Windscreen Wipers are turning on automatically !

ibiza owner

IBIZA Mk3 1.0Ltr MPi
Hi folks, just lately I am having crazy weird things going on with the electrics on my Mk3 Ibiza year 2000.

The latest thing to happen is that I would be driving along and all of a sudden the front and rear wipers come on and stay on!!!! the only way to try and stop them is to push the stalk/switch down (as if tempory front windscreen wipe) and then put the stalk back to its off position.

As you can guess I am getting crazy looks from people on the streets when my windscreen wipers are going when there is no rain and the screens are totally dry!

I admit the first place to look would be to replace the winscreen wiper stalk/switch but I am not so sure that is the problem because just the other day I put on the fan for the interior heating and it set off the windscreen wipers!

I am figuring it could be some earth problem or relay - what do you reckon?

Any ideas where to check please?

As per normal I am broke and dont fancy leaving it into a garage and want to try and find out the problem myself.

Cheers,

Andy.
www.ibizanet.utvinternet.com

NinjaFlavour

hey, did you ever find a solution to this? I too am having weird intermittent activations of wipers. When i use the indicators, start the engine, open the door whilst the engines running and also just randomly when im driving along.

seanybrowne

If either of you found a solution to this I would appreciate any advice because my 2000 Mk3 1.4 is doing the same. The fog light light on my dashboard is flickering constantly and whenever I indicate, wind down my windows or even just randomly my wipers turn on and canot be stopped until I turn off the ignition.

NinjaFlavour

If either of you found a solution to this I would appreciate any advice because my 2000 Mk3 1.4 is doing the same. The fog light light on my dashboard is flickering constantly and whenever I indicate, wind down my windows or even just randomly my wipers turn on and canot be stopped until I turn off the ignition.

Hi mate,

I solved mine here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203509

Not sure if it will be the same on Mk3 Golf but you can have a look. It was basically a loose earth connection causing the problems for me.

Good luck with solving yours.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise