Retrofit cruise control

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
It seems like getting cruise control is a bit like buses in that you go for ages without anybody being able to do it and then a load happen in one day... As stated previously in the numerous other threads, it is possibly, but finding someone to do it at a reasonable price was the hard part.

So today after an early morning drive up to Northamptonshire, lots of bits of trim being removed, a bit of headscratching and some tea and Jaffa Cakes later I now have cruise control fitted to my Cupra TDI courtesy of our very own VW Master Technician... techie. It was well tested on the way home through the various specs camera zones and well worth the time and effort from him. The best thing is rather than being a random nameless face that just comes out to do it, he's one of our own and takes huge amount of pride in his work. Now lets hope it saves me a few pounds on my monster roadtrip. :)

Thanks for everything and sorry for bugging you for ages until you did it. :cheers:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Yep got there in the end, not to difficult as its fairly similar to the Fabia which i've been doing for years.

I can offer cruise fitting on the TDis now.

email me on

[email protected]

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Not really Mk4 specific. Only going to clog up the forum.....

:bleh:

Only messin. ;)

I've heard cruise control uses slightly more fuel. Have you noticed any difference?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I've heard cruise control uses slightly more fuel. Have you noticed any difference?

I seemed to get better economy with it than without as I just set a speed and left it rather than speeding up... slowing down... speeding up... slowing down... Time will tell though as the journey home may not have been a true indication.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
not in my experience in all sorts of cars... we have a PDsomething golf at work, and that easily gets 60+mpg on a run on cruise, and 52mpg tops on teh throttle... that's over a variety of driving - but I have a feeling we'll be geeky with our mpg goals next week in Ken's red wagon of economy

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Ibiza 130 tdi;I've heard cruise control uses slightly more fuel. Have you noticed any difference?[/QUOTE said:
Don't know where you hear that and I can't think of any reason for it to use more fuel

I have cruise on both of my cars and they both do better MPG with the cruise than without it

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I'd be asking for £175 fitted.

DSC00967.jpg

All genuine parts used.

Last edited:

bogdancristiann

Jan 22, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
Hello guys, can anyone give me the product code for the parts needed to install cruise control in my car?
I own a 2006 left hand drive 1.4 petrol 16v 75 hp.

Last edited:

Nick_J

Dec 18, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I find using cruise control reduces my mpg, set it at normal cruising speeds on the Motorway and due to cruise cutting the accelerator when going down hill (and not using momentum to speed up) and increasing accel up hills, rather than slowing 5mph along with the normal traffic. This is the reason for the reduced economy at normal cruising speeds.

I think it reduces my economy by about 2-4mpg on a 320 mile run, have experienced this a few times now.

I think youll find when you use cruise you tend to set it abit slower than your "normal" cruising speed, therefore obviously it will save you money.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I find using cruise control reduces my mpg, set it at normal cruising speeds on the Motorway and due to cruise cutting the accelerator when going down hill (and not using momentum to speed up) and increasing accel up hills, rather than slowing 5mph along with the normal traffic. This is the reason for the reduced economy at normal cruising speeds.

I found the same; I could always get better economy from my Ibiza by manual control than on cruise.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members