Whiteline Anti-lift kit fitted

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
But what settings would it be? does it have to be adjusted to suit the WALK because i had the wheel alignment done about 2 months ago

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Had the WALK fitted yesterday, I was surprised with the improvements. The turn in rate is sharper and more pointy with much less understeer. The car doesn't wash out so much and feels more controlled under acceleration even calmed some of the tram-lining effect that the 19" wheels I run can invoke.

Refitting my stock 18" wheels for next weekends track day, so I will see how it feels. Its running on KW Variant 1 coil-overs and stock ARB's at the moment. I'm eyeing up a Whiteline adjustable rear ARB for later in the year.

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Lately my car has felt more understeery (is that a word?) don't know why though! soon as i had the WALK fitted it felt less understeery and had more grip under acceleration but now it understeers,

zboyd did you have you alignment checked? Maybe thats what causing the bad steering feel, I'm looking to get the autotech rear ARB 3 way adjustable and lightweight,

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Zboyd did you have your alignment checked after fitting the WALK, need to know if I should get mine done

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Nope, Awesome said it wasn't required. Feels fine so far, only been on a few days though. I did about 100 miles in it over the weekend and had no complaints.

I'm currently running it with my 19" BBS, but my OEM 18" alloys are going back on this week ready for Saturday's track day.

I'm considering getting a Whiteline rear ARB, but it will have to wait until April/May

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The front end is pretty tight anyway, especially if you have fitted coilovers.

A stiff rear arb tends to improve rear end grip while improving the understeer at the front end.

I had an EIbach rear arb on my Cupra R and found the handling to be superb, I then fitted a front Eibach arb and found the handling to be less dynamic with the front bar.

This time I will stick to a rear ARB only, most others I've spoken to seem to agree that an adjustable rear arb is the way to go and leave the front alone. The WALKit does a great job of improving front end grip and lessening the understeer of a heavy front wheel drive car. Adding the front arb may dilute this effect.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
This time I will stick to a rear ARB only, most others I've spoken to seem to agree that an adjustable rear arb is the way to go and leave the front alone. The WALKit does a great job of improving front end grip and lessening the understeer of a heavy front wheel drive car. Adding the front arb may dilute this effect.

x2. I am going to fit my WALK soon, and probably go with the rear Whiteline ARB too. You can always add a front ARB if needed.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
thast the more expensive way to do it though. by looking into fitting the front ARB at a different time to the walk you will end up paying twice for alignment etc and a some of labour that wouldnt have needed to be done twice had the walk and front ARB been fitted at the same time.

the rear ARB is an absolute doddle to fit yorself. the front bar is a pain in the ass due to the subframe needing to be lowered.

thinking about it i reckon you wil proably save £50 to £75 labour if not more by fitting the front ARB at the same time. so in a way its a half price bar.

fwiw i paid twice, and wish i never

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Thats' true, but having found it made a negative effect on my Cupra R, I think I will resist changing the front ARB. I think I prefer a stiffer rear end :cartman:

if the bars are poorly matched you will get a negative effect.

increasing the front bar on FWD will encourage understeer, increasing the rear bar will reduce understeer and push towards an oversteering car as the balance will have changedon the car.

by doing both bars incrementally you can decrease overall roll within the car, maintain optimum wheel geometry better than just a single rear ARB would, reduce understeer, yet prevent it from being an oversteering monster as the balance wil not have been altered as much.

before i moved back to uk from germnay i was living 90 km from the nurburgring. i trialed my eibachs in various settings from both bars on stiff both on soft, front soft rear stiff etc, and the difference between the different settings is quite noticable.

consequently i am now set to soft front and stiff rear, and it is drasticaly better than stock. Id actually rate them as the best mod i have done on my car handling wise.

I fitted the WALK after and the difference wasnt nearly as big as i had hoped it was going to be. still a good mod though.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Fair post, but we must bear in mind you have an Octavia and not a Leon mate.

Hopefully Dan will be able to post about this by Friday as his suspension is going to be set up properly on Thursday.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Fair post, but we must bear in mind you have an Octavia and not a Leon mate.

Hopefully Dan will be able to post about this by Friday as his suspension is going to be set up properly on Thursday.

same chassis same underpinnings. every ARB kit will be tailor made for the MkV Golf anyway.

if anything my car with the heavier rear end will benefit more from a larger rear anti roll bar than your car will.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yeah, I am aware the car shares so many parts, but as you say the weight distribution is different. There is divided opinion on this over on the MK5 Golf forum too for what its worth.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
the large majority was saying the same as i have said, there was jut one guy on there who insistant that putting a huge 28mm front arb on was good for handling. however he was running extra front camber which would have canceled out the understeer it would have caused.

the weight distribution will be better on mine if you think about it. the leon and golf weight bias should be further forward than the vRS as i have a bigger boot, hence more weight on the back end. My coilovers were cornerweighted as well so it drives like a treat. saying that ive driven TFSI_mikes stage 2+ cupra with his front/rear ARBs, and Kw V3 coilovers. No difference if you ask me between them apart from my steering was heavier porably due to me having the walk and his walk being sat in the boot not fitted yet.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Zboyd did you have your alignment checked after fitting the WALK, need to know if I should get mine done

Might be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done anyway. I had WALK fitted it also felt fine. Decided to get the alignment done when i changed all 4 tyres last month and it was a couple of degrees out here and there.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Might be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done anyway. I had WALK fitted it also felt fine. Decided to get the alignment done when i changed all 4 tyres last month and it was a couple of degrees out here and there.

100%, definately worthwhile rather than splashing out on new tyres that are unevely worn

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Thing is I had the alignment checked a few months ago and all was ok, just wondered is it worth getting it checked again, and also to what specs should the alignment be set to, as I know the walk creates more of a camber, so don't want to have the alignment done and cancal out the purpose of the walk. If that makes any sense at all lol.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise