Xmas - Alpine CDA9847R + KCA-420i

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
jim4983 said:
just been curious but what is POI???
POI = Points Of Interest

These can be pretty much anything you like really, but in this case are speed camera locations.

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
jim4983 said:
aphix got any pics of your avic. Im 200 quid away from getting one. Are you impressed would you recommend it??

jim

Hey Fella,

Sorry ive only just checked this thread...

all in all yes i am very impressed.... i got it a few days after the X1R came out in the UK, so have had it a while and had it in my Mini Before. If you havent got it yet ill try and outline my experiences.. without hi-jacking the thread. (ill post some pictures this evening)

Fitting

An absolute nightmare in the LCR, the X1R comes with a seperate "brain box" this has to be mounted in a well ventilated position, it has to be 100% flat, vibration free, position - you have to run 2 cables from the brain box to the head unit, which are just about the right length to go the boot.

I have mine duct-taped to the carpet behind the rear seats with the 2 cables runniung along the centre console over the carpet and under the rear seats- not ideal i know. I couldnt find anywhere in the front, and thought it would get kicked under the front seats. I will make something more permanent soon in the boot as im scared its going to get knocked.

If the brain box isnt 100% flat, you get strange positioning errors.

Living with it

I am very impressed by it. Its such a fantasicly well laid out system, touch screen with big buttons. The drivers eye view is really good and makes driving a bit safer as you can see whats ahead to a degree..

The Mapping system pioneer uses seems quite up to date. I havent had an instance where its been incorrect.

The all-in-one navigation and audio thing seems good at first, however it can be a bit frustrating. When calculating a route you need to have the Map DVD in, wait for it to memorise the route and allterntives that you may take. Then you can take the disc out and put a music cd in.

This however has one majory problem - the DVD navigation disc does get scratched,. its dual-layer to get about 8GB of map data on, so more sensitive than a conventional cd or dvd. When the system tries to calculate a route but cant read a part from the disc... and says "route calculation not possible" this is irritating.. especially when Pioneer want £250+ for a new disc and will not replace it if its scratched. I paid £20 to get a copy off ebay, but it got scratched again, becuase you find yourself tucking it in the passanger seat when your on a journey, just in case you need it.

If you get the AVIC-X1R, please please make a backup copy of the map data before you use it, and leave the original in the glove box for emergencies, and just use the copy. Ill do you a copy if you want or dont have a dual-layer dvd writer.

All in all, you will love it. It is a fantasic system. And is probably better than any factory fitted sat nav system ive used in BMW's, Jaguars, Mercs, Lexuses etc.

Ill post some pics later, any more info you need please shout..

Rob

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Thats a problem with the Leon ... in the Leon the dash lights are on all the time...

which has caught me out many a time.. not turning my headlights on after coming out a multi-storey car park and getting pulled over my a friendly copper.. who said "thats what you get for having a flash car" in other cars when you turn the lights on, it sets the X1R to night time mode.. just not on the Leon

The day time setting on the display is too harsh at night time, so ive set my X1R to think its permantly nighttime....

think thats quite sweeet how the sky changes on the drivers view depending if its night or day.

Rob

jim4983

Aug 29, 2005
Kent
Thanks very much for alll the info guys!!! Cant wait to get it. Any of u guys got any toys hooked up to it eg play station, x box tv freeview box???

jim

warren_cox

Back from the dead
AVIC head unit on special offer in sales

The Avic is on sale at the moment - very reasonable. At least with this unit you don't have to bolt on another unit like you do with my Alpine to get sat nav (another £800 :cry: ). Alpine feck you over on the bolt ons after you have the H/U. Why the DVD head unit cant read the disc is beyond me. You have to have a seperate disc player in the car + another controller box for the GPS :censored:

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
I sometimes wish that i had a seperate navigation thing..

the other thing that annoys me with the navigation is that you loose the cup holder, and my rear window heater is left on constantly.

Has anyone else with the X1R managed to fit the surround that makes the front of the HU look tidier.. i left mine off cos i couldnt get it to fit.

Rob

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
aphix said:
I sometimes wish that i had a seperate navigation thing..

the other thing that annoys me with the navigation is that you loose the cup holder, and my rear window heater is left on constantly.

Has anyone else with the X1R managed to fit the surround that makes the front of the HU look tidier.. i left mine off cos i couldnt get it to fit.

Rob

yes fitted on easier than i thought

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Pics of X1R

x1r.jpg

Sorry for the dealy, and sorry for the quality..

Rob

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.