Stolen Cupra

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I dont have a family living with me to worry about, and access to my house isnt going to be easy, or quiet to get. Keys will be in my bedroom.

Apart from that i will make it as hard as possible to drive the car away have plans for a dummy OBD and a physical lock, and possibly a battery by-pass. It only has to slow them down enough to alert the police.

Reactions: Keri Stacey

Keri Stacey

Oct 26, 2018
I dont have a family living with me to worry about, and access to my house isnt going to be easy, or quiet to get. Keys will be in my bedroom.

Apart from that i will make it as hard as possible to drive the car away have plans for a dummy OBD and a physical lock, and possibly a battery by-pass. It only has to slow them down enough to alert the police.
We all try our best to keep everything protected in the hope they don't come looking but unfortunately there's some proper scum out there who will go to any length. Both the police and the house insurance company told us never to take your keys upstairs, if you do take them as far as the landing in the hope they find them before you

Reactions: Legojon

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch

I don't think I know of a seat being taken by the obd, it's not like ford where they can start the car from it, all that are taken are with the keys, also I wouldn't be suprised that if you did anything like that it would void the insurance

Keri Stacey

Oct 26, 2018
Just an update for anybody that posted on here if you are interested. I'm never going to see the car again unless it appears at some point having been involved in numerous crimes. Had an update today from the police to say he'd spoken to the guy who has the eBay advert and he said it all sounded legit. He doesn't have the whole of the car even though he posted all parts available and the colour is grey, having said that the CID guy said he's going to look into it further and pay the guy a visit just to make sure. I did enquire with him shortly after the car had been stolen as to where the car left the district on the ANPR cameras. The car was last seen on any cameras on the Friday before it was taken in the early hours of Monday morning. It didn't go anywhere over the weekend which means that when it left my estate it was never to be seen again on any cameras so they've put on false plates or taken them off. I have got a settlement figure from my lease company which is surprisingly low to settle it so hopefully I'm not going to be out of pocket.

Just want to say thanks very much for all the messages and anybody who tried to help it's much appreciated

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks for the update. Surprised they followed up the eBay lead so at least that's something. Hopefully you can get another car sorted soon.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Just an update for anybody that posted on here if you are interested. I'm never going to see the car again unless it appears at some point having been involved in numerous crimes. Had an update today from the police to say he'd spoken to the guy who has the eBay advert and he said it all sounded legit. He doesn't have the whole of the car even though he posted all parts available and the colour is grey, having said that the CID guy said he's going to look into it further and pay the guy a visit just to make sure. I did enquire with him shortly after the car had been stolen as to where the car left the district on the ANPR cameras. The car was last seen on any cameras on the Friday before it was taken in the early hours of Monday morning. It didn't go anywhere over the weekend which means that when it left my estate it was never to be seen again on any cameras so they've put on false plates or taken them off. I have got a settlement figure from my lease company which is surprisingly low to settle it so hopefully I'm not going to be out of pocket.

Just want to say thanks very much for all the messages and anybody who tried to help it's much appreciated
Did you have gap insurance?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Depends how much deposit you put down, with my s4 I but 3k deposit down, and that is covered by my gap insurance for the 2 years I've got the car, and for the small amount gap costs (£140 for 2 years) for a 48k car I'd say its worth it

This is true, but most Leon lease deals include a very small first payment. Mine was about £700 so I have not deemed gap insurance necessary. I understand that if you'd just put £3k down as a first payment and it was stolen after a week that would sting a little.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
I guess the lease company will be able to replace fairly quickly with a similar car ? so not too bad. But if there was a long a delay for a new one its a bit trickier on a lease car as I believe you are still liable for half the remaining lease payments.

I've always taken out specific Personal Contract Hire Gap Insurance to cover all these liabilities, including the first payment (usually 3 or 6 months already paid when you get the car). Seems good value to me for a few £££ with such a "nickable" car.

https://www.ala.co.uk/gap-insurance/contract-hire-gap-insurance

Last edited:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Agreed, alot of people on here seem to care more about the car than themselves or there family, I've got a 68plate s4 which is a popular car to be nicked due to the value, I leave the keys by the front door, couldn't careless if they want to steal it, don't get me wrong I hope they don't but if they are gonna break in if rather them be in and out, it's insured and has gap insurance so its easily replaced
That's just dandy. Until insurance premium time.

Aps

Apr 29, 2019
I’m not sure if this has already been brought up but...

Audi’s, BMW’s have sims embedded into the cars and police can access them through a request direct to the companies. I’m not sure what other vehicles have this but Cupras don’t have this feature.
If your car gets stolen it’s always worth making sure the officer dealing looks into it and doesn’t overlook this as they may not know it exists.

Criminals will usually steal the vehicle and let it sit for a few hours to see if it has a tracker installed before sailing off into the sunset in your pride and joy.

Anything that will make their lives difficult makes you that little bit more secure. Police often give away free window and door alarms - your local psco could get hold of these for you!?. Patio door windows are also a favourite to gain access into your home so things like film that goes over the window to make it difficult to smash (probably don’t look amazing but do help) will make it slower for them to get in! Amazon!

Probably super paranoid but can’t stand the thought of someone breaking into my home for a set of keys!

Keri Stacey

Oct 26, 2018
I've had an email from my insurance company to say they are going to give me a settlement figure. I've rung them but the normal crew can't tell me what it is and I need to ring the total loss department. Have tried ringing these twice and after 20 mins there's no answer. It does say in my email that someone is going to ring me but they don't rush. My lease company have given me a settlement figure of 17.3k which to me is pretty low so does benefit me. If the insurance company come back with more they pay the finance and then give me the difference. As long at there's some money in it for me to use as a deposit for a new car then fine, if not it states in my insurance that a new car under 12 months old and only ever owned by me is entitled to a replacement. If that's the case then GAP surely isn't needed for the first 12 months. Will see what happens

Reactions: ray

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
If you get a new car etc, who pays off the lease company? Or does the lease company presume the car will become their property?

Keri Stacey

Oct 26, 2018
If you get a new car etc, who pays off the lease company? Or does the lease company presume the car will become their property?
I have no idea but I have been told it becomes their property and my payments etc just carry on

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.