HID install, is this correct?

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
I've finally got round to getting a set of HIDs which I'm fitting at the weekend. I thought I'd check I've got it right in my head before I give it a go, is this right: ?

hids.jpg

It looks pretty straight forward which is why I think I'm missing something. I had a look through the FAQ but some of the guides are missing some pictures.

Cheers

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
yep, thats it mate. dead simple job.

takes longer deciding where to put the ballasts than actually fitting it ;)

which bulbs did you go for? 6000k, 5000k?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I've finally got round to getting a set of HIDs which I'm fitting at the weekend. I thought I'd check I've got it right in my head before I give it a go, is this right: ?

hids.jpg

It looks pretty straight forward which is why I think I'm missing something. I had a look through the FAQ but some of the guides are missing some pictures.

Cheers

That its alright, one piece of advice though, do not cut the holes for the grommet to big otherwise the rubber grommet will not be a snug fit in the hole and you will get water entering the head light, if i was doing this again i would go a size smaller then the smallest part of the grommet, if that makes sense.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
That its alright, one piece of advice though, do not cut the holes for the grommet to big otherwise the rubber grommet will not be a snug fit in the hole and you will get water entering the head light, if i was doing this again i would go a size smaller then the smallest part of the grommet, if that makes sense.

Yeh that makes sense buddy, I think I've got a 25mm circular drill bit but I was thinking of going smaller and then filing it up if I need to.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
yep, thats it mate. dead simple job.

takes longer deciding where to put the ballasts than actually fitting it ;)

which bulbs did you go for? 6000k, 5000k?

6000k in the end. I was really after 5000k but came across this set for 30 odd quid with 2 year warranty. It's silly money really so I guess I can still change to 5000k later if I don't get on with these.
To be honest though I'm driving a mk2 ibiza at the moment and I'm pretty sure the headlights are powered by little men with candles, so anything is going to be an improvement over that.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
lol @ the candles.

you'll notice a huge improvement. £30 is a great price.

Sep 29, 2008
Midlands

Good advice!

Yeh that makes sense buddy, I think I've got a 25mm circular drill bit but I was thinking of going smaller and then filing it up if I need to.

Think I went for an 18mm hole or similar and the grommet was pliable enough that it could be squeezed in.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members