312mm Conversion Guide?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
i'm going to tackle my 312mm conversion this week on my TDI (weather permitting ov course!)

I've got the following:-

Brembo MAX discs
Ferodo DS2500 pads
VAG 312mm Carriers + pins + seals
A couple spare bleed nipples
Copper grease
Wire brush
Caliper rewind tool

Things to still get:-

Goodridge SS hoses
Halfords self bleeding kit thingy
Brake fluid (What type do I get?)

--------------

So, I remove the front wheels and then:-

1) Unbolt the old carriers + remove old pads
2) Tiewrap caliper so it doesnt hang
3) Remove discs + clean hub with wire brush
4) Copper grease the hub, fix new discs
5) Remove old hoses and catch fluid in container (Do I need to remove brake reservoir cap at this point?)
6) Rewind the caliper using rewind tool
7) Connect up new hoses
8) Attach new 312 carriers
9) Insert new pads and fix all together
10) Take rear wheels off and put new hoses on
10) Fill up brake reservoir and use self bleed system (never used one of these before so not got a clue lol)

Does this sound right? As I've only got axle stands and one car jack i'll only be able to jack the front or rear at any one time......so am I best doing this all as described above or is there another way to do it?

I presume all the fluid will drain as im replacnig the hoses, so is it worth buying the racing fluid or just normal DOT stuff? How much does the system need from completely empty?

Sorry bout all the question, I just want to get this right - I want to do this myself, self satisfaction 'n all that jazz.

Any tips/advice would be welcome. :)

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
It is not a good idea to let all the fluid drain out, the best way to stop this is to find some hose that will fit over the brake pipe and block one end with a bolt or something, then when you undo the connection push the hose over the pipe and it should stop the fluid escaping.
For the rubber flexi pipe's you can get clamps which you put on the hose to stop the fluid running out, they are very good, halfords do them they look like plastic wire cutters and are orange.
Make sure you keep the top on the brake fluid pot while any pipes are disconnected, then when you have replaced all the brakes you can work your way round the car and bleed the brakes, if everything has gone according to plan any air will be by the calipers and not any further in the system, just make sure you top the fluid up as you bleed so all the fluid that comes out is replaced and no air gets into the top of the system.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
id do the conversion, keeping the oem fluid in the reservoir by clamping as above and take to get pressure bled properly, use motul rb 600 fluid mate.

hard work with easybleed.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Can you mix the standard fluid with the 600? i am going to get mine bled and wanted to replace with the 600 tried to do it earlier this year but the garage i went to said the fluid would attack the seals???? so need special racing seals???? so i left it as i didn't know if that was correct.