Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
Version 10

I just had my MY13 SATNAV (v2) updated to V10. It cost £100 plus £15 to put the code in.
In all honesty I can't see any difference (including speed) in the system. It still misses all the junctions/roundabouts the last one did. I am not joking. To me I would even go as far as to say it is probably the same bloody map. I wouldn't rush for the update chaps. I tried to complain but they ignored the issue of similarity and apologised for the cost (which they said would reduce in future).
Very disappointed.

silles

May 4, 2017
I just had my MY13 SATNAV (v2) updated to V10. It cost £100 plus £15 to put the code in.
In all honesty I can't see any difference (including speed) in the system. It still misses all the junctions/roundabouts the last one did. I am not joking. To me I would even go as far as to say it is probably the same bloody map. I wouldn't rush for the update chaps. I tried to complain but they ignored the issue of similarity and apologised for the cost (which they said would reduce in future).
Very disappointed.

is this optional? Did they ask your whether u wanted the upgrade?

update: looks like u can do it yourself: http://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/navigation.html

Last edited:

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
Silles,
I did ask for the update, but I think it is a total waste of money.
Mapcare, the link you sent, is for the US. Updates in the UK must be bought at a dealership.

Tell

Staff member
It's Seat UK which is cheaky and just shipping the system without Mapcare and the token costs to upgrade rather walloping users with big upgrade costs which don't apply in mainland Europe with Mapcare. Skoda get 5 years now for their 100 Euros. Here Maps the joint venture of the Vag group with BMW and other car manufacturers are offering crowd sourcing software to edit their maps which I've been doing but very rich to expect users to do this for free if the map updates are not free.

I've noticed on my holidays in Croatia that round abouts aren't on the 2016 maps of my Ateca but are on the source live Here Maps. This begs the question of when the live maps get integrated into the cars system via the updates.

I might get tired of editing Here Maps for corrections if Seat UK aren't playing ball. They need to get their act together.

silles

May 4, 2017
Silles,
I did ask for the update, but I think it is a total waste of money.
Mapcare, the link you sent, is for the US. Updates in the UK must be bought at a dealership.

I stick to google maps / copilot ( bought it 5 years ago for 20-30 quid and map/ sofware updates are for live :D

Tell

Staff member
The problem with the non built in ones is that they jump roads as the satellite signal drops away. I tend to think Google Maps, Co pilot etc are good for where you know the roads on commuter runs but where you don't you are better off with the fitted ones where the wheel revolutions aid the system where they go blind, non fitted ones jump the location about. The classic one in Europe are the town tunnels where you need to take a left or right on exit but they loose their way so you leave the tunnel and miss the turn off. Had a good example in Japan where I ignored the cars system and obeyed Google Maps it jumped, and off we went ten miles off route missing a junction.

I tend to look up the Google Maps alternatives before travelling with realtime delays then use the cars system, but as navigator I use both and follow a GPS track as well for boots and braces but that is in Japan. The Japanese maps in rental cars not being updated was the seduction of Google Maps for route finding when one gets in a pickle with the signal jumping. Horses for courses but a lot to be said for built in systems with up-to-date maps and accurate realtime data.

stonephatmacist

May 31, 2017
A great workaround for a cynical money spinner

Wrote some lines on how I did it.
Check it out here: h*ttp://w*ww.file-upload.net/download-12273220/Mapcareworkaround.pdf.html

Thanks exciter for creating this workaround! :happy:

It really annoyed [:@] me when I found out the additional cost of new maps for my SEAT Leon ST FR. I had paid enough for the navigation system in the first place - to then have to pay more to update it is beyond a joke!

In addition it is very cynical the way that SEAT has created unnecessary work for the garage to update the map when really they could allow the owner to sort it at no cost, without a need to visit the garage.

