Yet another question around updates😬

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
So...for a bit now I've known that when trying to see which version I'm currently running, it's been saying I need an update.
No little red dot on the top right of the screen, and I only found out when I was trying to find which version I was actually on.

No real issues but today curiosity got the better of me and I decided to press "Update"....hmmm scared me a tad as it took me into an "Engineering" page?
This then asked a series of choices, but after selecting "Update" again and then being given a list of update choices none of which I understood, I backed out and restored it back to what I was already using (1896 it turns out) so I'm guessing this particular update is to be done by a dealer?
Whatever I'll be ringing the dealer I bought the car off tomorrow for advice, just thought I'd see what members views are on this.😬

Reactions: arizla

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Although mine came with 1896 I did have an update appear. There was a red dot though. I did allow the update and all was well afterwards. No idea what it updated though!

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Although mine came with 1896 I did have an update appear. There was a red dot though. I did allow the update and all was well afterwards. No idea what it updated though!
Yeah like I say mine has no red dot, I've spoken to the dealer who's say there are no updates for my car on their system, I am however taking it in for them to check anyway next week.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
So….went to dealers yesterday to check it over, explained about the update query I had and also mentioned about the 1898 update.
Might as well talk to my four year old Granddaughter about it, girl came back with three pages of print out with highlights that apparently “Show all the sensors and modules working correctly” as regards the 1898 they didn’t see anything on their systems saying it required an update or indeed why or where the 1898 update is as they could see nothing🙄

They apparently ran all checks and the car was fine with no alerts or updates, they then went on to say the OTA updates will load with or without me selecting? (Not sure about that)
So drove home (No issues at all, but tbf I haven’t really had many…if any…I just wanted to know why it was asking for an update)

Really annoyed with myself now though because instead of checking while I was at the Dealers, I checked this morning and…I’ve still got the damn request for an update!?

So, I’m posting a couple of photos of what I’m seeing as maybe I’m missing or misinterpreting something here, any comments would be grateful, if I select update a different screen appears which asks me to select how I want to do the update, none of which I’m familiar with so just leave well alone🥴
02C9B6C2-877E-422D-84EE-12BA82E23958.jpeg
BBB2418E-75C1-49C7-B741-D7A91DBE1265.jpeg

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Will do, I did wonder🥴🙄
So…after pressing “Update” it took me to a different page to the one I’d seen a few days ago🙄 as you can see it’s asking for USB one or two and looks like it’s asking if I want update via USB, as I don’t have an update anyway, and beginning to see the vagaries and sheer “Box of chocolates” operation at times (As in you don’t know what your going to get) I’m just going to leave well alone unless I experience any major problems.

The previous time I tried this I was presented with a lot of engineering gobbledygook and various methods/type of update that I had to choose….none of which I recognised or understood 🥴
670E275B-9D0F-4586-BFBC-B9EDE546B534.jpeg
3641FB12-E9CC-43C0-BF6F-453AA8D90DFE.jpeg

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Gawd blimey, never saw that screen before!!!!
As its titled "engineering" i'm guessing thats a secret menu for service technicians.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Gawd blimey, never saw that screen before!!!!
As its titled "engineering" i'm guessing thats a secret menu for service technicians.
Yeah that’s been my thinking as well, but as the “Engineers” say it’s ok I guess I’ll have to go with it for now🥴

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
I’ve still got the damn request for an update

In the normal course of events, you'll never need to access the engineering/service menu. If there's an update you'll see a red dot at the top right of the screen or a modal will pop-up in the middle of the screen.

The screens you're talking about are not for general use and you'll gain nothing by using them. My guess is you're digging deeper into the menus than you need to. You'll get a notification if there's an update.

I stumbled upon the engineering/service menus once, worked out there's nothing for me to do there, and I've ignored them since.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
In the normal course of events, you'll never need to access the engineering/service menu. If there's an update you'll see a red dot at the top right of the screen or a modal will pop-up in the middle of the screen.

The screens you're talking about are not for general use and you'll gain nothing by using them. My guess is you're digging deeper into the menus than you need to. You'll get a notification if there's an update.

I stumbled upon the engineering/service menus once, worked out there's nothing for me to do there, and I've ignored them since.
Yeah totally understand what you're saying, and I too have had the "Red Dot" for an update, all this has been is after trying to see which software version I'm running I get a window saying it wants to update, I'm personally not that interested in it as I'm not having any major issues, just trying to do understand it, but unless something major happens in just going to ignore it.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
How are you getting to the screen that shows the version you're running?

It should look like this.

It's on page 163 of my manual: the System Settings screen, which is not the same as the screen you've posted, which is the engineering/service menu screen.
Ahh sounds like I’ve inadvertently got into this then, I read a post on here somewhere, when I was originally trying to find out which software I had, that you had to long press the small icon bottom left (That can take you back to your homepage etc?)

Reactions: Fencer60

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Ahh sounds like I’ve inadvertently got into this then, I read a post on here somewhere, when I was originally trying to find out which software I had, that you had to long press the small icon bottom left (That can take you back to your homepage etc?)
I wrote this before I actually read your post properly🙄 and I do appear to be in the right area, tbh getting fed up with bothering🤣🤣it’s not giving me any major issues so I’ll just leave well alone, thanks for your help👍🏻🙂

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
I wrote this before I actually read your post properly🙄 and I do appear to be in the right area, tbh getting fed up with bothering🤣🤣it’s not giving me any major issues so I’ll just leave well alone, thanks for your help👍🏻🙂
Update finally sorted out what I was doing wrong (NOT reading the manual would be a good start🙄) I didn’t realise there was a “Settings” widget on the apps that allowed me to see the info🥴

Nov 16, 2021
Had my VZ2 310 for a year now and I love the car, but like everyone the infotainment and software niggles really bug me (came from a 2019 E class) where nothing went wrong.

Car went in last Wednesday for some new parts as the car had a gearbox fault, service and a software update. Got a call on Friday to say it was staying in over the weekend for more testing.

I have been given a Arona FR as a courtesy car and I have to say, the resolution using apple car play is miles better than my Formentor. It’s always felt like apple car play isn’t properly optimised for for the formentor screen.

So question to anyone who has had a recent update, will this change or not.

The number of the apps on the Arona screen I think is 12 vs 8 on Formentor, using maps is much clearer and the wireless charger doesn’t turn my phone to lava after 20
Mins either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hizzards

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
I think the Arona would be 10 Icons? I think that’s the maximum on Car Play

I know what you mean though. I think the screen could support the 2 x 5 layout, but the system needs to tell the phone. I bet it’s just a tickbox and they’ve left it as the default 2 x 4

That being said, sometimes I wonder if the higher resolution is better for driving. Easier to see maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.