ABD Racing Intake Manifold

jamiebennett81

Has anyone tried this on there 1.8T

I have just purchased an Audi R8 oil cap as had an oil change and mine is completely shagged but came across this:D.....

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/produc...=349&jssCart=642ff641204dbe7e08ad36b6e00070db

manifold.jpg

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Looks nice, alot bigger than a standard inlet. Would be nice to look down inside it, but even the ABD website doesn't have pics of that :shrug: Nice to see an uprated manifold with the inlet on the drivers side tho :D

jamiebennett81

Looks nice, alot bigger than a standard inlet. Would be nice to look down inside it, but even the ABD website doesn't have pics of that :shrug: Nice to see an uprated manifold with the inlet on the drivers side tho :D

Yeah that's the reason I mainly posted as you don't see many with the TB on the drivers side! I might email them to get some pics of the inside of it or any graphs showing performance gains. Although still over kill on a hybrid K03 turbo though....

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I stumbled across these other day to, be interested to know proven power increases rather than claim ones.

They look pretty good price to me :)

jamiebennett81

I stumbled across these other day to, be interested to know proven power increases rather than claim ones.

They look pretty good price to me :)

I know mate, very very tempted indeed.....

I have just emailed them to see if there is any more info i.e. pics of the inside of the mani and before and after RR graphs

RobDon

Pro Detailer
From what I've heard about it it's one of the worst manifolds on the market. They've been out for years and not one single dyno has ever been produced by ABD. VW Vortex did an inlet manifold test and it was one of the worst.

The flowbench testers said of it: They said it was a big piece of crap. They remarked on how sloppy the lower flange was with regard to port alignment. (which i confirmed by comparing to an APR and my 007). They also complained about the casting slag. They didnt like that it used OE injector bosses. They basically said that while it performed moderately well, that it just wasnt a nice part.

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

From what I've heard about it it's one of the worst manifolds on the market. They've been out for years and not one single dyno has ever been produced by ABD. VW Vortex did an inlet manifold test and it was one of the worst.

ha ha, thanks Rob....looks like I will be steering well clear of them then.

Will be interesting to see if I get any response. They are obviously that price for a reason then:cartman:

jamiebennett81

Hmmmm their comments are interesting as it does not fit very well and call it a pile of crap, but yet they then go on to comment it performs moderately well and this is shown in the graphs so their comments seem a little inconsistent :blink:

you get what you pay for and compared to APR an SEM it's quite alot cheaper

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
I think what i have learned from this is that plenums are not one size fits all. it looks to me like the plenum design is necesitated by the runner style.. for example: By basically widening a stock plenum, ABD got a stock throttle configuration and stock runners to do pretty good. This tells me that the problem with the stock manifold is that the plenum isnt right for the runners. not necisarily that they are both bad designs. Now if ABD could just do something about their TERRIBLE secondary machining on the casting, it would be a contender in my eyes...

Looks to me like the ABD isn't that bad performing, but the manufacturing quality is crap. That it uses a stock throttle body and stock runners also could contributeto the erm... keen pricing.

Edit: It also appears to be the only drivers side throttle body of the small port ones they tested, although I think RMR do a small port manifold. Would be interesting to see if a change in inlet manifold would give much, if any gains on a car with standard turbo.

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

sent them an email and they have replied already

I have forwarded the link of that review to them, and am awaiting a response or any comments on it....

jamiebennett81

Moderate performance and badly made - why even consider buying it, it's almost £400?

didnt say I was going to buy it Rob:confused: I posted this up to create discussion around it and what people thought

yes it is poorly made, agreed on that, but for a cheap price it offers OK gains to be had

I am interested to see what they come back to me on email with if they read that review (if they haven't seen it already that is)

I was just interested as there are not that many drivers side TB uprated manifolds about TBH

EDIT: I wont buy it either way

ozzy123

Dec 21, 2008
Ive had one your right not any major gain,look v nice.I think it might help further down with other upgrades.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
We have been waiting for these to come in as ABD have changed the manufacturer`s
Plus I think they made better gains with standard turbo`s , where they was tested with bigger turbo`s

Sarah

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania

It might have been a piece of crap for manufacturing quality reasons, but their actual numbers have shown that:

- it flows 22% better than stock small port manifold (which we have on our LCs/LCRs);
- it has the most equal flow of all manifolds tested (practically all competitors had major differences between runners, stock being worst);
- it has the throttle body on the same side as stock and can therefore fit all stock ancillaries.

Judging by the time and labor needed for fitting, it might have had best value for money.

If (and only if) it does provide better results on stock K03"s", K04 or hybrids with similar performance, it might be an option.

~Nautilus

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members