Tell

Staff member
MIB2 High Error Message if you don't have Mapcare

Can someone confirm what the error message is if you try to do the update without Mapcare on the Mib2 High unit, SSD one. I had been putting it off for months to a period when I wasn't dependent on sat nav. Prepared the card with 7zip etc and get

"Error: no data available: Please insert a source with software update or check the source data"

Tried a number of times with different downloads. Google doesn't throw any light on it. Sort of expecting it to blow a raspberry and mention Mapcare as the reason. Some Ateca's with the Plus unit were mis built with Mapcare was testing whether I had one of these. I know vag has issues with this message and the poi upload so wondered whether it fell into that category. It is a PC, not a MAC so isn't the hidden file thing. Also tried the VW utility program extract, Map something, that one didn't work, plus a leaked copy of the 2017-18 Mib2 High maps. That didn't work either. German Ateca owners with Mapcare had been uploading the VW update and that worked for them fine. For MIB2 High its all the same map update for the whole VAG group.

The mib2 standard hack isn't available to me. Pity. When I ordered the car the workaround had not been found else I would have gone for the standard unit.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I'm like my cat after he's losses a mouse keep going back to the same place.

I've found this post in Russian which seems pretty key as far as the SSD systems are concerned

https://www.drive2.com/l/464916398250918465/

In English

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran....drive2.com/l/464916398250918465/&prev=search

I stumbled over the SWDL command of the Green menu in Italian by Googling the text in the metafile update to see what people were talking about and then work backwards. SWDL command took us to our Russian friend...

The as yet unreleased SSD maps for June 2017 is here

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/431125-direct-download-links-for-ece-20172018-maps/

Discover Care that I mentioned further up gives gives you the current version for SSD (MIB2High)... the Russian guy says he's done it on MIB1 and MIB2 these are the disc based / SSD card systems not SD which has the workaround... that's my reading. The update time of 50 minutes tallies with the SSD map times.

http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/discovercare.html

Pretty important to make sure the update SD card or USB is FAT32, no hidden files etc. The Discover Care software one suspects was released by VW to iron out MAC issues with hidden files.

Then you got this one here in Italian where Dillario has a problem.... still researching it before I try it.

https://www.seat-leon.de/vboard/sho...nssystem-plus-Features-und-Erfahrungen/page55

Fools rush in etc. Feel free to test this before me:). I'm going to look at putting my MIB2High Ateca Plus unit into the engineering menu via OBDEleven then see how it goes. The unreleased June 2017 file has been used by German Ateca board posters with Mapcare so we know that works. All the MIB2High updates are the same irrespective of which VAG car it's used against.

So yes, I think this is the SSD workaround for the map updates. Assuming why the guy is doing like this since Mapcare is not available. Something for MIB1 users here as well I think. I'm thinking that the units without Mapcare enabled just don't have the software for the important but you do it manually via the backend. Manually was another word in Italian where SWDL command was mentioned.

Edit. I notice in the translated Russian to English comments on the top link some serious bitching which doesn't appear to be restricted to boards in the west... difficult to tell whether its over it not tangibly working with a user error or whether the Mib2 and Mib1 are modded. Still researching it since I don't want to brick my unit. I've been told that it still won't work (and it will wreck your existing maps)... I don't think they had tried it mine you. Decided that I'm not prepared to risk my unit. The search goes on for the MIB2High solution, but the Briskoda and Discover care links are still good for anyone who has Mapcare and the MIB2High unit it's all the same update across the VAG group.

Edit. Yeah it's the retrofit Mib2's Pros that can be updated via the SWDL (& Mib1), still checking what happens if you do it with a non Mapcare, non retrofit unit. Someone said hell fire etc but I'm thinking the md5 file to protect the unit against flagged units that can and the lack of the engineering menu unless enabled is the front line, but still researching the subject.

Edit. DON'T DO IT. Resolved that one. Take my word on that.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
The standard Mib2 ECE 2017-2018 update is here for anyone who wants to try... I don't have the standard Mib2 unit but understand the updates are common within the VAG group for Mib2 Standard and High. Seat haven't published their link to this file yet (edit they have based on Sebastalian's post below but says 0730 on the web page but is wrong it points to 0820 which is the Mib2 Standard one on the url below).

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...me_campaign_light&&Page=VW_Europe_Media_MIB2&

The Mib2High for the Plus unit ECE 2017-2018 is here

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...nFrame_campaign_light&Page=VW_Europe_Pro_MIB2

Accepting everything that has been read on the thread so far...

