Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
:wave:..........................Post #576 :weedy:
Alright Baz, I did reply to your message but due to there also being a reference to selling some items the post was deleted.

TBH I didn't question whether it was coated/tinted or hardened.

I know the rear window is formed and AFAIK the fronts are all flat. The only extra I paid for was a slider on the drivers window to save me having to drill this myself to fit a chopper porthole like thingy.
TBH I think the slider is better as at least you can open this to speak to people.

Might be like speaking through a letter box though, lol

TBH even if I did get the chance of coatings or hardneing I wouldn't have taken it. I wear shades on the track so not point in having paid extra for this.

Also negotiating prices/designs for SCN sun strips too as I don't have any sun visors

Have you looked into polycarb windeee's too?
What prices were you looking at?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Guys can you please stop spamming my thread with **** that's got nothing to do with my car.

I have asked nicely and you've taken no notice of my requests.

Please take you conversations to either PM's or another thread.
There are hundreds of 4WD threads in the MK1 section already, please add to these.

Cheers

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
You're going to lose a shed load of weight doing this then! And lower the centre of gravity while you're at it
Hi Robert,

I had replied to this comment but due to there being a reference to items for sale this was deleted.
I'm hoping in total to loose 25 Kgs. The inner door panel on the drivers side is 4 kgs, window 3 kgs.
So front loose 14 Kgs. Rear doors say 10 Kgs and back window say 8Kgs. Replacement windows say 7 Kgs.
As you said all this weight is above the spring mounts so pendulum motion will be reduced and the CG will be lowered too.
I don't know how much difference I would notice just with this done but by the time I get on the track I'll have the diff and a remap so the car should be feeling massively different

That's about 15kg saving with all door windows and the B pillar at the back right ?

By the way regarding the KW V3 Suspension, after having a nightmare of a weekend trying to change my engine mounts I decided to give Storm Development my car to fit and tune the suspension for track days. They will also be doing corner weights to balance the car.
Hi Indy,

As above, the reply to you was deleted in the same post.

I'm very interested to see what ride height you end up running and what settings they dial into the bound and rebound. Let me know and I'll replicate these and see if I noticed positive or negative differences.

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Alright Baz, I did reply to your message but due to there also being a reference to selling some items the post was deleted.

TBH I didn't question whether it was coated/tinted or hardened.

TBH even if I did get the chance of coatings or hardneing I wouldn't have taken it. I wear shades on the track so not point in having paid extra for this.

Also negotiating prices/designs for SCN sun strips too as I don't have any sun visors

Have you looked into polycarb windeee's too?
What prices were you looking at?

Yeah yeah:p

The hardened coating isn't for blocking out the sun or to look good it's there to prevent the poly looking like it's been washed with a brillo pad after one wash. All the poly windows i've seen are pretty bad. So i'm going for the coated ones.

Why SCN sun strip? Are they going to pay you for it? Sponsors or deals on cheaper parts that's what decals are for ;)

Got prices a few years ago and again this year. They've gone up slightly but not much. Mine will be around £550. I'm going for the hard coat, pre formed, black edges on the rear 3 windows and two sliders. Once i get them I'll get Motorwerks to stick i light film on them.

If your planning on de-skinning your doors and removing electrics etc you'll be looking at another 9.8kg saving for both.;)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yeah yeah:p

The hardened coating isn't for blocking out the sun or to look good it's there to prevent the poly looking like it's been washed with a brillo pad after one wash. All the poly windows i've seen are pretty bad. So i'm going for the coated ones.

Why SCN sun strip? Are they going to pay you for it? Sponsors or deals on cheaper parts that's what decals are for ;)

Got prices a few years ago and again this year. They've gone up slightly but not much. Mine will be around £550. I'm going for the hard coat, pre formed, black edges on the rear 3 windows and two sliders. Once i get them I'll get Motorwerks to stick i light film on them.

If your planning on de-skinning your doors and removing electrics etc you'll be looking at another 9.8kg saving for both.;)
Yup I'm expecting a total weight save of 25 Kgs:)
Thats a good idea about getting the windows fitted with tints/film.
You know me Barry, 2 bucket method all the way so would hope not to sctratch the windees much

Also SCN has done a MASSIVE amount for me the every way with my car, so this is me giving a little bit back in a way I can

Last edited:

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Yup I'm expecting a total weight save of 25 Kgs:)
Thats a good idea about getting the windows fitted with tints/film.
You know me Barry, 2 bucket method all the way so would hope not to sctratch the windees much

Also SCN has done a MASSIVE amount for me the every way with my car, so this is me giving a little bit back in a way I can

Is that for the all the door skins and electrics or is that just from replacing the glass?

