Main Differences between the FR and Cupra 20VT models?

ee01akk

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between the Ibiza 1.8 20VT FR and Cupra models are? I'm talking in terms of brakes, suspension, handling, turbo, clutch, gearing etc??

Also what mods would be needed to convert an FR to Cupra and vice-versa? Also are there any owners who have driven both and can explain the difference in ride quality, performance etc?

Ever since Seat stopped making this model in 2007, I can't seem to find much information on this, and I'm looking to buy one but not sure which to go for.

Thanks!

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
There's quite a bit of info on here about the differenes. The AP 4 pots are alot better than the FR brakes even with the 312mm TT conversion. The suspension is lower and stiffer - feels quite different to the FR and the track slightly wider. Exhaust backbox is different. The intake is bigger. Gear ratios are the same between the 20vt Cupra and FR. Lower profile tyres on the Cupra. Engine, turbo and clutch are basically the same. Then there's the black cloth interior, Cupra seats, red detailing, aluminium pedal covers and ESP and EBA as standard.

My Cupra is for sale if you're interested :)

2 Many Ibiza's

The facelift FR has a bit better steering wheel and gearknob (in my opinion) with steering controls, the cupra i went in didnt.
The cupra has a front mounted intercooler and a different map (i think)? leading to 30hp more
Cupra has oval tip exhaust, FR has twin round exhaust tip

cant think of anything else other than mentioned above

Last edited by a moderator:

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The later Cupras have a few differences too such as the different gearkbob, steering wheel, MP3 Alana, Cupra badges on B pillars, even different coloured centre caps on the alloys. The Cupra logos were changed late 2006/early 2007. My 07 plate PD160 had the differences.

ee01akk

I've heard that the Seat Ibiza FR/ Cupra has very light steering, especially at high speeds.

Does anyone know if the Ibiza is good on the motorway, or is it best around town?

Also, does the Cupra/ FR come in 5 door versions or just 3 door?

Thanks.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
They have speed sensitive power steering so it's quite light at low speeds but stiffens up at high speed. It's def not light at high speeds! (unless whoevers you heard it from broke theirs :shrug:) The Cupra only comes in 3 door, FR comes in 3 door and 5 door.

ee01akk

They have speed sensitive power steering so it's quite light at low speeds but stiffens up at high speed. It's def not light at high speeds! (unless whoevers you heard it from broke theirs :shrug:) The Cupra only comes in 3 door, FR comes in 3 door and 5 door.

Thanks Kriso.

Are you still looking to sell?:drool:

ee01akk

Ibiza's are fine on the motorway. Especialy when they are mapped and you have all the extra torque to play with ;)

Yes but the big challenge is trying to channel all that torque into a light FWD car.

I like the Ibiza's engine a lot but when I test drove it, it just had this loose feeling to it, like the tyres weren't really connected to the road. My main gripe is the traction and grip at high speeds.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I have great traction in mine.

I have coilovers, Seat Sport front strut brace, White line rear ARB and 20mm rear spacers. For a small front wheel drive car with the power it has it handles and grips very well.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Yes but the big challenge is trying to channel all that torque into a light FWD car.

As long as you don't floor it in the first few gears it's fine. It's when the turbo kicks in that I get the wheelspin, and that is at quite low revs. So as long as you control your foot around it it's fine :)

Tyres make a massive difference too. When I just had the Stage 1 map, I practically eliminated wheelspin in the dry by switching from worn Toyo T1-Rs to Yokohama Parada Spec 2s. It really surprised me!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE

I like the Ibiza's engine a lot but when I test drove it, it just had this loose feeling to it, like the tyres weren't really connected to the road. My main gripe is the traction and grip at high speeds.

I think you must have test driven one with worn or cheap tyres on it. :yes:

Or if it had higher mileage maybe worn dampers.

ee01akk

I think you must have test driven one with worn or cheap tyres on it. :yes:

Or if it had higher mileage maybe worn dampers.

No I checked the tyres and they were fine, and it had done 14,000 miles.

I've driven a Golf TDi and it sticks to the road likes its on rails on bends, but the Ibiza has trouble.

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
As long as you don't floor it in the first few gears it's fine. It's when the turbo kicks in that I get the wheelspin, and that is at quite low revs. So as long as you control your foot around it it's fine :)

Tyres make a massive difference too. When I just had the Stage 1 map, I practically eliminated wheelspin in the dry by switching from worn Toyo T1-Rs to Yokohama Parada Spec 2s. It really surprised me!

Yeah I had the same problem with when the turbo kicks in but now I've resolved that. ;) Can now floor it in 2nd with zero wheel spin.

ee01akk

The later Cupras have a few differences too such as the different gearkbob, steering wheel, MP3 Alana, Cupra badges on B pillars, even different coloured centre caps on the alloys. The Cupra logos were changed late 2006/early 2007. My 07 plate PD160 had the differences.

Does anyone know if the 1.8 20VT FR comes with electronic brake assist, ESP and traction control like the Cupra? If it doesn't, then that's pretty bad IMO.

I certainly hope the FR comes with ABS, as if it doesn't Seat are bunch of cheapskates. I've heard there isn't even a bootlight in the Ibiza models!![:@]

2 Many Ibiza's

it comes with switchable traction control and of course ABS.

dont think it has ESP or brake assist

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Does anyone know if the 1.8 20VT FR comes with electronic brake assist, ESP and traction control like the Cupra? If it doesn't, then that's pretty bad IMO.

I certainly hope the FR comes with ABS, as if it doesn't Seat are bunch of cheapskates. I've heard there isn't even a bootlight in the Ibiza models!![:@]

You can get ESP as an option, otherwise you just get TCS as standard I think. It def comes with ABS. There is a bootlight in some cars. My old Cupra had one, but current one doesn't :shrug:

ee01akk

You can get ESP as an option, otherwise you just get TCS as standard I think. It def comes with ABS. There is a bootlight in some cars. My old Cupra had one, but current one doesn't :shrug:

I suppose Seat now expects all humans to evolve into having night vision.:lol:

But seriously, a car without a boot light is like a car without a steering wheel!!:blink:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.