Which oil for LCR225

druddle

I want that one........
Aug 7, 2003
Berkshire
I need to top my oil up. The car has 1700 miles on it, so anyone know what manufacturer/grade of oil i should use ?

Dave

Mark_2_go

Westmids2005
Feb 18, 2003
West Mids
Visit site
I used the same as what is in the car.

If I remember the dealers use helix semi synthetic.

Purchased one litre from dealer for approx £7 including a funnel and a plastic glove.....

Mark :cheers:

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Nope, dealers should use Quantum Synta Gold which is the VAG recommended oil according to my dealer.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I was under the impression new engines were bedded in with a mineral oil (don't know why or which viscosity). Following this VAG use Synta silver 10w-40 on 1.8T / 1.8i engines although some SEAT dealers seem to use Shell Helix oils.
Prefer Castrol Magnatec myself, but still undecided as to what to use when my 1st service is due. Looked at Mobil 1 and Castrol RS the other day but viscosities don't seem right for VAG lump. Going to get some net research before spending £31 on a gallon!
:cheers:

Stoner

May 5, 2003
Brum
Visit site
Ok - So on a thread titled 'Which Oil....' and so far we've mentioned 4 oils

Shell Helix semi
Synta Silver
Synta Gold (don't know the difference)
Magnatec

and only one confirmation of viscosity - 10/40

For what it's worth (nothing!) my dealer say's magnatec.

I guess there's actually two questions to answer

1. What oil to use to top up before the first oil change - I'm no mechanic, but reckon you should be using whatever oil went in at the factory. Despite searching for this I haven't found an answer for this. Does anyone know?

2. What oil to change to (if at all) on the first oil change. Different people have different views on here. Given that very few of us know each other it's difficult to tell who is right (although it's not really a case of being right or wrong - some oils are more right than others for 1.8T).

And I don't know the answer to either.

Dan

Turbowayne

The Great White !!!
Mar 3, 2004
South Wales
Visit site
This is a tricky one !

Surely a fully synthetic oil would be the best whatever the mileage etc ???

I have always used the Carlube Triple R fully synthetic 5W 40.

Flash has done 600 miles now & i was thinking of a 1000 mile oil change to my usual grade.

Any comments etc

:think:

Last edited:

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
[B)] all oils for lcr 210 or 225 must meet vag spec as follows........this applys to S3 also with the same engines...............

vw 503.00 = 0-30w this is new oil spec for petrol engines WITH variable service intervals,it inc as follows......all engines with outputs less than 180 bhp...
S4 (not RS 4)
TT
S3
LCR VAG approved vw503.00 oils as follows..........remember variable not us lcrs

castrol slx longlife II
total quartz 9000
mobil shc formula v
shell helix ultra x
fuchs titan supersyn sl pcx
valvoline syn power xl

vw 503.01 = 0-30w this is a new oil spec,specifically for the........WITH ouputs MORE than 180 bhp
RS4
TT
S3
LCR
passat W8
phaeton W12

VAG approved vw 503.01 oils as follows................................note the SAE specs!!!!

castrol formula slx(NOT LONGLIFE) THIS IS FOR VARIABLE SERVICE INTERVALS
mobil one (0-40w)
shell helix ultra 5-30w(this stuff was recommended to me by seat tech)
fuchs titan supersyn sl 0-30w
valvoline synpower mxl 0-30w

there are more just make sure it meets the spec 503.01 for the 210/225 lcrs tells you on the side if the bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope this clears this up @ the end of the day,cost plays apart too,the quantum oils obviously meet this spec too,
seat tech i spoke to likes the 5/30w the best as the thinner oils tend to be sucked down the bearings on the turbo,and remember all the above are quality oils anyhow,also you have to change them @ 10k anyhow so there will be no probs whatever you pick
millers also meet the above spec now too
you can use mobil 1 0-40w as posted but can be thicker in the winter,thats why vag prefer you to stick to 0-30w/5-30w

hope this helps and as not further confused you

vern :thumbup:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Turbowayne said:
This is a tricky one !

Surely a fully synthetic oil would be the best whatever the mileage etc ???

I have always used the Carlube Triple R fully synthetic 10W 40.

Flash has done 600 miles now & i was thinking of a 1000 mile oil change to my usual grade.

Any comments etc

:think:

May be an old skool view but I thought you had to leave original oil in the block for up to 10k as the original is a bedding oil for the engine. After this change it every week if you like. VW enthusiasts recommend changes every 3k if your obsessive, 6k if you are looking to extend life and general performance and 10k if you want to fit in with warranty requirements. Most oils will show the start of degradation / break down after 3k miles in an engine, depending on your driving style and conditions (ambient temps / type of journeys). By 10k in LCR's oil will be skanked. Castrol, Mobil or Shell should have some useful consumer info: I have just been to their sites and found little of any use!!
Have posted a question on Mobil1 site so I'll feed back if I get an answer.

Turbowayne

The Great White !!!
Mar 3, 2004
South Wales
Visit site
coxw said:
May be an old skool view but I thought you had to leave original oil in the block for up to 10k as the original is a bedding oil for the engine. After this change it every week if you like. VW enthusiasts recommend changes every 3k if your obsessive, 6k if you are looking to extend life and general performance and 10k if you want to fit in with warranty requirements. Most oils will show the start of degradation / break down after 3k miles in an engine, depending on your driving style and conditions (ambient temps / type of journeys). By 10k in LCR's oil will be skanked. Castrol, Mobil or Shell should have some useful consumer info: I have just been to their sites and found little of any use!!
Have posted a question on Mobil1 site so I'll feed back if I get an answer.

