Yay, first day with car and warning lights already :|

seat_tux

Hi,

I just bought a MK1 Leon Cupra on Friday, which despite being MOT'd and serviced by the garage is now presenting warning light 13 Diagnosis/Pollution permanently when the engine is on, and 22 EPC (accelerator pedal fault?) when the ignition is on but goes away when the engine is started.

Pretty annoying since I had to wait 2 weeks for the car to be ready, collected it this morning, refilled with 10 quid of 97 SUL and a few hours later had the warning lights. I'm starting to wonder whether trying to fix the problem(s) associated with those warnings was the reason for the delay.

I'm not sure if it's pertinent to warning light 13, but the exhaust has been replaced with a very wide aftermarket one. Could this affect the lamda sensor?

The car was apparently sitting with a discharged battery over Christmas. Could it just be faulty sensors that are causing the warnings? I'm obviously going to contact the garage to complain, but is it safe to drive the car over the weekend with the warnings showing?

The car itself seems to drive fine. No hesitancy and really smooth.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1551/10012009247nh0.jpg

Warning lights:

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7687/10012009244pg4.jpg

It seems I can't post images yet. Please moderate the post if the above is disallowed.

Cheers in advance for any help and I hope I'll be chatting about more positive stuff with the Cupra soon like remapping :).

Last edited by a moderator:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
could be anything mate. needs reading with vagcom software. try sticking up a request in the vagcom help section. hopefully someone local has it and can check the fault memory. at least you can tell them what needs replacing when you take it back.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Is it not under warranty? The garage should at least be able to tell you what the fault codes are - unless they don't have diagnostic equipment themselves. Really, though, they ought to fix it.

VAG-com will reveal what fault codes have been logged, which is the next step to finding out what the problems are.

Dumb question, but have you had a look to see if the aftermarket exhaust has got both lambda probes in place and wired up?

seat_tux

It was too dark too look at the exhaust when it happened. I'm going to turn the car over now to see whether the same warning lights appear, and if so, contact the garage.

It comes with a month's warranty I think.

seat_tux

Taking it back on Monday for them to check it out.

They suggested that it might be because the battery's been disconnected and it's been sitting for a while that it's picking faults that don't exist.

I notice the right main beam bulb is out too. Maybe it's causing one of the faults to show up.

seat_tux

Hey chill. I'm already pretty miffed about spending 3.5k on a car which is presenting faults on the first day.

seat_tux

Ah np's. I'm going to halfrauds to get a replacement bulb to see if that removes either of the warning lights.

seat_tux

Other than worrying about the warning lights, I'm enjoying the car. It's smooth, quite quick and seems well built.

It's probably partly to do with the Pirelli PZs that are on it just now, but I'd say it's a little hard to get the power down when pulling away without the wheels losing traction compared to coupés I've driven.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
tyres are everything on these cars. better rubber = better traction. rear arb will transform the car too.
glad your enjoying her other than the niggles:)

seat_tux

Yeah, first time I used Pirellis. I thought, they'd be better tbh.
I had GoodYear F1 Eagles and Michelin Pilot Sports on my coupé before that which seemed to have more grip.

seat_tux

I would say that the grip from the Pirellis seems actually not too bad in the wet.

Anyway, now the boot won't open. I don't know if the solenoid is fked.
It's getting really annoying finding more problems with it.

They also swapped out the brand new spare tyre that was in it, and put in an old badly tyre.

I think, the locking nut is missing too. Fun times...

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I would say that the grip from the Pirellis seems actually not too bad in the wet.

Anyway, now the boot won't open. I don't know if the solenoid is fked.
It's getting really annoying finding more problems with it.

They also swapped out the brand new spare tyre that was in it, and put in an old badly tyre.

I think, the locking nut is missing too. Fun times...

What sort of place did you buy the car from?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.