Software Update 1896

Filipp

Nov 16, 2020
BTW, can you share
TPI document so that I know which magical words to say for them to apply it?

In other words, unless I complain about specific faults it supposedly fixes, they will not perform the update.
+1 - is there any chance to also get pdf? :)

Tell

Staff member
Please be aware this is for vehicles with PR 8AR NOT 8AW

If the dealer says it's not applicable for your car, it probably isn't and you'll have to wait
Probably why some dealers get it wrong looking at the 16 page pdf. Miss a stage out 😨.

Was your upgrade applicable to your car and you decided not to wait for it to be called in or a marginal case of where it could be applied but wasn't called in. E.g.. business opportunity.

Probably why some dealers get it wrong looking at the 16 page pdf. Miss a stage out 😨.

Was your upgrade applicable to your car and you decided not to wait for it to be called in or a marginal case of where it could be applied but wasn't called in. E.g.. business opportunity.
Not applicable to my car (yet). Carried out updates manually & I'll run them "again" when they're available so it's recorded correctly

Only "issue" is that I can't submit a request for the missing predictive navigation data FEC until the TPI covers my car. This means my TSR says it's restricted (still works but from road signs only)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
My user settings and phone were still stored after my update.......does that mean it's not been done correctly!!?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Please be aware this is for vehicles with PR 8AR NOT 8AW

If the dealer says it's not applicable for your car, it probably isn't and you'll have to wait
FFS.... I was at the dealer today and they told me they don't see it for my car :(

I hope it is coming, cause I am really frustrated by the differences between 16xx and 18xx.

Do you know if it is planned for the 8AW? And where can you see if your car is 8AR or 8AW?

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
@East Yorkshire Retrofits this is my system info - is it the same as yours?

...and do you have any information if the systems that are STILL not covered by this TPI will get it later?

Screenshot_20220414-022709.jpg

Filipp

Nov 16, 2020
8AW is the code which stands for the Infotainment unit screen (size) or is it something completely different? I went exactly same way @Jaco2k - sorry, no TPI for your VIN. That is totaly insane…..

Tell

Staff member
I believe being a retrofitter with the tools and know-how East Yorkshire Retrofit commenced the / an activity themselves hence the screens but said in their post to me they would get it done properly when released or words to that effect so it appeared on the VAG log. post 44. Whether he unwound it not sure, missing predictive navigation FeC. Think that means navigation wasn't working... might upset your hybrid stuff on regeneration if it doesn't know where it is to fiddle with regeneration if it was a hybrid. Description sound like when I messed up my mib2 high with a forced map update beyond the navigation FeC. Well some of us did that in the early days of mib2 high. Camera works but not the maps although mine switched to kph.

All interesting stuff but not DIY activity for the average person. Probably the last thing Seat wants right now is people doing their own firmware updates given all the other issues going on.

I believe being a retrofitter with the tools and know-how East Yorkshire Retrofit commenced the / an activity themselves hence the screens but said in their post to me they would get it done properly when released or words to that effect so it appeared on the VAG log. post 44. Whether he unwound it not sure, missing predictive navigation FeC. Think that means navigation wasn't working... might upset your hybrid stuff on regeneration if it doesn't know where it is to fiddle with regeneration if it was a hybrid. Description sound like when I messed up my mib2 high with a forced map update beyond the navigation FeC. Well some of us did that in the early days of mib2 high. Camera works but not the maps although mine switched to kph.

All interesting stuff but not DIY activity for the average person. Probably the last thing Seat wants right now is people doing their own firmware updates given all the other issues going on.
I'll apply for the missing predictive navigation activation document once the TPI covers my VIN - I'll have to be patient until then

Certainly wouldn't recommend people doing this DIY and we won't be sharing the files to do so

Reactions: Tell

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Who are you replying to or what gives you the impression anyone here is trying to do it themselves?

At least I see a bunch of people wanting to know the TPI, for a couple of reasons:
1. Give the actual TPI number to the dealers when they deny something exists

2. Learn the magical words to say and request so you can get the TPI applied.

What exactly is your understanding of what is going on?

Tell

Staff member
Who are you replying to or what gives you the impression anyone here is trying to do it themselves?

At least I see a bunch of people wanting to know the TPI, for a couple of reasons:
1. Give the actual TPI number to the dealers when they deny something exists

2. Learn the magical words to say and request so you can get the TPI applied.

What exactly is your understanding of what is going on?
That's because East Yorkshire sell DIY Mib2 solutions so interesting to know how they did it. TPIs aren't something the customer should know about. They only know about them since they have VAG authorised software although Erwin publishes this stuff although I haven't looked myself specifically for TPIs. £7-50 an hour, registration details here:

Erwin itself is designed to support independent garages, you get the same level of technical information as a Seat dealer, so I understand. The actual updates fall out of the VAG systems which you buy. You can read all about them on Erwin.

There probably will be a day when mib3 DIY solutions come about one suspects but not yet one guesses. Mib2 solution divide into free supported by a user community or paid supported by retrofitters like East Yorkshire that are well capable and offer a reliable service... That's where a dealer doesn't have a bug recorded against firmware but the user wants an upgrade to it, not offered for free by a dealer. If a retrofitter offering upgrades to systems you need the full where with all of coding across all of the firmware units of the car.

The question is whether all 16xx software is deemed as faulty and is liable to a free upgrade. Those are the codes that East Yorkshire is quoting the ones that pass into the recall free group. Now whether and when the others come up. Those are the ones that East Yorkshire have said wait.

My understanding is their own vehicle is one of the 16xx ones but not on the list, so having the skill set, set about doing it. But didn't succeed, the story so far.

Not that I'm making a future mib3 market for them but obviously good will counts for a lot 😉. That's why they are highly skilled in doing the update and have access to the update and TPI.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Had my 1896 update yesterday. Infotainment feels a little more responsive but it’s not “mind blowing” as I’ve seen commented - there is still occasional lag between tapping the screen and something happening.

What has improved drastically is the voice assistants’ responsiveness (when you say “hola hola” followed by a command.) You can freely speak in continuous prose and it immediately wakes up and performs it, like using “hey Siri” on modern iPhones, if that’s relevant to anyone. I will likely, for the first time, find myself using voice commands for the climate controls because of this.

Other small things to note:
- Very minor UI changes (like slightly different menu outlines and “CLIMA” at the top of the screen for climate control - I can’t remember what was there before…)
- Climate SYNC is still not remembered between power cycles - daft
- speakers still pop when car loses GSM signal

That’s about it for now, time will tell how reliable it turns out to be…

Last edited:
Reactions: Big A

Naxterra

Apr 10, 2022
Heya, I hope this is not a noobish question but is there a way to update my car to latest firmware on my own or do I have to bring it to the service?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Heya, I hope this is not a noobish question but is there a way to update my car to latest firmware on my own or do I have to bring it to the service?
From what I've seen on here some minor updates can happen over the air but full infotainment updates need to be done at the dealers. It takes up to 3 hours apparently. Mines booked in for early May.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.