Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I'd say you'd ideally need 5-6" joiner

This is 5" with the Apexi
66630718.jpg

I think its the same kind of TIP set up as the TDI?

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Yeah, but Maz is getting some work in that area so, placement of MAF and filter could be sorted that end, I think maz is trying only to join the MAF to the filter with as little as possible, big lengths of silicon have caused problems on his TDI on the boost he is running.. but i'll let him explain, or say the length he's looking for.. i may be wrong?

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
If it's a BMC CDA then ditch it ASAP, these are known to be very restrictive

Is it really restrictive mate? I have one and was always told to stay away from open cone due to Heatsoak but after seeing the ITGs in ZBoyd's Cupra I am not so sure.
Will dervs have good results with these too?
Alex
p.s. sorry for the threadjack maz.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
General Update
-----

VF Drop Links don't seem to be coming in time for Friday's service, mot + other bits. Just hope the bit if 76mm silicone hose I ordered comes on time now so i can get this new intake on.

Today I also scrape the splitter, which miffed me off quite badly but I took a trip to the stealers. Got myself a spare splitter (I now have two spares! lol) and also got myself one of these:

HPIM0001.jpg

People who i spoke to about it know what i am talking about ;) Really cant wait for it!

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Bigger washer fluid bottle ? :D I know what that means :)

Lovely car Maz and really spinecrushing torque.

PS. Was smokescreen included as standard? ;)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Apexi Air Intake & SuperPro Bush + the rest
-----

Friday the car was at AmD Essex for cambelt, metal waterpump and full service. Also during the server I took the opportunity to put on some upgrades. I have heard a lot about these new Super Pro Bushes. From what I have been told by basically everyone at AmD is they are a very good company, very organised and listen to all feedback. They use a slightly difference grade of poly for their bushes and they fit much better than other brands they have used.

SuperPro Dogbone Mount Kit
On that information I decided to opt for SuperPro Dogbone Mount kit. I noted that the kit actually came with an additional bush that goes on the end of the mount. Also the shape of the bushes matched the OE style perfectly, my existing powerflex ones did not.

They come in 3 variants. Petrol, Diesel and Race. Each are a different grade of poly with the Diesel one being specifically made to get the performance of the strong poly bush but without the vibrations associated with rival brands.

SuperProDogbone.jpg

SuperProDogbone3.jpg

SuperProDogbone2.jpg

Results
They are really really good!! I noticed instantly that the constant vibration/buzz on idle had died down a lot, it just felt like a different car. When driving it was a joy as the harshness of the engine just wasn't there no more. I was also pleased that performance of the mounts was still the same. All in all these are a dream come true for us Diesel owners. Not sure what the petrol variant is like but I am sure they will be just as good.

SuperPro Steering Rack Bush
I heard that the steering rack bush makes steering a more reactive. Comparing the OEM bush and the SuperPro one the SuperPro one was a lot more solid.

SuperProStrRack.jpg

Results
The steering a tad lighter. When i took the car for some spirited driving I didn't really notice much difference between the standard one. I only really noticed it when driving slowly just felt a tad lighter and easier to turn where you wanted.

Apexi Power Intake

Apexi Power Intake went on no problems thanks to all the info Adam gave me earlier. AmD did have to give me a mount as the one I got from B&Q as crap.

Apexi.jpg

Results
Well you can certainly hear it sucking in air when the car is idling which is reassuring that it is working. As I had a new MAF installed at the same time I cannot tell whether I have gained any horses or not. When i drove it today with Slick in passenger seat (first day of adaptation) we both noted that the delivery of the power is much much much smoother than it has ever been before. This is either the intake or the MAF but further up the rev range it seems to hold the power a little more consistently.

The sound of the intake is just awesome. People certainly know I am coming down the road with the loud whistle of the turbo and the induction noise that follows. The downside is that all my turbo flutter and air going back up the tip on gear change has gone/cant be heard. This isn't really a negative as but hey it was nice when i had it. Overall I am glad I haven't lost any performance and that its running very well.

Service, Cambelt and MOT
AmD Luke noticed that the top mounts had some play in them. I was shocked as they were replaced 6 months ago when the KW V3s were installed. After a constuctive conversation with Shaun we both agreed that an uprated solution would be best considering all the modifications I have done in the past.

034 Motorsport TRACKDENSITY Strut Top Mounts have been ordered.

TRACKDENSITY Mounts are also solid rubber mounts, but with an 80 durometer approx 90% stiffer than stock, these are solid for all practical purposes and result in very good upper strut location with little slop or movement. Perfect for aggressive street use or track/rally use.

Car is booked in next week to get these installed. Hopefully my VF Drop Links will arrive too!

Service and cambelt went very smoothly, has made the engine run a tad quieter. I got an opportunity to look underneath the car at the H&S pipework. Pretty please with their work :)

HSictoturbo1.jpg

HSictoturbo2.jpg

HSictoturbo3.jpg

AmD Luke said this was the most highly maintain diesel he ever worked on which made my day. Big thanks to everyone at AmD as usual for top quality work. Got to see the BTCC car being built throughout the day, amazing bit of kit.

Last edited:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Still makes me chuckle.

You won't log any appreciable difference on a dyno because the fans they use are incoable of replicating real air movement at 80+ mph.

You won't log any meaningful data on the road because too many variations occur.

What you can say is that a bigger filter will allow more air to be sucked in but at the speeds you can get to, even illegally, ram effect isn't going to take place.

Therefore, he who has the biggest free flowing filter will do best.

I'd like to see someone who knows about fluid dynamics do some maths on just how much air you can flow down a 76mm MAF housing :)

If you can only flow so much air through the maf then trying to supply extra is pointless, unless it sounds better which is the real reason for doing it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members