why does installing HID change your headlight allignment?

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
May sound like a silly question...but everyone allways says to get your headlights alligned after installing HIDs, but from the guides etc I have read and 100's of threads I have searched I cant see why?

Surely it's just the same as changing a regular bulb? because even when installing the ballast you aren't taking the headlight units out or anything.

Am I missing something? I hope not as my HID kit has been delivered this morning and going to fit them after work tonight!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
must say id agree, ive got HIDs and didnt check mine. got MOT due JAN. I know a few people have been through with them in no bother

the bulb sits flat in like the old one used to and the light pattern is depending on the reflection from the unit itself not the outside lens....

Cupraloon

I'd agree with you, not fitted mine yet, but i cannot see why the alignment should alter, just by fitting and HID bulb unit..

Perhaps someone will be alone to explain this shortly.....

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
thanks for the replies guys....I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this.

I think my plan of action will be to fit them and then have a look to see....as long as I'm not dazzling on coming traffic then there shouldn't be a problem. (and I'm thinking it wont change anyways!)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
The whole point is that it's to check that your headlights ARE aligned properly - for example if it's a new car it won't have had an MOT and won't require one for three years. You assume the lights arrive aligned correctly :doh: If for some reason you've not fitted the bulbs correctly it will show up. Lastly and most importantly, when you're driving with something that's 50% brighter than what you had before and is installed as a safety addition (not as a fashion item) why not spend a couple of quid making sure it's correctly aligned so that you don't dazzle others and so that you get maximum use out of it.

Cupra2505

Mine's set at zero with nothing in the boot .

If the boots full, and the missus is in the back, then I usually move it around to 2.

(Never had need to turn it up to 11 yet!) :D

HID's are on order and I will be getting my alignment checked. Lights were out on last MOT, so just to be on the safe side.

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Mine have arrived today so i'll be fitting them tomor.

With regards to adjusting your aim you prob wont need to. The reason why they suggest you do is because the light emmited from the HIDS if much more promenant (obviously!) so they could be a little high. Its not a major prob and should not cost you anything. Just pop down to your local MOT station and ask if they could check the allignment for you.

Just make sure they allign the beam setter up correctly to your car. What your looking for is that the KICK UP or BREAK POINT is in between the 0% and 2% VERTICAL DOTTED LINES. Also the height of the light emmited is in between the 2 RED HORIZONTAL LINES. If the beam pic is in these tolerences then there is no prob.

Hope this helps:)

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Fitted them tonight..bit difficult in the rain and darkness lol. compared the beam to that previously on my garage door and looks pretty much the same. Been for a little drive and no flashing or complaints so far!

I can see where people are coming from when they say they are brighter so any miss-alingment will have a greater impact, however my question should be rephrased to.....

"if your headlights are allready aligned and in good working order....will fitting HID bulbs then cause them to need realigning?"

the answer I have decided (and it also mentions in the instructions) is no. Unless you have taken out the internals of the headlight etc, which is not neccessary to do.

PS HID's are awesome and by far the best MOD I have ever done....and well worth it and the wait for them to be delivered from China! lol

Jan 19, 2006
fife, scotland
i fitted mine and was going to go for alignment but they didn't look high or dazzle anyone so i put them on 1 and no-one has flashed me at all, they've been in two weeks or so.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Yep not a single flash for me in about 3 weeks of driving with them. I've had plenty of people move the f**k out of the way for me though, could have been down to my rate of approach:lol:

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
I fitted my HID's the other week and got the allignment checked, everything was fine! And never been flashed.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Just proves that they are aligned, doesn't mean that they don't need checking to confirm it.
As 'Fester points out, most new cars have missed this part of a PDI so it's not uncommon to find headlights poorly aligned. Mine were and my car went back to get this sorted within the first week of ownership. If i'd had HID's in, then some poor folks would be going around with badly damaged retinas.
At the end of the day (it goes dark ;) ) it's peice of mind knowing that you have given the police one less reason to pull you over by drawing attention to yourself.

Hudds

Feb 12, 2007
Huddersfield
Expecting mine in the post any day now, going to try and fit them at work, while its light! What tools will I need to bring with me, to fit them?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise