RobDon

Pro Detailer
It's not a baffle plate Willie, it's a windage tray and does nothing to stop oil starvation. A baffled sump is a MUST if you're going on track (especially a track like KH which is very windy and undulating with lots of braking) or you'll blow your engine.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
The LCR has a baffle plate in the sump as part of the OEM set up, this will have to do for now.

the windage tray does'nt work as a baffle and wont help the oil movement I mentioned.
keep an eye on your breather system or catch tank when on track..

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
the windage tray does'nt work as a baffle and wont help the oil movement I mentioned.

interesting you should say that Bill; next to nothing in my catch can over ~500miles of normal driving; 4 dry laps round the 'ring and it is half full, quite watery however, not pure oil (condensation I guess).

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Fair enough - but I can't think of anything more important than the engine itself! :D
Yup as I said, fingers crossed.

I have a new catch can system I'm fitting just now.

interesting you should say that Bill; next to nothing in my catch can over ~500miles of normal driving; 4 dry laps round the 'ring and it is half full, quite watery however, not pure oil (condensation I guess).
I've always had alot of oil in my intercooler hoses.
Catch can level watching will be done closely on the track.

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well plastic windows are here.

Front ones 1.6 Kgs each, OEM 3 Kgs

Rear ones 1.3 Kgs each, OEM ???

Rear windscreen 3 Kgs, OEM ??

No bolt holes drilled in them for fitting them so feck knows how I'm supposed to fit them:think::shrug:

EmDee

Omnishambolic
looks like they'll be half the weight of OEM then which would save you about 9 kilos-ish (strage i thought it would be more)

then the rivets to hold them in should weigh about 8.5 ;)

the good thing is it's coming off the top of the car

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
looks like they'll be half the weight of OEM then which would save you about 9 kilos-ish (strage i thought it would be more)

then the rivets to hold them in should weigh about 8.5 ;)

the good thing is it's coming off the top of the car

The fronts are about half and same with the rears but I think i'll save big on the rear windscreen.

also you will be getting rid of the motors and fixing brackets so will probebly end up being an even bigger saving
Yup, motors, panels, switches which are all about 4 Kgs

you need to invest in four large US-grade bathroom scales willie
Yup, corner weighting on the cheap

Same as the glass windows don't have holes in either I guess?
yup but had hope to remove this, suppose I can butcher the frames.

All in all i hope to save:
- Front OEM windows 6 Kgs, frame switches etc 8 Kgs, door cards 3 kgs = 17 Kgs + 3.2 Kgs for new windows and say 2 Kgs for the fixings = 12 Kgs front

- Rear windows 5 Kgs, frame, switches etc 8 Kgs, door cards 3 Kgs = 16 Kgs + 3.2 Kgs for new windows and say 2 kgs for the fixings = 11 Kgs

- Rear windscreen 10 Kgs (est), inner plastics 1 Kg, Wiper motor and blade assy 2 Kgs = 13 Kgs + 3 Kgs for new window = 10 Kgs

So hopefully a grand saving of 33 Kgs of high up weight :)

This will be replaced by a cage at some point which will add about 55 Kgs, but for now there will be a significant saving

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
That sounds awesome, I like the idea of the rollcage and 20kg will not be much compared to the improved handling you'll have.

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
but the cage will add alot of chassis rigidity so you will still be better off
Yup nd after having the coil overs on and getting a remap, this is the most anticipated mod.
It's for sure the one i'm most excited about, well that and proper bucket seats.

That sounds awesome, I like the idea of the rollcage and 20kg will not be much compared the improved handling you'll have.

Yup, the way the caged cars take the chicane at Knockhill is amazing, can't wait for this one, shame its a long way off.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
News getting better :)

Got call from Vince at Stealth today, the gear box is ready to pick up, WOO HOO.
So called the shipper I used, to go in and pick this up tomorrow.
This should be back with me on Monday and in ASAP.

I had bought a 27,000 mile Golf GTI Anniversary GB, when it was cracked open it was confirmed that it could have easily been a a genuine mileage. On closer inspection Vince was a little concerned about a cog and a bearing, these were changed for OEM new ones.
Also the problematic selector fork rivet was removed and bolt and nutted, cheers Bill for this one.

This whole recondition has cost me including the GB (£220) £650. When I was looking for a GB before there were ones going for £750 but TBH I wouldn't buy reconditioned GB as how can you tell its actually been reconditioned??
This way I know its been done correctly and by the best.

So initially I had planned on silicon sealing in the windows and removing the OEM door seals.
After posting a question on a local track based forum I was pointed to a Civic forum with details on how they have fitted theres with the OEM seals. This made sense for just now but might change this at a later date.

http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1868

So no point in removing all this weight just to add weight by buying heavy fittings.
So the brackets (shelving brackets from B&Q) weigh nothing and the threaded rod is 5mm, so all in all if this goes well the fittings will be WELL under my 1 Kgs initial thoughts.
I had wanted to butcher my OEM glass supports but no point if I can fit them this way.

Window still with protective covers

DSCF2056.jpg

B&Q bracket (65p each)with modified one
I plan to glue in rubber strips to this to make them more snug on the window

DSCF2057.jpg

Suggested fixings

4 x 1m of 5mm threaded rod £1.98
6 x 5mm penny washers £0.25
10 x 5mm nuts £0.25
6 x 5mm nyloc nut £0.25

This will allow 2 x fixings for each window, dunno if I'll need this or not but best to have more than needed

DSCF2059.jpg

DSCF2058.jpg

Close up of modified bracket from above

DSCF2062.jpg

So track day looming and now have increased my holidays to help me get everything ready on time.
I'll do the most critical things first then move onto the other pieces that would be nice to have done.

My MOT is due at the end of the month, I've been getting pushed into getting a 3" DP for ages. TBH I had oly ever considered the Piper one but at almost twice the price of other for a track cars its just not worth the extra cost.
So with Awesome doing good deals on Blueflame stuff I'm planning on fitting a 3" De catted DP to replace my OEM set up and mate this to my 2.75" Powerflow CAT back.
This will be loud as but there are little restrictions at KH.
If need be I can get a muffler in the CAT back section for much cheapness.

As for the remap, this will be done soon but unfortunitly not before the track day but it will be done with the new DP on so will be a true Stage 2 set up.

More pictures will follow as things are done