this could happen to include many models...

I think Tim nailled it - which talk sh*t a lot of the time, which helps sell products (their magazine) to people

djrichard

DJRICHARD
Mar 11, 2004
glasgow
m0rk said:
which talk sh*t a lot of the time, which helps sell products (their magazine) to people

Libellous statements!

m0rk said:
I would suggest making valid comments rather than making stuff up based on unsustainable hearsay (especially when i'm in an anti mood)

:whistle:

xJib

Problem solved.

Don’t let unlucky people in the back of your car by getting them to guess a number your thinking of between 1 and 10000. If they guess correct then they are lucky and can have a ride, if not, it’s a long walk for them.

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Timthebrief said:
I saw this article this morning as well but it sounds to me like the usual WHICH over reaction to a set of circumstances that are so improbable that it's really not worth worrying.

Being unlucky enough to have the crash as described and a passenger behind you whose plates just happen to hit the right spot to fold the seat has got to be similar odds to winning the Lotto.

Just don't let any clumsy whatsit sit behind you if you're bothered.

Hi Bunter :wave: see you at BTCC this year?
Hi Tim

I think you're right, but I guess that many accidents that happen are all down to a specific set of circumstances at the time. Fate?? Anyways, can't say I'm too bothered. Rarely have any rear passengers, except for the dog in the boot. Spose I should strap the dog in to stop her becoming a projectile should I have an accident....

Will probably be at the BTCC, depending on if I'm working locally at the time and so don't need to make the weekly trip away on a Sunday.

How's little........... (forgot his name)? Anyway - a really cute kid. That's a huuuge compliment from me. I hate kids generally.:sick:

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
Good point about the dog. I saw a worrying video clip about that .

Both the boys are fine and already planning which races we''ll be going to this year. They want me to take them both this time but that always has the potential to be WW3. They can be cute but they're still 'orrible little boys at heart.

Ps that must be why they get on so well with the SCN race fans ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.