Winter wheels/tyres ?

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
Hi all

I have a mk2 cupra.

Last winter i had a little slip into a kurb due to the ice/snow on the roads, buckled my wheel and steering knackered, still abit "funny" steering wise now but its ok.

Question - Who changes to a winter setup? is it worth it? what would you recommend if so? wheels? tyres? sledge?

Im up for anything that helps to stop me flying across the road into a high kurb like last year.. :(

Cheers!

I had a similarly scary time last winter (in my Golf) so started thinking about winter tyres (and wheels).

See this thread and this thread.

Essentially, I'm now waiting for delivery of four Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s (205/55 R16) on steel wheels, to replace my OEM Pirelli Pzero Rosso (225/45 R17) alloys for the winter months.

Changing tyres several times on the same set of wheels is apparently bad for the tyres and also usually involves lots of fitting/balancing charges and faff... so the consensus seems to be that you should get another set of wheels if you're considering winter tyres.

Last edited:
Dunno about the Cupra but I was told 16" wheels fit OK on the FR. I used the wheel+tyre package finder thingey on mytyres.co.uk and it came up with the wheels that I ordered for my model. I know that others have picked up a spare set of alloys instead. Quite a few of the winter tyre advice pages say that it's best to down-size the tyre width (thus usually rim size too) so as to maximise the advantage of winter tyres on snowy/icy surfaces. However you can get proper winter tyres in most sizes - even low profile and wide fittings.

I think the only advantage to steel wheels is the price and the fact that you won't mind them getting bashed about a bit if you need to use snow chains or whatever. I wasn't too bothered about losing the aesthetics of alloys for the winter as my car will mostly be parked up during daylight hours anyway.

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
Why not just pick a good all round tyre? or maybe adjust your driving style in winter months?

Thats a tricky comment..

When i skidded across the road and nearly landed face first in a tree, i was driving literally 5mph (not exageratting) i turned my wheel to go round a corner and the car didnt turn.. i hit the kurb with turned wheels which sent me to the other side of the road, hit more ice then went flying back.

Iv been on and passed an advanced driving course and i know how to skid a car and deal with the skid. I could not do anything last winter when it happened.

But yeh, lets just adjust my driving style, thatll fix it for sure. :p

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
So yeah, i just thought id ask, been fairly new to owner a decently powered medium sized vehicle, if putting winter tyres on would be good or not.

And surley a fully focused winter tyre, would be much better than a half and half all round tyre?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Thats a tricky comment..

When i skidded across the road and nearly landed face first in a tree, i was driving literally 5mph (not exageratting) i turned my wheel to go round a corner and the car didnt turn.. i hit the kurb with turned wheels which sent me to the other side of the road, hit more ice then went flying back.

Iv been on and passed an advanced driving course and i know how to skid a car and deal with the skid. I could not do anything last winter when it happened.

But yeh, lets just adjust my driving style, thatll fix it for sure. :p

lol dont do things by half do you? :p
i have vredestein ultrac sessanta tyres all round , Vredestein are known for making snow tyres and these are their sports model which is a great all rounder but focuses on wet weather and winter conditions , a few people have them on here and rate them very highly , do a search on the net for a tyre review mate.
oh and i got them for £85 each :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.