The poly windows i've seen have always been rinsed with a power washer then washed 2 bucket as well. If they do get too bad just give them the once over with the polisher;)

Fair doos, nae my cup of tea like.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
:drool:good effort on the car there willie. read it with keen interest, as i plan on building one, and the LCR seems like a good base to start.

very keen on the weight loss, so im defo looking forward to seeing what the car weighs in at once complete.

Have you looked into drilling all of your panels. i believe there is something on the market called a hole swagger which re-strenghens the panel once it has been drilled. you can see it on this pic. the holes get pushed in somehow???
160220096111.jpg

what power figure will you be aiming for. What power are you aiming for and what power to weight ratio are you aiming for. 260Hp and 1250kg will give you a nice 208Hp/ton which will be fantastic on a track.

I have a question for you about the weight loss and effects on handling though. obviously less weight is good, but 90% of the weight must have come off the rear end of the car. does this cause the rear to over rotate during hard cornering, and even more so become abit skittish under hard braking and decelleration gear changes etc.

Wil you be putting a brake bias valve in the car as well, as reading up on the clio sport forums, (alot of guys have stripped their cars for track there), they all felt that the brake biased needed adjusting after the weight loss.

great build thread though pal

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
Just a quick update I've got a call from storm developments they finshed the suspension setup and corner weighed my car. With out me in the car :) it actually weighs 1228kg.

Willie your car with the windows changed should come in around the 1200 mark.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
:drool:good effort on the car there willie. read it with keen interest, as i plan on building one, and the LCR seems like a good base to start.

very keen on the weight loss, so im defo looking forward to seeing what the car weighs in at once complete.

Have you looked into drilling all of your panels. i believe there is something on the market called a hole swagger which re-strenghens the panel once it has been drilled. you can see it on this pic. the holes get pushed in somehow???
160220096111.jpg

what power figure will you be aiming for. What power are you aiming for and what power to weight ratio are you aiming for. 260Hp and 1250kg will give you a nice 208Hp/ton which will be fantastic on a track.

I have a question for you about the weight loss and effects on handling though. obviously less weight is good, but 90% of the weight must have come off the rear end of the car. does this cause the rear to over rotate during hard cornering, and even more so become abit skittish under hard braking and decelleration gear changes etc.

Wil you be putting a brake bias valve in the car as well, as reading up on the clio sport forums, (alot of guys have stripped their cars for track there), they all felt that the brake biased needed adjusting after the weight loss.

great build thread though pal
I have noticed the rear end wanted to swap with thhe front for a start with the spare wheel out. I've now been running 30PSI on the rear (32PSI hot) for road and track and this has made a massive difference

Just a quick update I've got a call from storm developments they finshed the suspension setup and corner weighed my car. With out me in the car :) it actually weighs 1228kg.

Willie your car with the windows changed should come in around the 1200 mark.
Yup this seems fair enough.
Looking forward to hearing more detail about your handling stance now:)

Lardy Leons :harhar:
We'll see;)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Sounds good Willie, isn't the LCR something like 1350kgs to start with, so that's quite a bit of weight loss. All you need now is a big turbo kit and you'll be flying!!! :D
Maybe one day.
Lots of other things to spend money on just now.

Weight loss still to be confirmed

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
i read previously that the aircon system in a mk5 GTI is round 50Kg complete once stripped out. dont think i have read that yours has been stripped. it might be handy for those hot summers days though thats the only problem.

You mean a Hole Swager.....
thats the badger. think it would take a while, but if your going to do it, so it rtight i guess.

I have noticed the rear end wanted to swap with thhe front for a start with the spare wheel out. I've now been running 30PSI on the rear (32PSI hot) for road and track and this has made a massive difference

are you running higher or lower pressures on the front though.

What is the new spec on the car now then willie.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
i read previously that the aircon system in a mk5 GTI is round 50Kg complete once stripped out. dont think i have read that yours has been stripped. it might be handy for those hot summers days though thats the only problem.

thats the badger. think it would take a while, but if your going to do it, so it rtight i guess.

are you running higher or lower pressures on the front though.

What is the new spec on the car now then willie.
New spec updated on pages one, some bits still to fit but this will be (hopefully) the running spec for the first track day

I'm running the OEM pressure, 33 PSI on the front

Air con unit is 15 Kgs and will find out soon what the rest of the gubbins weighs;)

I have a slider on the drivers window that will help with cooling and will buy a blower for window de mister

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
You mean a hand held air blower? Surely this is adding weight again :blink: . Liking the progress. Need to see this car on the road and not online though lol.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise