2016 FR New Key

Nov 30, 2019
I need a new (spare) key for my 2016 Leon FR, ive been to Timpsons locally and they are quoting £300 for a new key and to code it. A bit of google homework tells me i can't code the key myself like the older models, so im looking elsewhere to try to find one a bit cheaper. Has any members found somewhere a bit more reasonable for this in the past.

Cheers

Rich

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
Where are you? There's a guy local to the Derby/Notts area that does car key mobile. There maybe someone similar local to you.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm surprised Timsons have said they can code it. i thought it was a dealer only job.

Nov 30, 2019
Bugger, did not want to pay dealer price for this, ive had multiple replys from local people sying they can't do it now. Im in South Wales, may have to bight the bullet and phone the local dealer.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm surprised Timsons have said they can code it. i thought it was a dealer only job.

I'd think that Timsons copy/clone a new key, so how much of an issue that is when these cars all use "rolling" codes I can't say, but it does seem to work for some people though not what VW Group had worked out was best for security.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If Timsons can do it then cool. I've never heard of anyone other than the dealer being able to code replacement keys before.

I was told that only the dealer could do it as the key has to be coded to the car. The key is put into the car, the car is connected to the VW Big Brother computer and the computer tells the car to accept the key. It certainly sounds like something VW would do as you can't get around it and it lets them charge more or less whatever they like for a key. If you can get a key some other way that's good news.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I've had to have a replacement key for mine, and a local auto locksmith quoted £90 for coding the key in. At the time he said you have to access VWAG servers to get the Immobiliser code to do it and pay for that access, which again at the time he quoted as being £30 a pop. I also got a new key directly from Seat pre-cut to the cars locks, in total that cost £178 + VAT.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've had to have a replacement key for mine, and a local auto locksmith quoted £90 for coding the key in. At the time he said you have to access VWAG servers to get the Immobiliser code to do it and pay for that access, which again at the time he quoted as being £30 a pop. I also got a new key directly from Seat pre-cut to the cars locks, in total that cost £178 + VAT.

This all sounds pretty good as the last quote I got from a dealer was something mental like £450!

Cupra300Jay

Apr 1, 2019
Sounds a bit pricey to me,

On my Seat system comes up price for key fob only £162.37 minus the VAT

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I worked for Kia, new key fob-£250+, key blade £15ish, coding £40+vat. The old and new keys are coded together to the car, there are contractors who can do this but may not work out cheaper as their coding costs can be dearer, Kia figures but Seat may be similar?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members