Why am i getting condensation on the inside of my windscreen?

Just looked filter fine, few leaves in my face. Carpets are dry. Think it may have just been where snow fell in the car and made the carpets wet at the time then it warmed up for 2 days then it got icy and then the inside froze. If it comes back next week I will be annoyed as no one seems to have any ideas what else it could be as never had this before and people at work with older cars and craper build (Rover and Pug and Citrons) have not had this happen to them.

i get this somtimes where i get out of the shower and shortly after get in the car where im still well hot and my hairs slightly damp it condensates my windows in the car maybe that could be an answer with the cold air and your body temprature being high.
lol thats not ment to sound weird.:redface:

dErZ

Jan 29, 2008
Surrey
I removed leaves from under the wipers and also checked the pollen filter (not wet) so must of just been the snow...

Steggz

Heaters on full and open the windows slightly to let the water out on a longer trip. Once moisture gets in (like when it snows and you tread it in) all you do is heat it up in the air, then it condenses when your car cools.

I do that most weeks to stop things misting up as much in winter.

andycupra

status subject to change
having the heater on, then parking up can lead to condensation:
(warm air can hold more moisture, then as the air cools it cant hold this moiture level and it condenses on the cold glass).
If you have never had condensation on other cars then you have been lucky, although i do agrees that seats often appear to suffer from this.
However we also know (particularly on leons) that this is often really bad condensation due to there being moisture in the car such as a wet item or wet carpets due to door leaks.

As steggz has said, try getting some air-changes done, or in other words open your windows toward the end of a journey. However if there is a leak then this may not help. (building regs for example set out that you have to have an air extractor in bathrooms for this exact reason. And prior to this bathrooms had to have windows that could open and provide xx amount of airchanges per hour. - all to try and avoid consendation).

Last edited:

toledotulling

Me too get condensation and ice droplets inside. I do live in Norway so it get pretty cold here from time to time.
I did not have this on my crappy old 95 Vento, even though it hadn't any sealing layer in the front doors and had been without front side windows for quite a few weeks. It was just heated up and ran for a while on full heat. all moisture was out and car dry.

My new car is a 1998 Toledo. It fogs up when I ride it so I think there is some weakness in the ventilation system. I just washed it with a high pressure pistol thing and it literally splashed in through the top seal on the right side (passenger side) door. Later we figured that the specific top seal was a bit to "thin" and didn't seal well. (the Vento had much rougher seal material that could withstand way more pressure, but I hope it is fixable on this one.)

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Carpets are dry.

Did you lift the carpets to check if they are dry underneath?

They use a rubber backed underlay in the front which can hold a stupidly large amount of water before there is any sign of it on the top carpet.

I've seen leaks from:
The pollen filter
Misplaced gromet in the floor pan
Metal door skin incorrectly sealed.
The door seal.

The last was by far the worst, there was some kind of capillary action going on and sitting in the car with the carpets up you could see it sucking water through from the outside at around half a litre a minute :-o

If you are getting ice on the inside id say its just worth lifting the carpet up and checking underneath :)

toledotulling

I've now discovered my door leak coming from the outer plastic rail that leads from the bottom of front windows and over across the roof -along the top of doors- is actually ill fitted. It is merely a few millimeter outta wack, but as the bulge is located right above the side mirrors the gapping increases along the length of the door so the top cannot shut tightly into the rubber seal.

The garage that changed this front window in december claimed on phone that it couldn't have been caused by them, but as the car was ok prior to it I guess the need to reconsider it a little.

I'll get them to look at it this week, but I recently also discovered the upper seal of rear window being loos... (Am I better off just gluing it into the slit or leave it loose?)

OBS! Wish it was a forum for car glass btw!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise