James' LCR

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Hey all,

Thought i'd start a thread about my LCR. I sold my mk2 Golf in October last year and started looking straight away for a LCR, within a week I had bought an onvi yellow LCR 210. I bought it with the seller telling me it was completly standard, which i later found out it wasn't!! It felt a lot quicker and more responsive than the others that i had test drove. So i promptly bought a liquid gauge and started collecting some data. It was boosting at 22psi peak, and dropping off to 16/17 psi, so i assumed it had been chipped. After looking under the bonnet i realised it had an old forge 006 DV and a split boost and vac pipe. So within the week i changed the pipes, done a full service and replaced the cambelt.
Winter soon came, along with the rain, 3 out of the 4 foot wells started to fill up with water, so i had to repair the seals on the doors (touch wood, they haven't leaked since), and the boot wasn't locking from the key fob (the metal rod from the boot solenoid wasn't attached to the lock, so an easy fix)!! After finding these niggly things it's been spot on since, and flew through the M.O.T!!

The new year brought on new mods, which are as follows-

Chipped (not sure by who, is there any way of finding out?)
Replaced the forge 006 (which had a blue spring in) DV for a forge 007 with a yellow spring.
Pipercross panel filter.
Forge dog bone mount (the vibration dissapeared after 40 miles!!)
Skoda rear wiper conversion
Forge quickshift
N249 bypass, had to do this after a fault code appeared and wouldn't go away, so bypassed the valve and hasn't come back since.
6000 HIDS
Currently spraying the front and rear Seat badge.

Mods to come-

GRS motorsport FMIC
Jetex cone filter (to replace the panel filter)
Toyosport oil catch can
T.I.P (not sure which one to go for)
Boost, coolant and vac silicone pipes
Uprate the brakes (Proberly get the CRN deal)
Refurb and spray the wheels
Exhaust system (when funds allow it)

According to my liquid gauge, depending how accurate it is, it's currently running at 245bhp.

Thats it for the moment, views and opions welcome. Pictures aren't great but just to show you my pride and joy (Excuse the holes where the badges should be. lol), and a quick one of the old Golf.

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
nice list of mods dude....

its very rare to find a standard LCR these days, so i would imagine 90% of them have been remapped then sold on 'as standard'.

you not doing any suspension work?

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Hey mate, yeh the mods are coming along nicely, just got to wait until pay day to carry on. lol. I had coilovers on the golf and the ride was unbearable, couldn't drive more than 30 miles without getting p*ssed off with it!! I've been looking at other peoples threads about ARB and am considering uprating the front and rear. Was considering a S3 front upper strut brace, but don't like the thought of drilling into the suspension struts!!!!

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
James if you get decent coilovers the comfort factor shouldnt be a problem. I have KW V3s and when they were first fitted they were 10 times more comfortable than standard shocks. But ive fiddled about with them too much now (for handling purposes) and yeh it handles fantastic, but you feel every stone etc in the road, when the car goes in for the cambelt i will get the guys to make it a bit more comfortable for road use.

I dont have the ARBS although its on my shopping list, apparantly they are the second best thing you can do to the car (other than stage 1 remap)...i will get them eventually but i have the coillies, rear strut and S3 front strut brace. If you get the front strut brace you will notice it more on initial turn in (as you approach a bend or roundabout etc) turn in will be sharper, and the steering will appear heavier- i think this was a good thing as the car felt more connected.

Enjoy your new car though buddy

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
James if you get decent coilovers the comfort factor shouldnt be a problem. I have KW V3s and when they were first fitted they were 10 times more comfortable than standard shocks. But ive fiddled about with them too much now (for handling purposes) and yeh it handles fantastic, but you feel every stone etc in the road, when the car goes in for the cambelt i will get the guys to make it a bit more comfortable for road use.

I dont have the ARBS although its on my shopping list, apparantly they are the second best thing you can do to the car (other than stage 1 remap)...i will get them eventually but i have the coillies, rear strut and S3 front strut brace. If you get the front strut brace you will notice it more on initial turn in (as you approach a bend or roundabout etc) turn in will be sharper, and the steering will appear heavier- i think this was a good thing as the car felt more connected.

Enjoy your new car though buddy

If you drill the front struts to fit the strut barace, won't that weaking the suspension strut and eventually rust out?
I doubt i will get a rear strut brace as a lot of people say they didn't feel any difference once installing it, and i quite reguarly use the boot space for my snowboard and fishing gear!!!
I might have to do some more research on some coilovers then, i think the LCR are lowered 20 mm already so i would proberly go another 20mm and see what it handles like!!

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Sprayed the Seat badges this weekend, came out quite nicely. Unsure on the rear badge though, doesn't quite seem right. What do you guys think?

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

craig007

;)Alrite mate,

Nice car and best colour too...! especially in the summer when you attract everyones attention haha

Good list of mods...keep it up

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
;)Alrite mate,

Nice car and best colour too...! especially in the summer when you attract everyones attention haha

Good list of mods...keep it up

Cheers for the comment mate. Your right it is the best colour, it already makes people take a second look when i drive past, makes me smile! Still unsure on the badges though, hopefully they'll grow on me, if not i'll be spraying them again!!

Johnny_Mac_LCR

Did you get it from Frome? I seen that one on ebay a few months ago (just before xmas i think ), nearly went for it myself but diddn't quite have the funds together at that point.

Looks good tho mate, glad your happy with it.

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Hello mate, hows it going? Cars looking good...I didn't know the car had been remapped. Did you do the dog bone mounts your self? I may have to get you involved when I do mine too. Hope alls well.

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Did you get it from Frome? I seen that one on ebay a few months ago (just before xmas i think ), nearly went for it myself but diddn't quite have the funds together at that point.

Looks good tho mate, glad your happy with it.

Hey mate, yeh i did get it from Frome off ebay!!

I'm very happy with it, and the badges got a lot of attention
on my trip to Plymouth last night to watch the footy!!

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Hello mate, hows it going? Cars looking good...I didn't know the car had been remapped. Did you do the dog bone mounts your self? I may have to get you involved when I do mine too. Hope alls well.

Mr Aplin is that you? Didn't realise you were on the site, just about to look through your ride thread!!

The mount is easy enough to do mate! I bought the powerflex bush a while back (which only replaces the rubber bushes), but i'm thinking of getting the THS kit (which is i direct replacement for the whole mount)!! Let me know if you need any help mate.

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
looks good mate, stuck mine on rollers this weekend, got 211 after i binned the dodgy revo shite and swapped for an MRC Tuning!! got new wheels too....... :)

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=255473

Alright mate, hows it going? That's not bad at all mate, I'll have a look at your thread in a bit. Getting the FMIC sorted soon, can't wait to get it on. I'll have to come and have a proper look at the beast soon mate!!

Last edited:

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
My jetex cone filter arrived today! easy to insatall and looks great! I left the bottom half of the air box in at the moment until i figure a way of securing it properly, and when i get a cold air feed. Hoping to get some silicone tubing soon to push the filter into the wing! Just waiting on an oil catch can and T.I.P now, should look and feel a lot better once all of it is installed.
Ran some g/s recordings on the way into work, with the old pipercross panel filter it was sucking in 178g/s, with the jetex cone filter it sucks in 195g/s!!! Quite impressed with the filter, throttle response is alot better, not overly loud and the dump valve sounds better :D!! I'll get some pictures up once everything else arreives and is fitted.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.