Wireless Android Auto for Android 11 phones...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Just seen this on the Google support page for Android Auto and what phones allow to connect wirelessly (currently only Google or some Samsung phones I think)...

Could be handy for those who don't want to use a cable all the time or have the wireless charger...

Greenshot 2020-08-20 10.31.02.png

Reactions: Walone

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That would be great if a Mk3 Leon could be enabled to do it.
It looks like if your android device can be updated to Android 11 and has 5ghz WiFi (most newer phones have this as standard) then it should be able to do this on any android auto enabled car.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Does the Mk3 have any WiFi as standard, let alone 5Ghz? I thought it had Bluetooth only, hence why auto only works with a lead.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Does the Mk3 have any WiFi as standard, let alone 5Ghz? I thought it had Bluetooth only, hence why auto only works with a lead.
That's a good question didn't think about the car side haha, if not that would mean not many cars if any would be able to do AA wireless which doesn't seem like a good selling point lol does wifi hotspot use 2.4ghz these days? I may of been a little premature with my excitement haha

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
It looks like if your android device can be updated to Android 11 and has 5ghz WiFi (most newer phones have this as standard) then it should be able to do this on any android auto enabled car.
Reading the article you linked, it says it would work with Android 10 as well.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
My MIB2 High has WiFi but not sure if it's 5Ghz, I also think face lift MIB2 std may have WiFi.
Thinking about it I doubt it's 5ghz, I may of gone overboard on excitement at the beginning haha I assume this is aimed at the new gen cars

Reactions: RavH

RavH

Jul 23, 2020
Thinking about it I doubt it's 5ghz, I may of gone overboard on excitement at the beginning haha I assume this is aimed at the new gen cars

Yeah i know my facelift has wifi but no idea if its 5ghz though, my phone is but not sure if wifi in car itself is. Will be something to test out once i get a new phone later this year that supports android 11.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
The Wifi on the leon is the most pointless thing ever anyway. Its just a repeater for another Wifi device. As far as I can tell it doesn't 'connect' to the rest of the entertainment system at all.
Even if it was 5GHz there is currently no reason to believe the system could use it to connect to Android Auto, or be updated to be able to.

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
It's not that big a deal to plug into USB surely and more stable I would have thought.

beasty54

Jul 23, 2020
Yeah this isn't going to work, as far as i'm aware there are no cars that support AA wireless until later this year or early next year. There are of course after market head units that currently support it but very few.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Yeah it doesn't work on the MIB2
It is however the only way i can access my music on my phone through the media menu though.

Fergoo

Jun 8, 2020
Check out this Kickstarter project for a potential option in early 2021.

Should wireless enable any car with wired Android Auto support and a compatible handset.