17965 Limp mode. Help would be much appreciated!

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok lads,

I was having the annoying 17536 (system too lean) problem for quite a while putting me into constant limp mode. Finally bought a new maf which cleared that problem.

However I am still running limp, now due to 17965 (positive deviation or overboost as I read on here). This fault comes back immediately after clearing (first time I use boost)

I've searched this code, and althought it mostly appears on Tdi's??, I read that it is either N75 valve, leak in vac hoses, or MAP sensor, or sticky turbo valve's (not sure about them...)

anyway, I checked the vac hoses also those going to and from n75 valve and they are sound.

Then checked if TIP was on nicely, as this was the problem with Danny Lad last year, but this is nice and snug as well.

However did see that I am missing an entire bolt, nut and washer from the downpipe!! So thats being held on by 3 instead of 4 now. Anyone know the parts numbers to those 3 items so I can atleast replace that? Surely thats losing me some boost...

also, I noticed that the MAP sensor isn't too tight on the Forge replacing pipe; but of course due to these cars being so tightly built engine wise, I need to take the map sensor pipe out to tighten it. Will do this shortly.

So if someone could shed some light on those parts numbers (i looked at the k03s list, but not sure which ones are the correct ones) and possibly other cures I would be extatic.

Selling the car like this will be very difficult ;)

cheers lads

Last edited:

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Yeah mate, I had seen that thanx

as for N valve direction; I only took it out once when I fitted the TIP, and that was something like 2 years ago, so I would have had problems with this before.

The bolt, nut and washer is on the k03s list iirc as I believe I did change them when I placed the K03s (i bought everyhting on that list)

Still not sure what that VNT variable nozzle turbo is though??

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
ok i remember now:

Nut: N 102 090 05
washer: 056 103 377
Stud: N 907 678 01

will order in the morning and get that tight. Will tighten the MAP sensor as well and go from there...

maybe a small run with maf unplugged to see if boost goes up?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok the problem has not been solved and was hoping for more of you lads' wisdom...

I bought a new MAF and when i stick that on, the traction control light comes on straight away. It came back as 1314 (i believe) which had something to do with a fault code stored. Then shortly after that the engine management comes on with 17536 (system lean). Furthermore, it remains in limp mode for the entire drive.

Then I bought a cheap maf off ebay, a non bosch one, and when I stick that on the traction control light doesn't come on. The engine management also doesn;t however when I scan it, it does come back with 17965 (positive deviation). Again the car is in limp mode.

The weird thing is; with the cheap maf boost sometimes creeps up to 0.5 bar and then drops quickly back to around 0.3-0.4 bar.
With the Bosch maf it struggles even more. WHen i try to boost it will feel like the turbo is stalling and I can;t get any positive boost really. Sometimes the car will even stall...

This makes me think its got a leak somewhere. But i could really use some help.

cheers

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok, i put in the 4th downpipe bolt then changed the 8mm vac hosing to the n75.

Now the car won;t even run on the original Bosch maf. Cuts off straight after firing up

On the ebay maf it does run, but not fast enough. When i unplug the maf it goes like stink, but then the codes come up.

any ideas anyone?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Ok, i put in the 4th downpipe bolt then changed the 8mm vac hosing to the n75.

Now the car won;t even run on the original Bosch maf. Cuts off straight after firing up

On the ebay maf it does run, but not fast enough. When i unplug the maf it goes like stink, but then the codes come up.

any ideas anyone?

You sure the maf is on the right way round? :p

tommy2008cupra

know anyone with a similiar car to maybe try there n75 to rule it out?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise