window regulator problem

StuLCR52

MK1 LCR project….
Sep 11, 2005
Hampshire (formally Lisburn NI)
ive searched the threads n found no other posts that related to my problem,
the cable that winds the electric window on the passenger front door system, has completed destroyed itself and the spool clutch which attachs to the actually motor?!?!

has ne one else had this problem?, is this a replacement option of just the cable system n rods? as it will be a pain in the arse to replace the full alloy plate on the door! as to replace the plate surely i have to strip the lock n handle from the door as everything is interlinked!

stu

StuLCR52

MK1 LCR project….
Sep 11, 2005
cheers r6 allan, but just found out stealer is only £42! which is cheaper than flea bay for a change, need the full cable system, basically everything behind the alloy plate in the door.

stu

Bizz

Feeling the extra power
Apr 4, 2006
Darlington/Norwich
cheers r6 allan, but just found out stealer is only £42! which is cheaper than flea bay for a change, need the full cable system, basically everything behind the alloy plate in the door.

stu

Yeah I had this happen to mine a couple of months ago. A really easy fix took me about 20mins take out the back plate and replace the runners!!!

Window Regulator guide Just in case!!

Bizz

Feeling the extra power
Apr 4, 2006
Darlington/Norwich
ok can we not get a repair kit like the vw boys?? or does the repair kit from vw fit the leon?? help

I dont know about the repair kit :confused: I just got the new regulator and runners from the stealers it was so quick and easy to fix then. As long as you get the mk4 vw stuff it should be fine. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. :)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
guys - same problem here now - a noisy grinding/cracking/popping type noise and now the window doesn't move. I've managed to close the window manually though.

Looks like a nightmare of a job, from the guide on vwvortex. :(

What's the point in the unit that's rivited to a new backplate - compared to just the regulator kit? Purely the fact it's riveted to it?

Thanks

StuLCR52

MK1 LCR project….
Sep 11, 2005
pabs i thought a man of ur knowledge wud be on the ball here, ok the only difference is wat u have state on kit is rivited to the new plate n the other u got to rivite to ur old plate it is quite a simple job but u will have to strip the door down to get the plate out no matter wat kit u get so there aint much of an advantage in ordering the one with the plate.

stu, u fancy driving up to aldershot i'll do the job?

small fee of course lol

StuLCR52

MK1 LCR project….
Sep 11, 2005
I dont know about the repair kit :confused: I just got the new regulator and runners from the stealers it was so quick and easy to fix then. As long as you get the mk4 vw stuff it should be fine. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. :)

nope unfortunately the leon/toledo kit is different to the mk4 stuff, the bit u want from seat is the pulley system with spool minus the alloy plate,
think it was £30 mind u i get discount. ill post the part no up later

stu

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
m'eh - a man of my knowledge? lol - just cos my postcount is high doesn't mean i know sh*t! :D

I only know things about items I modify or repair. Fortunately I've never had a window problem until now, so it's time for me to learn!

Buzz84

Got this very same problem at the moment, car door is in bits while i had a look to see what was up.
Seen alot of people talking about riveting on the new assembly, is there a reason why the new cables and clips from the new mechanism havent been fitted onto the existing runners that are on the door, would save alot of effort drilling out and replacing rivets?

StuLCR52

MK1 LCR project….
Sep 11, 2005
cause its a fiddle job to do n just as easy to replace full runners. how long does it take drillin four rivets 10 secs a rivet n 10 secs to put back in, ive had to replace cables onto a mechanism before aint a fun job gettin them tighten up takes a while to be honest

stu

Buzz84

well from what I can make of it there doesnt seem to be much to transplanting the new cables and clips onto the existing runners in the door. The pulleys even have cut outs to air in the threading of the cables.
new runners or old ones everything needs tightening and tensioning.

poping down the garage to get the parts tomorrow so will be fitting them tomorrow evening hopefully (weather permitting)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well it doesn't rain, but it pours :(

Had the new regulator fitted today, but got bad news in the process. Would appear that the window MOTOR is gone as well (gearing all chewed up and knackered) so I need a new one of them as well. Not a stock-part, only available from SEAT, and a whopping cost of £145 ish!!!!

Expensive window repair - especially seeing as we just put down the house deposit money today - meaning I am TOTALLY skint :(

Going back to get new motor fitted next week when it's in.

I can only assume that the teeth/gearing on the motor got damaged during the strange noises I heard, and when my mate tried to use the window afterwards (but i forgot to tell him it was duff, so my fault)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.