Robbie C's Ibiza Cupra

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
lol @ JBS, once again proving great customer service. At what point in any of their sales info on their manifold does it stipulate you have to have an unsilenced turbo or even have the choice of saying what turbo its being fitted to it.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Day 6

On a slightly more positive note, my HiSpec brakes finally arrived last week :)

They're a kit made up for a MK2 16V Golf (same hubs) using the R114-4 calipers

(http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/calipers/R114 300 Rad.htm) with 310 x 28mm two-piece discs, ali bells, braided hoses and Ferodo pads.

As a slim-line track caliper (similar to the Wilwood Superlites) they *should* fit under the standard Cupra alloys with around ~1mm to play with but if the worst comes to the worst I will run 2mm spacers. They are supposedly slimmer than the Superlites.

As track calipers they are only available in black but I like the idea of keeping them hidden ;) Like the Wilwoods they also don't have dust seals - purely because it is argued they will only melt after hard use anyway so it doesn't concern me too much.

Here they are:

P1000496.jpg

P1000497.jpg

P1000498.jpg

P1000499.jpg

P1000500.jpg

P1000501.jpg

P1000502.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
When going to fit these we soon realised this wasn't going to be 100% straight forward either :rolleyes:

Firstly, the hard brake lines that run from the ABS pump through to the brake lines have seized on the driver's side and wasn't much better on the nearside meaning I need to order some new ones from SEAT:

P1000506.jpg

P1000505.jpg

When fitting the calipers to the carrier brackets it soon also became clear that the M10 x 30 cap head bolts supplied are neither the right thickness or length to fit properly:

P1000507.jpg

P1000509.jpg

Comparing to the original bolts which look to be M12 x 40:

P1000510.jpg

P1000511.jpg

M10 washers are also an issue:

P1000512.jpg

Not the end of the world, just a minor annoyance. I could chase HiSpec for the correct replacements but for what it's going to cost me to get some replacements elsewhere I figure I may as well just buy some rather than waiting a week for it to be sorted their end.

Looking at the caliper to bracket bolts I'm hoping I can use some high-tensile steel bolts with some locking washers:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170328750103&_trkparms=tab=Watching

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
The caliper needs shimming slightly when I have the correct washers but here it is lined up with the rotor and bell fitted:

P1000513.jpg

P1000514.jpg

While I'm waiting on these correct fixings we then decided to make a start on my intercooler by moving the radiator back using some brackets supplied by Alex at Backdraft, as replicas of the ones supplied in the Pro Alloy kits:

P1000517.jpg

P1000515.jpg

P1000516.jpg

These were a complete c**t to fit but it has moved things back nicely allowing more space to work with behind the bumper when we come to line the intercooler up on the car.

More updates to follow as and when I hear anymore from TD/JBS and get the correct fixings for my brakes ready to finish these off.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
lol @ JBS, once again proving great customer service. At what point in any of their sales info on their manifold does it stipulate you have to have an unsilenced turbo or even have the choice of saying what turbo its being fitted to it.

Indeed Phil. I've also just spoken to Chris who also assures me he was never once told by JBS that this manifold is for a silenced unit only and there's no stipulation on the receipt.

The fact that Ian and Roly both ran silenced K03 units on these same manifolds speaks for itself in my eyes.

ian_cupra

The fact that Ian and Roly both ran silenced K03 units on these same manifolds speaks for itself in my eyes.

:yes: sorry to hear all this mate, offer is still open about what we spoke about yesterday. just to give it a go

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
I would like to point out that at no point did JBS mention to me that the manifold was for a unsilenced turbo, you never even knew i was running an AM04 so how would you know if the turbo was silenced or unsilenced, as you never bothered to ask!
This manifold is based on exactly the same prinicple and surprisingly states ko3/ko3s
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188466
And just to prove my point even more, the tubular manifold was tested on a MK3 Ibiza with a ko3s back in April 08 way before i even bought my manifold (July 08) I assume it fitted that cause you managed to test it perfectly well and were more than happy to publish your results
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168611&highlight=jbs+tubular+manifold

If you continue to make false claims about the information i was given i WILL be forced to take this further. I am quite a patient person but you are seriously pushing me now JBS i have had nothing but problems with you. Believe me i could publish more bad press about you but i won't sink as low as you!
Also both the sales options and the invoice never stated anything about the turbo having to be unsilenced, and before you say it did, Robbie has the original copy!

Maybe you should take a leaf out of your competitors books and actually show some customer service or is that too much trouble? As we are all aware of the numerous threads floating around about you!

I have spoken to Robbie about this and made him aware that i was never told anything about what you are saying. As i for one am anything but a liar. If you have a problem with me for whatever reason JBS then speak to ME don't throw around accusations that are completly made up
How about you find someone else to be your scape goat!

Anyways back to Robbies build up :D

Last edited:

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton

+1

+1

o yeah, brakes are looking rather nice :D

Agree with that, they are some seriously nice looking brakes :D

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
They seem to be washing their hands of anything to do with that tubular manifold. Anyway, back to topic as this is Robbies build thread and a cracking one at that as well. :D

Problems your gettin with the brakes are exactly the same as i had with my Wilwoods, cap head bolts on mine were too long and i couldnt get the hoses off easily, ended up ruining the OE ones using some grips to get them off.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
;) ...indeed mate

Cheers Phil :D Glad to know I'm not the only one - I managed to source the necessary bolts and washers off ebay this morning for sub £10 so it's not too bad. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of contacting HiSpec and having to wait for it to be sorted.

SEAT inform me that they can only supply rolls of 25 metres of brake line for the Cupras (part # 111 611 998) so I think I'll be going with some non-gen copper lines instead... :rolleyes:

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
OK so after ongoing discussions with Mike at JBS as well as the help of Ian an agreement has been reached which *should* appease the issue at hand.

Mike has agreed to swap my manifold for one of their new cast designs (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188466) once they become available - but this is looking at a minimum of 8 weeks and I'm not holding my breath on that either.

The option to run my standard manifold was dismissed as I would need to get the map tweaked once the new manifold was fitted, requiring more hassle and money out of my back pocket.

So.... after speaking to Ian he has kindly agreed to swap my manifold with his (which is already known to fit this turbo) so I can get on and get the car back on the road and mapped. Then, we can both still swap these manifolds in once the new cast ones are ready. Running the newer high temp studs along with locking k-nuts and Nordlock washers it *ought* to hold out on me at least for this amount of time (seems to be working for Caney) - just requires the hassle of fitting the manifold twice but in my eyes offers the best comprimise at this time and should allow me to press on once again.

Email thread between JBS and myself:
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:41 PM
To: Rob Clarke
Subject: Re: K03S Hybrid Spec - Order #: SOR003259

Hi Rob,

That is fine about Ian's - I know Ian very well and this willl be fine on our side.

Once the new design is out there should be no/little mapping needed.

Let me know what TD come back with on price wise.

Sorry this is not quite working how it wanted to but I would like to get you sorted asap!

Regards

Mike O'Brien
Service Manager

----- Original Message -----
To: JBS Auto Designs
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:31 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your swift reply, it is appreciated. Speaking to Ian about this (blue MK3 JBS04) I have a proposal...

If I was to swap my manifold with Ian's (also not fitted to the car at the moment while he waits on the new cast design) and fit this so as to allow me to get the car back on the road and mapped, can I trade this as a direct swap for the new cast manifolds as and when they are available? This way, I don't have to wait indefinitely while unforeseen circumstances may further delay it's release.

I imagine that my map would then only need tweaking very slightly once the cast design was swapped in, whereas if I fit the standard manifold I imagine the map would need some major tweaks so this seems to make more sense to me and allows me to get the most out of the car in the mean time.

Turbo Dynamics have informed me they can supply the compressor cover from an MD486 which is meant to be the JBS04 housing? I am still waiting on a price at this time so as to weigh up all my options.

Many thanks,

Rob

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:54 PM
To: Rob Clarke

Hi Rob,

Ok lets work together to try and get this resolved - I know the early ones only fitted the non silenced turbos where as the later design then fitted.

The only problem that I have here is that I have got nothing to give you in exchange. I would be happy to replace this with the new version of the manifold but these are yet to be a fair few weeks.

Would it be possible that the stock manifold gets fitted in the mean time?

Did you get word back from TD about the removal of the silencer?

Regards

Mike O'Brien
Service Manager

----- Original Message -----
To: JBS Auto Designs
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:33 PM

Hi Mike,

Having spoken to Chris he is adamant that he was never told that this was not suitable for an un-silenced K03S and at no time has anyone ever suggested that this should be an issue - including Leigh who could not understand from the pictures why this should not fit.

If this was the case why have Ian and Ben from SCN both ran silenced K03S units (one of which is a JBS04) without any issues at all? Also, why was this never mentioned when speaking to Matt at Turbo Dynamics when the unit was first sent back to him? There is also no stipulation on the receipt, which I have retained the original copy of.

To be honest this doesn't convince me at all, or anyone else on the forum for that matter: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217772&page=6

As per http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168611 the manifold is clearly advertised for the K03 and K03S with absolutely no mention of any limitations for a silenced unit whatsoever. It is interesting to note that these results were also published before Mr Curzon even purchased his manifold in July 2008.

Your continued cooperation with this matter would be appreciated I am interested to hear your response.

Many thanks,

Rob

Turbo Dynamics have posted my turbo and manifold back to me this afternoon so I should have these back tomorrow, ready to swap for the weekend so I can get back on it next week :) Let's hope that's the last major stalling issue in this project as it has to be said I'm rapidly falling out of love with this car at the moment.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Day 7

Well, not really any progress to report tonight but a few things worth mentioning...

I picked up my (now correct) BAM fuel pump from SEAT yesterday and went to fit it tonight but seem to have run into some minor issues here too. When lining the new pump up with the arrow on the left-hand-side of the tank it just doesn't want to sit in there properly and we can't get the sealing ring to screw on.

If we compare this to the OE Ibiza pump you can notice that the top of the pump is sat at an angle which aids the standard one in - but when we line the BAM pump up to the arrow on the tank it doesn't sit at the same angle at all, making it seemingly impossible to attach the sealing ring:

AYP (3 bar) pump vs new BAM (4 bar) pump:
P1000525.jpg

BAM pump:
P1000524.jpg

P1000523.jpg

With the arrows on the pump and tank lined up:
P1000533.jpg

Here's how it sits when lined-up:
P1000534.jpg

As the level sender is aligned differently to the OE pump then this means it lines up differently on the tank. Is there anything I'm missing here as this just doesn't want to play ball at the moment?

Moving back onto the brakes I ordered the correct shim washers and caliper bracket bolts as the supplied hardware kit was too small but it turns out the thread pitch of the M10 caliper bolts is too large so I need to measure the standard bolts and get this sorted too.

With regards to the hard brakes lines that run from the ABS pump to the OE rubber lines - can anyone confirm what diameter I need to order here please? Also, is it possible to re-use the unions where the pipes attach to the pump or do I need to order some of these too?

While I'm waiting on answers for this little lot we're going to make a start on the intercooler tomorrow so watch this space for more updates soon.

ian_cupra

when does work start on putting it all together then mate now you have the manifold ;)

just remember, it will be worth it :lol: o and i must remind you i was on stock manifold :roflmao:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Any updates mate? Seems to have gone abit quiet?

I was going to text you but thought i`d just bump the thread instead :D

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Hey all,

Sorry it's all gone a bit quiet lately - been a bit pre-occupied recently!

We started back on the car properly tonight so I'll post a full update up with pics shortly :D

Cheers again Ian for your help on that Sunday - massively impressed with your car and it's given me the motivation I need to stay focussed and get mine finished now :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.