Best bush setup for non-track use

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Oh for sure. Obviously I can't compare them to the OEM bushes, because those were shagged, but for the price, those bushes are amazing. Thank you - it's made such a difference...

I wish I hadn't tried to do the ARB though. Snapped drop link bolt means I'm stuck now.

424074cf6f9df553c6e379b499cdd082.jpg

For the sake of £34 for a new wishbone arm I'm just not going to bother drilling it out and tapping the thread. I'll just snug up the ARB bushes and put the new wishbone in.

Fingers crossed I won't snap the wishbone bolts taking the old one out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a welder? Or even a good chisel and a hammer cut a Notch out off the snapped bolt and hit with the chisel as you would be undoing it a bit off heat would help as well
If you have a welder you could weld a nut over the bolt and undo it

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Do you have a welder? Or even a good chisel and a hammer cut a Notch out off the snapped bolt and hit with the chisel as you would be undoing it a bit off heat would help as well
If you have a welder you could weld a nut over the bolt and undo it

I'm starting to feel like I should have a welder - there are a couple of jobs I really could have done with one, but I don't know enough about them to know whether the arc welders I can get from Screwfix and the like will be enough?

I've been stranded at my parents' place since Christmas and I should be in Brighton now, so anything that gets me home sooner...

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Itll drive ok with that rollbar link disconnected.

Im an MOT tester and i see busted drop links regular and the owners dont even know until i tell em.

Unless you corner like Lewis Hamilton you'll barely notice.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
A mig would be better

I'm looking into it now - a few second hand ones out there, and it would mean I could shorten and weld my mk4 wiper, as well as sort out this bolt. I'll probably end up building something random too...

Itll drive ok with that rollbar link disconnected.

Im an MOT tester and i see busted drop links regular and the owners dont even know until i tell em.

Unless you corner like Lewis Hamilton you'll barely notice.

Seriously? That's awesome news. Once I'm back in Brighton I can either try and get the bolt out myself, or take it to a garage and get them to do it. It's just been a nightmare trying to get things delivered when it's Christmas and New Year delaying everything.

I'm picking up some longer ARB bracket bolts tomorrow (what a ball ache that's been) and will at least have that secure.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yeh, definitely.
Wont pass a test like that but will get you home (out on a limb here) safely.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Was looking forward to my yearly pilgrimage to the marina for some sea fishing. I always pop down there over Christmas.
At least one of us will get to Brighton haha

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yeh, definitely.
Wont pass a test like that but will get you home (out on a limb here) safely.

That's fine - I'll take things super slow on the way back. It's all motorway anyway, so no hard cornering. MoT isn't due for a month yet, so plenty of time to get all the stuff done I need to do.

We've got friends who do sea fishing - I generally swap them a loaf of sourdough for some seabass or some skate. Something properly satisfying about gutting and descaling a fresh fish.

Reactions: Rich.T

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Wow they are cream crackered, mine didn’t look anywhere near as bad at that haha

Only now I'm trying to get them back in because the new ones just don't want to go in. There's a bulge on the driver's side of the ARB that isn't there on the passenger side that's making it a nightmare to get back in.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
The bolt for the bracket definitely threads in, so there are threads to speak of, but even with various pry tools trying to lever it into place, it just doesn't want to go.

Either I'm going to have to wrap some sandpaper around the ARB to try to get rid of some of the extra girth, or cut a sliver out of the bush to try to get it on just so I can drive the car home.

9fe77a1464f49c42c5728dcdbafdd9bc.jpg

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
That sure looks like build up of corrsion on there - In fact it almost looks like an old bush inner. Can you shift it if you tap it gently with a hammer and chisel ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
That sure looks like build up of corrsion on there - In fact it almost looks like an old bush inner. Can you shift it if you tap it gently with a hammer and chisel ?

I'm going to break out the chisel tomorrow - that or sandpaper. It's like taking the old bushes out let them expand a bit, which is what's making them harder to get back on now.

Like I said in the other thread, the nearside SuperPro one goes around the bar fine, but on the other side when it's around the bar, I can't even get the bracket to go over it.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
So, wishbones...

I've been watching a few videos on getting the wishbones out of the car, and while most of them show it being pretty easy to get the front bolt out, some are saying you hit the oil pan.

I'm guessing that's only an issue if it's an automatic, but thought it would be worth asking, as most of the solutions I'm coming across talk about either dropping the subframe or undoing the dogbone mount. The way I'm feeling right now, that's an ache of the ball variety, so would sooner know about it than have a horrible surprise.

The good news though is that nobody seems to be snapping the subframe bolt taking it out, so there's hope for me yet...

Reactions: Manic172

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
0335b23e15c1ff7383215edfa85abc2c.jpg

BMAC VAGs, you utter beauty.

Two hole saws and literally a few minutes later.
57207ecd9a4271fde52aba9812b8640a.jpg

Now I've got no fear of taking the actual arms out of the car. This bush was caked in salt and all kinds of crud - but it just came out with a little effort and a can of cider on standby.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
So last night I found out that this might be a sign my top mount bushes and bearings might need replacing.

I can't comment on any difference in the ride, given that it just generally feels 'shagged' but if anyone has any recommendations on replacements, they'd be gratefully received... From this thread alone, OEM seems to be the way, but if there's any particular brand I should look out for (or avoid), that'd be great.

IMG_7415.JPG

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I replaced mine a while ago.
Symptoms were lack rigidity on cornering.
I jacked mine up so wheels were hanging down.
Grabbed the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock and shook it.
Loads of play at top of legs.
ThaiW i think reccomended OE items. So thats what I fitted.
Glad i did. Im sure they will last another 15 years.
Car feels perfect.

Rich

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I replaced mine a while ago.
Symptoms were lack rigidity on cornering.
I jacked mine up so wheels were hanging down.
Grabbed the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock and shook it.
Loads of play at top of legs.
ThaiW i think reccomended OE items. So thats what I fitted.
Glad i did. Im sure they will last another 15 years.
Car feels perfect.

Rich

Awesome - thanks. They're the originals, with 160k on them, so they could do with a change and they're cheap enough. Did you just get the bushes or did you get other bits and pieces as well? I'm looking on parts sites and it's not altogether clear what I need...

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I bought complete strut top kits from TPS.
I think the oe ones are made from a stronger compound rubber as the cupras are a sportier car.
Id go oe if i were you.
You may buy some off Ebay etc or aftermarket that'll fit but you wouldn't be sure of the rubber quality/compound.

Think the kit is new bush, top bearing, nut n washer.

Was about £100 for the 2 kits if memory serves.

Last edited: