312mm disc splash guards part number needed

mfish

Dec 19, 2007
Midlands
I'm looking to upgrade my front brakes to 312mm and have everything I need apart from the splash guards. I do want to fit these but my dealer seems unable to help as i don't have the chassis number or reg of a car with these parts fitted.
So basically does anyone know the part numbers for the 312mm disc splash guards for a Leon?
Cheers in advance guys

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Assuming they are the same as a Mk4 Golf with 312 brakes the part numbers you need are:

-312 Splash guards 1J0615311B and 1J0615312B

I did this to my Mk4 Golf the other week, they worked out about a fiver each inc vat.
P1010267.jpg

P1010288.jpg

Last edited:

chrisphysics

SEAT Lover
Jun 22, 2008
Sheffield
Can someone explain the purpose of the "splash guards". What would splash?

I know my Leon FR petrol has the 312mm brakes so will it have these guards?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
If it had the 312 brakes from the factory then it should have the 312 splash guards.
Some people upgrade from 288's to 312's but don't necessarily fit the bigger splash guards.
When I converted to 312's I wanted it to look factory so for an extra tenner I bought the 312 splash guards.
I assume the splash guards are there to try and prevent the discs from warping or cracking from splashed water when the discs are hot?

chrisphysics

SEAT Lover
Jun 22, 2008
Sheffield
If it had the 312 brakes from the factory then it should have the 312 splash guards.
Some people upgrade from 288's to 312's but don't necessarily fit the bigger splash guards.
When I converted to 312's I wanted it to look factory so for an extra tenner I bought the 312 splash guards.
I assume the splash guards are there to try and prevent the discs from warping or cracking from splashed water when the discs are hot?

Yes they're from the factory. Sounds like they're pretty important if it's to stop disks cracking.

Makes me laugh, I used to have a Mk4 Golf GTI, and after a hard drive and got back and washed the car. I loved the steam coming off the brakes as I sprayed them with the hose pipe. What an idiot. Well at leased I didn't crack them.

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
I'm about to do the conversion & I won't be putting back plates (splash guards??) back on. No point in my opinion as they just reduce the ability for the disc to cool. In motorsport, they remove them to aid cooling.... With regards to cracking discs, a few years ago I did road rallies in a Nissan Cherry Turbo & on events the discs used to glow orange regularly and with being in Wales the roads were very wet very often & I had no problems with cracking or warping. Unless you want the 'OE look', don't waste your money to reduce efficiency.

Jayt

Oct 5, 2007
also i think they may prevent stones getting in behind and damaging the abs sensor too, like what happened to mine...

mfish

Dec 19, 2007
Midlands
I will need to head back to mums tonight to see if I can remove the pipes and swich them over.
I have had the calipers powder coated so does anyone know if i can use the left on the right and the right on the left? as I cant remember seeing any rotation arrows on the caliper and if they are the same other than the side the pipes run it would seem silly to swap the pipes over.
If any one knows please gt back to me asap as i want to try and arrange all the jobs to be done as I want to fit them on saturday if possible

mfish

Dec 19, 2007
Midlands
on another matter I will be working on the rears as well, does anyone have the correct torque settings for rear wheel bearing, rear caliper to 'hub' and 'floating' part of caliper to the caliper body.
Cheers guys

sabredylan

I'm looking to upgrade my front brakes to 312mm and have everything I need apart from the splash guards. I do want to fit these but my dealer seems unable to help as i don't have the chassis number or reg of a car with these parts fitted.
So basically does anyone know the part numbers for the 312mm disc splash guards for a Leon?
Cheers in advance guys

Ring VAG Parts, details on their internet site. They will sort you out and they will be cheaper

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
dont want to sound like an idiot but ive got an LC 180 and im looking to get a nice set of grooved discs.... and on most webites ive found they say that for my car the discs are 288's???

so do LC's (180 prefacelift) have 312's or 288's????:confused:

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
I removed a set of 312 caliper carriers from a written off pre-facelift Leon Cupra and fitted them to my Golf so I am pretty certain that they come with 312s as standard assuming the original owner hadn't upgraded. Just whip a front wheel off and put a tape measure across them.

cordoba lad

Back in the Midlands
May 24, 2005
Warwick
Im going to be ordering some 312mm splash guards next week for my upgrade. Do they also do them for the rear in 256mm or would i not need them for the rear??

Yes you can get them for the rear however they are a bit of a pain in the backside to fit because you have to remove the rear hubs to be able to remove the old ones. It is a bit of a faff and you will need a three arm puller. The other option is to cut the lip off the original one. Personally I went down the OE route and brought the rear guards and am very happy with how it all looks. Plus I can sleep easy knowing that they muck and stone can't score my discs.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.