Is this true ?

Does the original oil need to stay in for 10k & if so why ?

Would it not benefit from a change at 1000 miles in case of any metal fragments etc from the running in type period ?

:confused:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Maybe things have changed now that engines come 'pre run in'.

Originally a mineral based oil would be used to bed engines in for about 10k. Helps metal parts to wear together better.

See attached search (not from this site):

Mineral oil info

Manufacturing industry always use mineral oils to bed in machinery (father in law used to work at Lucas heavy engineering division).

Other than that I know sweet FA on oil, unlike Vern! Cheers Vern, Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol Magnatec 0w-30 then at 10k me thinks!

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
coxw said:
Maybe things have changed now that engines come 'pre run in'.

Originally a mineral based oil would be used to bed engines in for about 10k. Helps metal parts to wear together better.

See attached search (not from this site):

Mineral oil info

Manufacturing industry always use mineral oils to bed in machinery (father in law used to work at Lucas heavy engineering division).

Other than that I know sweet FA on oil, unlike Vern! Cheers Vern, Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol Magnatec 0w-30 then at 10k me thinks!
Warren

you are indeed spot on,run the engine until 10k,without changing it,just top it up as needed,use 0-30w/5-30w,thats meets vag 503.01 if you need to top up...

lcr's are filled with semi synthectic in the sump from factory.

then change the oil after the first 10k one,@ 5k intervals with above spec,

warren mobil/castrol/millers infact any that meets the spec will be fine,and @ 5k you will be looking after ya motor like it was a god :roflmao: then of course,you will get ya stamped 20k service @ the dealer,(i will supply my own oil)that i also use @ the inbetween 5k intervals,prob use millers/castrol(slx is used by bmw dealers)and is expensive, :blink:

word of warning the sump plug requires a square headed socket,to undo it,make sure you have one before you drop the oil,cannot remember the size though,take a look first :thumbd: prob to stop us diyers lol

regards

vern

Golf-GTI-MK1

VW Caddy 104TDI
Hello Chaps,

I spoke to Vince at Stealth Racing and he said the silver VW Synta is more than adequate for the 1.8T engine and only costs about £12 from a VAG main dealer. My mate changed my oil and filter yesterday using the synta silver as he works in a main dealer and i can get it done for next to nothing. I have only done 2600 miles but now consider it run in by my standards and didnt want to wait until 10,000 miles. I will be changing it every 5k in future.

vern said:
Warren

you are indeed spot on,run the engine until 10k,without changing it,just top it up as needed,use 0-30w/5-30w,thats meets vag 503.01 if you need to top up...

lcr's are filled with semi synthectic in the sump from factory.

then change the oil after the first 10k one,@ 5k intervals with above spec,

warren mobil/castrol/millers infact any that meets the spec will be fine,and @ 5k you will be looking after ya motor like it was a god :roflmao: then of course,you will get ya stamped 20k service @ the dealer,(i will supply my own oil)that i also use @ the inbetween 5k intervals,prob use millers/castrol(slx is used by bmw dealers)and is expensive, :blink:

word of warning the sump plug requires a square headed socket,to undo it,make sure you have one before you drop the oil,cannot remember the size though,take a look first :thumbd: prob to stop us diyers lol

regards

vern

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
silver is semi syn mate,gold is fully syn

you will have no probs with this stuff it comes outa the factory with this stuff in the sump mate,the 10k is a only a guide depends on useage short journeys etc,but the seat tech recommends this as the engines is in deed very tight,that why you never should never add slick 5o to a new engine it wont run in properly,it's down to everyones choice,as said all oils these days are good and @ 5k a change you will have no probs whatever you run ;)

But i would run this on a chipped motor,spoked to millers on this very issue mate,the techies say due to even more extreme forces,only use fully syn,any of the 503.01 will do

vern

Stoner

May 5, 2003
Brum
Visit site
Vern

Apologies for going over covered ground. I've done 7k and it needs topping up. My reading of the posts are that I should top it up with one of the VAG approved vw 503.01 oils (I was going to go with Shell Helix Ultra 5-30w) and wait until 10k for an oil change (although it wouldn't be too much of an issue if I changed oil now.

2 Q's

1. Is my understanding correct?

2. Is the Shell oil semi-synthetic or fully synthetic?

Cheers :cheers:

Dan

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Stoner said:
Vern

Apologies for going over covered ground. I've done 7k and it needs topping up. My reading of the posts are that I should top it up with one of the VAG approved vw 503.01 oils (I was going to go with Shell Helix Ultra 5-30w) and wait until 10k for an oil change (although it wouldn't be too much of an issue if I changed oil now.

2 Q's

1. Is my understanding correct?

2. Is the Shell oil semi-synthetic or fully synthetic?

Cheers :cheers:

Dan

good choice on the oil mate,it is indeed fully syn and vag 503.01

by a litre mate,and top it up,the big bottle is 4.5 litres,and guess what that the sump capacity if iirc 4.5 litres,wait until 10 k for the main change and get it done @ the dealers for ya seat service history :thumbup:
btw it's the oil my dealer uses,and the tech rates it in the lcr many other dealers use it too,plus it will go with ya optimax :roflmao: :hide:

vern

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members