1.2 to 1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0 conversion

klimite

Hey all, Tried searching but had no luck

how feasible is it to do an engine swap from the 1.2 3cyl to a 1.4/1.6 first of all?
costs, parts that need changing etc etc.. the 1.2 is great on pick up and pottering about but lacks torque etc, and tbh spending loads on exhausts/ intakes etc is a bit of a waste an engine that small..

also what options/ prices for 1.8/2.0 conversions? maybe the vr6 engine?

Cheers

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Sell it & buy a 1.8T Ibiza - much cheaper

Feasible yes, utterly pointless though. Never build what you can buy.

klimite

not really the response I was after tbh...

only wanting to know due to the engine being on it's last legs..

Don't even like the cars I wouldn't buy another one, But it's what I'm stuck with..

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
ok well ecu, engine mounts are different, gearbox, suspension, brakes, drive shafts etc etc. With the money you spend on parts alone you could buy another car, plus insurance companies will love you

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
OK... if you've got the money to buy the bits, you should buy another car.

1.8T engine, loom, gearbox, shafts, ECU, brakes, wheels, hub carriers, suspension, exhaust, intercooler pipework is nowhere near free.

Sorry if it's not the answer you want, but if you've got the three grand you'll easily need - chucking it at a car you don't like is foolhardy.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The cost of the swap would be immense and without proper equipment, wiring diagrams, experience and time it just wouldnt work mate.

You'd have to change the ecu - which would mean the immobilliser would need adapting or removing
Create your own wiring loom - to accomidate for different style sensors and the addition of the 4th coil and plug

Etc etc

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
not really the response I was after tbh...

only wanting to know due to the engine being on it's last legs..

Don't even like the cars I wouldn't buy another one, But it's what I'm stuck with..

if you dont like the cars, it would make more sense to sell it and buy something you do like, rather than spend all that time and money on a car "you dont like"

klimite

I was asking about the 1.4/1.6 engine mainly...as that's what I'd be looking at...

klimite

if you dont like the cars, it would make more sense to sell it and buy something you do like, rather than spend all that time and money on a car "you dont like"

the cars worth **** all, it was used as the family crash about car before I was involved in an accident.

scratched up and dents all over it, not even worth £800

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
if its not worth over £800, then what makes you think it is worthh spending a good few grand on it? im sorry but i have to agree with what other people are saying, its not worth it.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
seen a few really nice conversion jobs in diffferent mags, redline, vw performance etc, most involve the 1.8t and run some serious power, seen a few with th vr6 engine, and even some of 3.2v6 super or turbo charged, but ive never seen a 1.6.
Though of gtting a 1.4tsi engine from a breakers if you could sorce it? would be a better option, either way im sure your looking at some serious money and effort, but if its what you want then go for it. once you start all that though you might as well plan on a complete respray etc too, otherwise whats the point in leaving it looking like s*"t?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
There's no point spunkin a load of cash on it then mate, unfortunatly its not as easy (or fun) as it used to be. Swapping an engine, especially one with an immobilliser cant jsut be done in a few hours without any research of how to bypass it.

klimite

Shall have to save and return to the mgr scene I thinks....

Was mainly looking at a 1.4 drop tbh as that bit more torque etc will help when pottering along on the duel carrage way etc

klimite

Not to worry ey, cheers for finally getting some actual info rather than opinions though :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.