a11y's new car (no longer in Seat ownership...)

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
a11y's new car (no longer a Seat owner...)

MIDLIFE CRISES ALERT, MIDLIFE CRISIS ALERT...

Following the subtle change in avatar message last week (and me turning 30 on Tuesday), I eventually took some pics of my new car. It’s a f**king great time to be buying a car, with new cars sales flat-lining and the used car market on it’s @rse. Luckily I sold my Ibiza (55-plate Cupra TDI) for a good price at the start of December, giving me the pick of the market.

I considered and tried a few cars before settling on my choice, but ruled all else out in the end:
VX220 n/a – fun, mental handling, but I struggled to get in and out it (I’ve suffer from back trouble)
350z – good handling but low rent interior IMO and high(er) running costs
Clio V6 mk2 – just can’t get it out my system but decent ones were above my budget
Z3M Coupe – still too much £££ for a decent example
Z4 Coupe – above my budget

So I’ve bought a 3.0 BMW Z4 Roadster. Picked it up from Hartlepool Monday last week and my initial impressions are everything I expected. It’s good handling, fun to drive, reasonably quick, has a great interior, and is reasonably cheap to run. And that straight-6 engine… what an engine.

- 231hp / 221lbft
- M Sport suspension & optional 18’s
- I avoided the M Sport seats as I’ve got too much “girth” (across the shoulders…) to get comfy in them
- covered only 18.5k miles
- just over 4 years old

It should prove cheaper than my old CTR to run: same road tax band, cheaper insurance(!), better MPG despite better performance, even tyres are cheaper if I go for normal (non run-flats). I just decided I’d had enough of diesel and thought “F**k it!”

And the best part? I bought it privately and only paid what I sold my Ibiza for plus £2.6k. That’s from an Ibiza with an initial RRP of £16.5k, to a Z4 with an RRP of £33k but 11 months older, for the sum of £2.6k. Mental. The used car bargains out there really are brilliant…

It ain’t clean as I’ve done 500 miles since Monday with Christmas visits and the like, but I don’t care LOL, I’m enjoying the driving too much. Not sure I’ll be around on SCN that often now so cheers for everyone who gave advice (good and bad LOL) an generally contributed to the banter…

Moving on:

2008-12-29pic4.jpg

2008-12-29pic6.jpg

2008-12-29pic8.jpg

2008-12-29pic10.jpg

2008-12-29pic13.jpg

2008-12-29pic15.jpg

2008-12-29pic17.jpg

2008-12-29pic18.jpg

2008-12-29pic20.jpg

Cheers
Ally

Deleted member 13581

Looks like youve got yourself a great car and deal there ally. Looks a beauty.

Pleasure meeting you, and getting proper pictures. :lol:

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
You knocked out a Clio V6 for one of those! :-o

Each to their own buddy! But I would say - proper midlife crisis! :lol:

Enjoy it all the same!

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Thanks Andy. That night feels like a while back but was only earlier this year, wow.

And aye, I've got a history with sporty Clios and always hankered after a V6, but in all honesty I need something slightly more practical than a V6. At least with the Z4 I've got a boot lol.

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Cheers

Yep, some bargains to be had out there. Worth the extra for a Z4 over any Z3 though - chassis is several times stiffer, much better handling. And yeah, it is a poser's car :funk: but at least mine - unlike the majority of Z4's - has the engine to back it up! Would've love an M version but still waaaay above my budget.

Ally

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.