Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
cant wait to see this all done mate, it should be an absolute animal!!!, if you need a hand with anything in the next week just give me a call and i will help if i can.
Cheers Owen, much appreciated.

Really looking forward to the 56th of May now! Hybrid MIGHT be on ;)
With the hybrid on and me mapped its a recipie for a good nights fun

Just spent a while reading all this - sorry I'd missed it now

Great work Willie, can't wait for the next installment!
Cheers min, its alot slower than I had hoped to be doing it but life, work and family have to take priority.
Canna wait to get the main bits done and see what difference it all makes

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Gear box should be in aberdeen tomorrow lunch time :):):)

Just got window bits packed up and away up to folks to hopefully get the car back on the road today too.

fingers crossed

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
PCV gone, catch can on all good.

BMC CDA ad Forge Eliminator gone, Green Cotton dual cone and 007P on, wwwooooossshhhh....TTTSSSSSTTTTT!!!!!!

Drivers side Lexan window fitted with slider, proper track car now :)

Pictures to follow

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
PCV gone, catch can on all good.

BMC CDA ad Forge Eliminator gone, Green Cotton dual cone and 007P on, wwwooooossshhhh....TTTSSSSSTTTTT!!!!!!

Drivers side Lexan window fitted with slider, proper track car now :)

Pictures to follow

Running a road pipe or back to TIP on the catch can Willie?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Running a road pipe or back to TIP on the catch can Willie?
Back to the TIP Danny.
I've managed to keep my engine fresh up till now with the OEM set up, don't want to rock the boat now.
Aware of RobDon's problems that could have been dowwn to unsuitble catch can system
Fitted one of your elbows too, will fit the other one this weekend

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Back to the TIP Danny.
I've managed to keep my engine fresh up till now with the OEM set up, don't want to rock the boat now.
Aware of RobDon's problems that could have been dowwn to unsuitble catch can system
Fitted one of your elbows too, will fit the other one this weekend

Could you remind me of the details of Robdon's problem please Willie? I have just switched to run a road pipe..this a bad idea?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Could you remind me of the details of Robdon's problem please Willie? I have just switched to run a road pipe..this a bad idea?
Rob had a very expensive catch can fitted and as far as I remember this was vented to atmosphere. His can had lots of baffles in it.

Soon after fitting this he had piston seal issues that could have only been this as his cars only done 40,000 miles ish.

Stick with the OEM set up to be sure

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
D day part one

Finally the snow has lifted and weater was due to be good.

Track day looming so really need to get these things sorted out to allow time for other modifications.

How the car was:

P1060255.jpg

The plan for this day was to rip out the PCV system and fit my INA catch can system.
I initially bought a system with a vent to atmospere but due to the fact that I've had zero issues with my car so far (102,000 miles), and RobDon seemed to have catch can issues with his set up, I decided to set it up as OEM as possile.

OEM PCV with intake manifold removed:

P1060302.jpg

This creates a vacuum from the TIP and the intake manifold to give you this vacuum to suck out any gases/oil mists from the crank case and valve cover. This also supplies a vacuum to the brake master cylinder to aid braking.

P1060262.jpg

I've had some oil on the outside of these hoses for a bit. On looking closely at this there was no sign of tears or any particular leaks, no matter it was getting ripped out anyway.

To be continued........

The other plan of the day was to investigate a better induction run as a track set up.

My initial plan was to remove the passengers side head light and buy a spare which I would knock the guts out of and have a cone/feed fitted to it. This should give as direct a feed as possible for the track BUT unforutnately not road legal.

OEM feeds:

P1060271.jpg

P1060270.jpg

P1060276.jpg

As you can see the OEM supply from the front is very restricted and conviluted, round the back of the head light, down the sde of the battery then bend into the MAF.

Bumper removed:

P1060289.jpg

After removing the head light:

P1060295.jpg

You can see in this picture that there is a piece of plastic that the OEM feed was mounted to. I've spend quite a bit of time trying to remove/cut/break this with the light in, but its proved impossible.
On looking at this more closely with the light removed, its well connected, lol.
Its actually riveted to the mounting point of the light, and actually below it.
With the light out this was removed, but it wasn't easy.

With the light out I scouted about this area seeing what else could be removed while in there. There is some plastic that needs to be left in there to help funnel the air into the radiator and FMIC.

I had previously bought a Green cotton dual cone, 80mm joiner and 80mm 45 degree bend, through Green but from Bill (Badger 5), cheers Bill.
As above with a funneled head light I wanted the cone as close to the funnel as possible and give myself a nice sweeping feed to the MAF.

P1060299.jpg

P1060301.jpg

Thanks to Chris GTL for the head light.

So this is how the car stands just now.

Lots still to do but progress at least.

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Looking good Willie.

I managed to fix my windows in by putting a bolt through inner door skin so the window rest on the bolt(bolt has a rubber cover to stop vibration) So far so go, no movement what so ever.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Re: LCR light weight edition, D day part 1

Looking good Willie.

I managed to fix my windows in by putting a bolt through inner door skin so the window rest on the bolt(bolt has a rubber cover to stop vibration) So far so go, no movement what so ever.
Sounds good.

The way I've done it its pushing/pulling the window into the upper door seals and outer side door seals.
This is all good for stopping rain/water but the slider is slightly offset from the window so theres a passage of air or water possible the whole time.
I'm not too happy with this but cannot do anything about it as its the way these are designed.

Do you have the full set?

I need the rear window removing and canna be arsed doing it myself so will get a window guy to remove the old one and I'll fit the new Lexan one with silicone sealant.

Got the car serviced today.
This oil has been in for 10,000 miles, has done 3 track days/sessions and one 1/4 mile day.

The last time I did an oil change this was sent to Millers to get the oil analysed.
The results came back very positive and actually the oil was cleaner when it came out of my engine than it was when it was bottled in the Millers factory, lol. this was after ,six thousand road miles with my usual style of driving being adopted :drive1:

I've taken a sample of the oil again this time and we'll see how it turns out.
This time the consensus is the oil will be totally fecked.

I had been advised to buy another oil this time but due to me having Millers XF Long life here and wanting to fit an oil cooler and thermostatic sandwich plate I will used this uprated oil then.
I will also be de catted by then so will use specifically formulated race oil :)

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire

Do you have the full set?

I need the rear window removing and canna be arsed doing it myself so will get a window guy to remove the old one and I'll fit the new Lexan one with silicone sealant.

No i haven't ordered them yet, it's the glass i've wedged in.

Stick a sheet over the boot to stop all the bits going in then smack the hoor with a hammer!:D

Al

Aug 29, 2005

RAF Ned Racer boy knows all the tricks ;)

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge

Looking good Wille.

Have you ever considered looking at Racelogics launch control and traction control unit.

I happened to come across a video lip for 034motorport's race car an audi a4 that uses both launch control and traction control. Not sure if its a Racelogic unit they are using but I'm interested in finding out if its possible to have at least the Racelogic traction control fitted on our Leons.

Just finished fitting an SEM Manifold and had an awesome run today car pulled noticabley better than before so now have an RMR manifold to flog of.....

Looking forward to seeing your car development keep up the good work.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.