• Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
Thought I'd at change the thermostat while I wait for a tool to arrive. Since I've lost some coolant, I'm not going to miss any more that comes out when I take the old one out. Looks like doing it properly means taking the alternator out.

******* Leon life.

Thanks for the good wishes - I'm visualising the bolt coming out easily once I get the right tool on it.

Or else it gets the hacksaw.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It got the hacksaw in the end. You'd think the car would have learnt by now, but I do have to remind it who's in charge sometimes.

fad09cd84696bae77cfb6fd0c8021b41.jpg


Funny to think how much this kind of thing used to scare me - it all seemed a bit too advanced. Now I've got a (slightly off centre) freshly cut thread and a couple more broken drill bits.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So, help me work this one through...

aca9c350f6560649c0100b4ab969520a.jpg


This is my steering rack. I have a polybush for my steering rack. What's to stop me taking the nuts off (other than rust etc. but you get the idea) and putting the bush on this way?

I've heard so many people say it's a subframe out job, but if it's right there and I've got access because half the engineer is out...?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So, help me work this one through...

aca9c350f6560649c0100b4ab969520a.jpg


This is my steering rack. I have a polybush for my steering rack. What's to stop me taking the nuts off (other than rust etc. but you get the idea) and putting the bush on this way?

I've heard so many people say it's a subframe out job, but if it's right there and I've got access because half the engineer is out...?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the steering rack bush, and then gave it away with some parts i sold. The work to reward ratio wasnt worth it. I dont see it offering any handling benefits either...
 
  • Like
Reactions: iammooks
I bought the steering rack bush, and then gave it away with some parts i sold. The work to reward ratio wasnt worth it. I dont see it offering any handling benefits either...

Same - I've had that bush for at least five years now - but looking at those nuts, they're proper crusty and are giving me the fear.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
replaced all these parts of the cooling system today, had a leak for a while and couldnt find it, turns out it was the split (Y) pipe, it was actually coming through the plastic, no visible holes or cracks but seeping right through it, it is 23 years old so might be why. added a nice shiny new set of Creation Motorsports cast aluminium parts and some nice new coolant ready for the winter.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260924_144115.jpg
    IMG_20260924_144115.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 25
Some good news. My car is coming home on a tow truck on Monday, still fkd & a £1100 worse off, but Bill @ Badger 5 has kindly said they'll fix it, (which of course is where I should have gone in the first place!)
Unfortunately, everything is going to have to wait until sometime next year, as my car fund has been cleaned out, £2000 total spent on an un-driveable car is not easy to digest or recover from.
Still, I'm looking forward to actually seeing my car again, been gone since June & I can give myself some breathing space to think about other things for a bit.
Thanks Badger 5 for giving me light at the end of the tunnel 👍
 
replaced all these parts of the cooling system today, had a leak for a while and couldnt find it, turns out it was the split (Y) pipe, it was actually coming through the plastic, no visible holes or cracks but seeping right through it, it is 23 years old so might be why. added a nice shiny new set of Creation Motorsports cast aluminium parts and some nice new coolant ready for the winter.

Is that your thermostat housing the third one along? Did you have any issues getting it out? I need to change mine, but am trying to find a way that doesn't involve taking out the alternator. I know my diesel engine might be different from yours, but thought I'd ask...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I replaced the steering rack bushing on the driveway (on my LC180) and it cost me about 45-60 minutes I remember. I don't think there is a lot to be gained, but if that rubber has never been replaced, then it probably will be hard and crusty as well...

photo_download.gne

That's the one. Mine is the original, so it probably could do with being replaced. I'll spray the threads with penetrating lube all the same just in case I have a '**** it' moment.

You'd think I'd have learnt not to mess with things like that by now.

Is it just a matter of getting those nuts off, or is there more to it than that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Is that your thermostat housing the third one along? Did you have any issues getting it out? I need to change mine, but am trying to find a way that doesn't involve taking out the alternator. I know my diesel engine might be different from yours, but thought I'd ask...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it wasnt too bad, i only swore 248 times
yeah its a pain in the arse, top bolt is fine, bottom bolt i used a universal joint on a 10mm 1/4 socket and it was still a pain, amazingly though even though it took all my patience and will to get it out, it went in no problem at all, bloody thing. (this was without removing alternator)
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Dazzalcr
That's the one. Mine is the original, so it probably could do with being replaced. I'll spray the threads with penetrating lube all the same just in case I have a '**** it' moment.

You'd think I'd have learnt not to mess with things like that by now.

Is it just a matter of getting those nuts off, or is there more to it than that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I remember thats about it. The reason for me taking "long" is the weird angle and the tight space if I remember correctly.
 
Some good news. My car is coming home on a tow truck on Monday, still fkd & a £1100 worse off, but Bill @ Badger 5 has kindly said they'll fix it, (which of course is where I should have gone in the first place!)
Unfortunately, everything is going to have to wait until sometime next year, as my car fund has been cleaned out, £2000 total spent on an un-driveable car is not easy to digest or recover from.
Still, I'm looking forward to actually seeing my car again, been gone since June & I can give myself some breathing space to think about other things for a bit.
Thanks Badger 5 for giving me light at the end of the tunnel 👍
Nice one mate, can't wait to hear what he says what the problem was and if all that has been done was not needed be just ur luck that as it would be mine lol. Hope it's an easy fix and ur back on the road shortly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BadBoy03
Nice one mate, can't wait to hear what he says what the problem was and if all that has been done was not needed be just ur luck that as it would be mine lol. Hope it's an easy fix and ur back on the road shortly.
Thanks mate. Yeah, they said they'll fix him & now I'm keen to get him prepped. I'm really looking forward to having him back on Monday too, I've missed him for sure 🤟
 
That's the one. Mine is the original, so it probably could do with being replaced. I'll spray the threads with penetrating lube all the same just in case I have a '**** it' moment.