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Yep, that's the same file for Zone 1 as the VW MIB2 Standard file which I downloaded last night to look at.

0820_MP163-1214.xEUR1.7z

So we are talking about the same file. So yes Seat have propagated the files to their website.

I suspect that the Exciter method will still work. If you use the same card and do a back up before it's step 11 which is the only thing you need to do of his PDF if not generating a new card with the cloned area.

Interested to hear whether they have fixed the postcode issue that was introduced with ECE 2017 where spaces had to be omitted.

Last edited:

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Successfully updated from 0635 to 0820

Gentlemen, a successful update report here.

My PartNo on the original SD card is: 6P0919866H

I managed to update from 0635 to 0820 with exciter's approach, i.e.:
1. Reformatted the SD card that had 0635 on it
2. Copied the freshly dowloaded 0820 version to the SD card
3. Replaced /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with that from 0635
4. edited the /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt so that one of the PartNumberX entries correctly has my own part number in it, that is I replaced PartNumber4 from PartNumber4="6P0919866R" to PartNumber4="6P0919866H"
5. Inserted the card into the card and voila: 0820 working.

Step #4 may be completely useless, I did it nevertheless, and did not test without it. YMMV.
The fact that exciter made it work without #4, is a strong argument to try without it.

This is a fresh: tested a couple of route calculations, searches, all was OK so far, no reboots. Will report back after a couple of days.

Last edited:

darkstar815

Aug 6, 2015
Gentlemen, a successful update report here.

My PartNo on the original SD card is: 6P0919866H

I managed to update from 0635 to 0820 with exciter's approach, i.e.:
1. Reformatted the SD card that had 0635 on it
2. Copied the freshly dowloaded 0820 version to the SD card
3. Replaced /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with that from 0635
4. edited the /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt so that one of the PartNumberX entries correctly has my own part number in it, that is I replaced PartNumber4 from PartNumber4="6P0919866R" to PartNumber4="6P0919866H"
5. Inserted the card into the card and voila: 0820 working.

Step #4 may be completely useless, I did it nevertheless, and did not test without it. YMMV.
The fact that exciter made it work without #4, is a strong argument to try without it.

This is a fresh: tested a couple of route calculations, searches, all was OK so far, no reboots. Will report back after a couple of days.

will have a go at this when i get home better then paying seat for the updates

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Just updated my nav to 0820 using darkstars method above. Seems OK so far . Not driven any distance yet but have a 250 mile round planned on Sunday so will be a good test. Will report back experience ;)

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Just updated my nav to 0820 using darkstars method above. Seems OK so far . Not driven any distance yet but have a 250 mile round planned on Sunday so will be a good test. Will report back experience ;)

You lucky people with your SD based systems. Did it fix the uk postcode issue of spaces needing to be removed which was put in, in ece 2017. Should work with and without but they screwed it up. I suspect it did... depends whether any of you were on ece 2017. That file is standard across the whole mib2 standard range of vag that got the issue last time round.

Blokie

Jul 2, 2017
Picked up my MY16 Leon FR 184 today and it had the 0635 / ECE1 2016/17 nav software on it.

First change I made was to update to the new 0820 / ECE1 2017/18 version using the notabenem method above and pleased to say it worked perfectly.

I didn't use the old version to compare, but it looks like the postcode "bug" is still present Tell.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I've successfully gone from 0521 to 0820 using the trick of copying back the OVERALL.NDS file. I'm sure things look a bit different, but it's hard to tell as I don't use the SatNav that often!

It still doesn't show a postcode that I went to last week, but maybe it's too new. One test will be on my journey to work, as they have reduced the speed limit on a part of the journey from 60 to 50. Again, might be too recent.

When I go to the Version screen, I now see '6P0919866R', '0820' & 'ECE1 2017/18'. I clicked the 'UPDATE' button, but just got a message saying 'Error: no data available. Please insert a source with software update data or check the source'. Not sure what what would have got updated, if the software update data was available. May be to do with if you have the harddisk version.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.