What is a simple way of updating my 2018 Cupra R's sat nav New SD Card, sell the old one?

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I did once trawl all the pages of the SAT Nav thread and got lost.
Can I just get a new SD card or something better.
I was used to updating the TOM TOM Map and re newing my Online subs on the Renno Megane.
So looking for an easy way that is TECH stress free as that was.

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
If you dont have mapcare and want lifetime free navigation updates you need to buy an activation service for this feature. After that you may update your navigation on yourself and use any sd card as navigation sd card.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Anyone know how I can do this please. Is it local dealer or SEAT

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Not sure what @ysfdncr is on about, you can update the maps so long as its an MIB2 unit, however yours is a Cupra R with the High unit, so I'm not 100% sure how its done on that unit as the maps are not on a memory card.

@paddy6789 has updated the maps on his, so should know the steps to follow :)

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
Not sure what @ysfdncr is on about, you can update the maps so long as its an MIB2 unit, however yours is a Cupra R with the High unit, so I'm not 100% sure how its done on that unit as the maps are not on a memory card.

@paddy6789 has updated the maps on his, so should know the steps to follow :)
He says he was using navigation with SD card so it is not high system. It looks like MIB2 Std unit which runs navigation on sd card.

Sent from mobile

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
He says he was using navigation with SD card so it is not high system. It looks like MIB2 Std unit which runs navigation on sd card.

Sent from mobile
From memory he has 1 of 24 UK Cupra R's which are all Nav High.

But either way MIB unit can still be upgraded for free using the instructions on this site.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Hi Damo etc. Thanks for the update. Yes we had that discussion about a year ago. However still find the instructions a bit beyond me. Sorry.

Cheers Anyway
Andy

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi Damo etc. Thanks for the update. Yes we had that discussion about a year ago. However still find the instructions a bit beyond me. Sorry.

Cheers Anyway
Andy
My instructions were likely based on my unit to be honest. @paddy6789 says updating the high unit is simpler than what I have to do. EIther way it's still free.

I'll give him a Whatsapp poke to come and reply.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
On my 290, it was easy to update the maps as I had an SD card and Mib2. The process is very easy but does require a backup of the working card first!

Ive recently done the map update on my R (with NAV High) which was a case of downloading the files, extracting them onto an SD card and the updating through the car infotainment. However this is only possible for up to 2 or 3 years I believe and then after that, you’ll need mapcare enabled on your unit for this to work. There’s a few people who can enable it, but @Tell can offer a great explanation of how mapcare works.

Reactions: Walone

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
On my 290, it was easy to update the maps as I had an SD card and Mib2. The process is very easy but does require a backup of the working card first!

Ive recently done the map update on my R (with NAV High) which was a case of downloading the files, extracting them onto an SD card and the updating through the car infotainment. However this is only possible for up to 2 or 3 years I believe and then after that, you’ll need mapcare enabled on your unit for this to work. There’s a few people who can enable it, but @Tell can offer a great explanation of how mapcare works.
Yes you are right. I can enable lifetime free navigation updates for high and std unit.

Sent from mobile

Tell

Staff member

The great explanation is in the resource section here:

The MIB2 High is controlled by the navigation FeC see under "Mib2 High / Seat Plus Map Update".

It's that parameter which is the one used by mapcare. Simple really. Retrofitters adjust this parameter and it became apparent that after a few false attempts by a retrofitter and muttering at the screen. Putting this against Walone's FEC value, what I had with the car originally, the modded one and then it going out after the update period and Googling how it worked based on the Audi codes on a Russian link. Constructed the table in the link so any one with a Seat Mib2 high can decode the validity of when they can update the maps. The Seat Mapcare FeC navigation run in code is 073, the final XX is the control.

It works in quarters (the XX in Hex is the quarter period). The car knows the quarter from the satnav date and time. The fresh map has the quarter built into it. Go beyond the quarter and it won't update. Use the back end menu SWDL and it will hang validation until you restore a map that belongs with the valid quarter limit.

It then became apparent via the Leon 3 navigation thread that Seat had shipped Cupras in the Netherlands with Mapcare for life which is set at this:

073000EEDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_Lifetime_Mapcare

That cross tallied with a technical post I found on the net. That's the FEC you want. At some stage VAG group will stop releasing updates for Mib2 maps but they have said it will be at least 5 years from when they discontinue Mib2. Mib1 maps are still being released and that's 5 years ago.

Retro-fitters can be crafty so and so's sell you the latest firmware but set the navigation FeC low for repeat business. That became apparent. After going back to one place they gave me 7 years after the first year ran out. Didn't re-charge me for their "mistake". Messed Walone about thou. I do the personal touch of appearing :).