You'd think I'd have learnt not to mess with things like that by now.

Is it just a matter of getting those nuts off, or is there more to it than that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting the alternator off is pretty easy. It's even easier to put on if you wind back the mounts (bolt, nut, washers, and a deep socket, sort of like how the front suspension bushes can be done).

Can you do the thermostat without taking off the alternator? Yes. Is it an exercise in patience and accuracy that far exceeds the alternator off method? Arguably yes, but that's just me
 
  • Like
Reactions: iammooks
Some good news. My car is coming home on a tow truck on Monday, still fkd & a £1100 worse off, but Bill @ Badger 5 has kindly said they'll fix it, (which of course is where I should have gone in the first place!)
Unfortunately, everything is going to have to wait until sometime next year, as my car fund has been cleaned out, £2000 total spent on an un-driveable car is not easy to digest or recover from.
Still, I'm looking forward to actually seeing my car again, been gone since June & I can give myself some breathing space to think about other things for a bit.
Thanks Badger 5 for giving me light at the end of the tunnel 👍
good to here and will be interesting on outcome, next door has a jag v12 twin turbo and hardly uses it or even gives the thing a oil change but he had a oil leak for a while and and a couple of people around and they changed mafs,oil change, sensors ect it was a big bill but in the end still the same , then they got a ex jag mechanic that was self employed to have a look and it turned out tobe a common fault on the turbos as the oil seal breaks up so needed replacing, only one turbo oil seal fixed the whole problem
 
  • Like
Reactions: BadBoy03
good to here and will be interesting on outcome, next door has a jag v12 twin turbo and hardly uses it or even gives the thing a oil change but he had a oil leak for a while and and a couple of people around and they changed mafs,oil change, sensors ect it was a big bill but in the end still the same , then they got a ex jag mechanic that was self employed to have a look and it turned out tobe a common fault on the turbos as the oil seal breaks up so needed replacing, only one turbo oil seal fixed the whole problem
I can believe it mate, there is no methodical approach, just replace, replace & hope for the best.
I now have my car home & big thanks to the tow truck driver, he got him home effortlessly & efficiently, even said what a lovely car it was & he had one back in the day 👍. Unfortunately I am cheesed off with the garage, talk about disrespectful. The centre wheel cap was still on the passenger seat, this was like it in August & now it's missing it's front jack point cover & the rear hangs down, no longer clipping. I have complained, asking for it back or replaced, but I doubt Ill hear back. They film the cars on arrival for proof, so I made that clear it is their damage & I have a photo too.IMG_20260928_085037993.jpgIMG_20260928_085035459.jpgIMG-20260707-WA0001.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nam-uk and iammooks
I can believe it mate, there is no methodical approach, just replace, replace & hope for the best.
I now have my car home & big thanks to the tow truck driver, he got him home effortlessly & efficiently, even said what a lovely car it was & he had one back in the day 👍. Unfortunately I am cheesed off with the garage, talk about disrespectful. The centre wheel cap was still on the passenger seat, this was like it in August & now it's missing it's front jack point cover & the rear hangs down, no longer clipping. I have complained, asking for it back or replaced, but I doubt Ill hear back. They film the cars on arrival for proof, so I made that clear it is their damage & I have a photo too.View attachment 55436View attachment 55435View attachment 55437
And this is a so called decent garage..! I can't imagine a low level under the stairs mechanic... At least the car is back home and now you have to be patient until you get the funds to let Badger 5 do some magic. Not all is lost.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BadBoy03
And this is a so called decent garage..! I can't imagine a low level under the stairs mechanic... At least the car is back home and now you have to be patient until you get the funds to let Badger 5 do some magic. Not all is lost.
Thanks mate. I must admit I sat back in the driving seat & drove him about for a couple of mins & just hearing that dump valve & feeling it pull, made me realise it deserves to get back out on the open road.🤞
 
I can believe it mate, there is no methodical approach, just replace, replace & hope for the best.
I now have my car home & big thanks to the tow truck driver, he got him home effortlessly & efficiently, even said what a lovely car it was & he had one back in the day 👍. Unfortunately I am cheesed off with the garage, talk about disrespectful. The centre wheel cap was still on the passenger seat, this was like it in August & now it's missing it's front jack point cover & the rear hangs down, no longer clipping. I have complained, asking for it back or replaced, but I doubt Ill hear back. They film the cars on arrival for proof, so I made that clear it is their damage & I have a photo too.View attachment 55436View attachment 55435View attachment 55437
I also had this issue and there was tension on the sideskirt, due to the jacking point on the car being crushed over the years. By trimming the sideskirt, I was able to relieve the tension and the cover clipped in again no issue

Before:
photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne


After
photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne
 
  • Like
Reactions: BadBoy03
0559729252670672a2309eb3cc8e5a92.jpg


OK, well I'm part way there... Forgot how hard it was getting clamps and stuff back on polybushes, so I've got the clamp over it, but need to persuade it an inch over, so I can get the bolts in. I know there's not really a way of doing it - just lots of swearing and trying to get it done again and again and again until it works...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk