Removing Secondary Air Pump + Carbon Cannister??

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Anyone ever removed their secondary air pump, and/or carbon canister? If so did you get any problems? I've been thinking about removing mine and writing them out in VAG Com but thought i'd check to see if anyone else has done it before I jump in and experiment!!

Anything else that can be removed from the engine bay that isnt really needed? The car is at the moment a daily driver, however come winter it'll become a car just driven when I want to drive it so some practicle stuff and un-needed stuff like aircon may be removed.

Jonzy

Ive disconnected the n112 solenoid switch for the sec air system. The pump still runs, and vagcom will report a incorrect flow.

The n112 is still plugged in in the same way as the n249 bypass.

I only have 2 vac lines from the manifold now, one going to the reg and one going to the dv. Very clean very simple :)

Ive not removed the pump but would love to ditch it, its only really a requirement for US smog laws iirc. I love to remove it though ;)

May 2, 2006
Ive disconnected the n112 solenoid switch for the sec air system. The pump still runs, and vagcom will report a incorrect flow.

The n112 is still plugged in in the same way as the n249 bypass.

I only have 2 vac lines from the manifold now, one going to the reg and one going to the dv. Very clean very simple :)

Ive not removed the pump but would love to ditch it, its only really a requirement for US smog laws iirc. I love to remove it though ;)

you havnt got a pic of this setup have you by any chance?

iv got my n249 mechanicall bypassed but still electrically plugged in, i want to remove it all and clean up the top of the engine, just dont know about all the electrical resister stuff you have to do to fool the ecu (that bits way over my head, im far from a electrition)

Jonzy

I just left the actaully solenoids plugged in to fool the ecu. Just extended the wiring and hid them from the top of the engine.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
mines removed, inc pump.
other solenoids plugged in as safe way of keeping ecu happy. (resistors when done wrong will burn out things close to them as I have seen)

My carbon cannister is now replaced by a neat Forge Motorsport Oil Breather Catch Tank come drain.

:D

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Bill, what did you do regarding the carbon cannister electrical connection? Leave it connected or just disconect it? Reason for wanting it removed is similar to yours.

Also did you just disctonnect the sec. pump too but leave the solenoids there??

Not doing this for looks, needing to free up some space and get rid of stuff thats not much use!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
It sounds like its the same as what we all do for the N249. Just bin it but leave all electrical connections, connected. Might do this. :D

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
I've been thinking of resistor + heat sinking all the un-used plugs so that it keeps the ECU happy but need to know if any of them change their output signal at different rpm's, times, etc.

Havent really looked into removing it much before posting but will have a further look today just how many electrical connectors will be left un-plugged.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Bill, what did you do regarding the carbon cannister electrical connection? Leave it connected or just disconect it? Reason for wanting it removed is similar to yours.

Also did you just disctonnect the sec. pump too but leave the solenoids there??

Not doing this for looks, needing to free up some space and get rid of stuff thats not much use!

Bump on these connections. Mines been ditched and was wondering what ohm resistance i need to keep the ecu happy.

Phil.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Phil, I'll let you know if it's 330ohm when I've tried one on mine. So far the secondary air pump and anything attached to it has been removed, same for all the junk on the top of the block.

Just waiting for my block off plate to come from the US before I take off the whole SAI system (that is if the plate requires the valve been taken off the block).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.