I would never mail a unit to anybody I didn't know or allow them access to it over the net.

My current plan is to get the latest and final firmware on the high and get the FEC set at that magic figure above 073000EE. Reckon next year Mib2 High firmware will cease development and that release is the one to get. It will be a trip to Yorkshire for me assuming the Covid vaccine is out by then. I'm on 1338 of the firmware. There is a 1447 out according to ODBEleven screen which gives you info on what they are seeing on other peoples units. We will see whether it tops out at that.

As for Mib3. it's a blank piece of paper. Need people to experiment. The crunch point on that is when their free one year map updates run out and what Seat wants to charge for connect services/

Good and bad retrofitters live in Yorkshire. The good ones live closer to the coast :unsure: or is it better the devil you know :eek:. Resolve that next year perhaps. There is a decent company that operates up there.

(the same FEC approach (but a different code) for the standard one but you might as well save money and do the workaround on that - the same technical post I found with the 073000EE gave the standard one which was being shipped in the Netherlands... just off limit codes)

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thank you all.
Yes as before still have the notes form Tell. Customer care do not know and have gone off on one!!

All my three local dealers are the same as before:-

1] V7 SD card is still the latest issued for all new cars as of today. [its dated 2018]
2] Yes we can do it we will order an SD card and it will cost £120 to£150 on our systems to do.
3] There are too many versions I have no idea I will e mail Customer care.

Now off for read up.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire

Try this guy. He's very active on the Leon groups on Facebook. He does tonnes of updates and retrofits.

Iirc map updates is something he offers pretty cheap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lozzy15

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
Thank you all.
Yes as before still have the notes form Tell. Customer care do not know and have gone off on one!!

1] V7 SD card is still the latest issued for all new cars as of today. [its dated 2018]
2] Yes we can do it we will order an SD card and it will cost £120 to£150 on our systems to do.

Now off for read up.
Just order this service and they will give you life time free navigation updates. You just need an SD card and pc to use that service. It costs around £150

Sent from mobile

Tell

Staff member
Thank you all.

Now off for read up.

You need a youngster ;).

The V7 card is the one with the bug where it showed the tow speed rather than the actual max speed. Assumed you were towing a trailer always. The data was duff on the card but the cards good thou to be updated.

That card I've just updated to VW V13 all Europe using the latest release all Europe file I've posted up or you can use the ones by region on the resource thread.

It's only if you use a Mac things can get tricky (in the link what to do if you have a MAC) or get carried away to reformat the card as NTFS rather than just delete the contents - if reformated used FAT32, the rest is just standard PC stuff. The so called workaround just uses one file from the SD card with the update and bobs your uncle.

(noted we have two conversations going on here one on the standard system and one on the high / plus)

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
Hey that looks really easy! Thanks

Was that using the resource link of how to do it yourself or splashing out. The main thing is to always take a copy of the card onto your PC before you delete it although the resource does tell you what to do if you miss that step out. Loads of people have fallen into that trap since they follow the Seat instuctions.

The workaround is now used widely across Europe. You see it mentioned on all Seat user boards. That was all thanks to Exciter / Stefan to give Seat cars parity with VW / Skoda where map updates are free for life, not time limited.

Last edited:

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
Was that using the resource link of how to do it yourself or splashing out. The main thing is to always take a copy of the card onto your PC before you delete it although the resource does tell you what to do if you miss that steps out. Loads of people have fallen into that trap.

The workaround is now used widely across Europe. You see it mentioned on all Seat boards.
The service I mentioned above does not require seat navigation sd card. You can remove your sd card and keep it or sell anyone else.

They unlock your navigation sd card cid lock. And you will be able to use any regular sd card as navigation card.

Just download latest navigation data from Seat website, copy to sd card and use it!

Sent from mobile

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Ahh I have a mate in his 20's with a Golf R he is into this stuff. [I am a silver haired owner]
You ID'd my model last time but now seems uncertain again. It was a MIB2 high it was believed.
But from previous its a std? But on my 2018 CUPRA R a high.

Its Device part No 5F0035020F
BUT :- 2 SD card slots in Glove box with a V7 SD card in slot 1

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Was that using the resource link of how to do it yourself or splashing out. The main thing is to always take a copy of the card onto your PC before you delete it although the resource does tell you what to do if you miss that steps out. Loads of people have fallen into that trap.

The workaround is now used widely across Europe. You see it mentioned on all Seat boards.
As an 80 yo I have just updated my Mib2 to 1520 following the work around - No problem at all.
Tell I finally resolved my svm error !!

• Love
Reactions: Tell
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.