New Cigarette Smoke Smell from Air Con?

SierraTango

Sep 11, 2018
Edinburgh
Hi,

As the title suggests, I can now smell a new cigarette smoke/something foosty from the air con.

I don't smoke, I don't allow any passengers to smoke in the car, plus the smell weirdly only appeared once I got in the car after finishing work (the car journey there smelled fine :shrug:). I've been fiddling about trying to air the car out, and the smell is not apparent at the coldest setting - but above 23 degrees, it's honking. Also worse when air is directed at the footwell. I was wondering if:

1a. Does this maybe need some sort of filter cleaned/changed?
1b. If so, what's the best filter to get?
2. Other suggestions/products to help get rid of the smell?

Thanks in advance!

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Might be worth a look at the cabin filter, could be damp etc and due a change. Not expensive from Eurocarparts using the discount code, it's located behind the glove box and there is a diy on this site somewhere as well.

Reactions: SierraTango

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Any chance your car is parked near the smoking area at work ?

Could your workmates be having a laugh and have dropped something in to the air intake area ?

Reactions: Rooster

SierraTango

Sep 11, 2018
Edinburgh
Might be worth a look at the cabin filter, could be damp etc and due a change. Not expensive from Eurocarparts using the discount code, it's located behind the glove box and there is a diy on this site somewhere as well.

I'll give that a go, I'm sure I liked a 'How To..' post on that a while back.
Also, what's this discount code for Eurocarparts? I've never seen one on the forum (right enough, I haven't needed any parts yet).

Any chance your car is parked near the smoking area at work ?

Could your workmates be having a laugh and have dropped something in to the air intake area ?

Possibly, maybe customers - I worked at a supermarket but tended to park with other colleagues. Is it just a case of lifting up the bonnet and clearing any debris yeah?

and cheers @EFF11, will give that a go till I can check the filter.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, if you go on the Eurocarparts website they usually have a discount code on the front page, it tends to vary between 30 to 50% but they always seem to have one!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That happens sometimes when the car in front throws out a fag end and it lands on your intake

Really annoys me. Had it happen before and it got stuck in my grill and carried on smoking. Stunk my car out.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.